Small, affordable combo amps with reverb and tremolo.

honeyiscool

• Members

Haha, that's not very reassuring!

Yeah, I have two Pathfinders right now. I tried the LED "mod" and installed an Accutronics and changed to a Jensen on the combo (made in Vietnam), and kept stock the head (made in Korea), and honestly, as much as I thought the mods made a huge difference on the combo at first, but when I tried them out with the matching 210 Pathfinder speakers one after the other, both of them sounded equally good. Maybe the reverb was a hair better on the combo, but it was not even that noticeable, honestly.

Now, the Pathfinder 210 cabinet is awesome, yeah. It really does sound quite good and looks extremely attractive. I haven't found any faults with it but if I do, I'll get a pair of nice drivers for it. I like the form factor enough that I thought about having one just like it built for me. At last rehearsal in my garage, we were rehearsing with a drummer and I used the Pathfinder combo plugged into an Epiphone Valve Jr. 112 cab and the other guitarist used the Pathfinder stack. We both sounded great.

They really need to release that 210 cabinet again. Maybe it was too good for their liking.

I guess if I don't really need more amps that do the scratchy Vox thing. Maybe the Orange Dark Terror?

Vox Pathfinder 15R

Yeah, I have two of these.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you can spend the extra bucks, or find a used one, I would definitely consider the Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue. No one does on-board reverb and tremelo better.

You really need to crank the Deluxe Reverb to really take advantage of it. Anything around 3 or higher is ear-splitting.

Oh yeah - forgot about the Princeton. Probably better for his purposes. Good call.

I thought you said you had a Vox AC15 c1? That would be even better (in my opinion). Great amp.

• Members

Here's an oddball for you, the Eagletone 615T- 15 watt 1x10 with 2xEL84, reverb and trem for $160.

http://www.musicfactorydirect.com/p-435-eagletone-615t-tube-amp.aspx

I've never seen one in person and there's very little info online, but a guy over at offsetguitars.com bought one and liked it. I thought about picking one up to check it out, but other priorities got in the way. Be the guinea pig!

• Members

The Excelsior? No verb, though. I need verb!

That said, I don't really need verb. It's not that important in a rehearsal setting anyway. Why do I insist on it? I'm silly. That amp would probably sound super mellow and great.

Someone needs to guinea pig these for the rest of us ;) Just tape your nano grail to the chasis - would look soooooooooooooo cooooooool! :thu:

• Members

I've heard new Ampegs sometimes have questionable build standards and that their combos are susceptible to rattle at high volumes. Confirm, deny?

12 watt amps are ridiculously loud for most non-live settings.

These things don't sound better than a Pathfinder plugged into a good cab, though.

Deny on vintage Ampegs. No clue on the new ones. Yep, I had to get the amp gone through, and have the electrolytics replaced. No rattle at high volume. I did pull the original 1960 Jensen out because I was getting a bit of cone scream at high volume. Replaced it with a nice Weber. It's amazing. And if you want the RAWK, jumper the two channels together. Hello gain.

• Members

I've heard new Ampegs sometimes have questionable build standards and that their combos are susceptible to rattle at high volumes. Confirm, deny?

No vintage Ampegs are solid. But many have not been maintained. There is always the caveat that any vintage amp is a false bargain...you want to budget for all new electrolytics and all new tubes, plus blueprinting the circuit for all the resistors and coupling caps that have drifted out of tolerance (especially the resistors that have been exposed to power tube heat over the decades). It may need little of any of this, but often needs much of it and the costs can add up fast, though once done, you should get another 20+ years of loyal service out of it.

The other caveat with Ampegs is the smaller ones all use very hard to find tubes in the preamp and poweramp, the middle-to-large ones are more straight-forward.

• Members

Here's an oddball for you, the Eagletone 615T- 15 watt 1x10 with 2xEL84, reverb and trem for $160.

I've never seen one in person and there's very little info online, but a guy over at offsetguitars.com bought one and liked it. I thought about picking one up to check it out, but other priorities got in the way. Be the guinea pig!

Yes.. definitely be the guinea pig and report back to us.

• Members

If you're ok with a solid state amp (oh heavens!), the Fender Deluxe 900 is a very powerful little amp that can do all kinds of stuff - reverb, vibrato, tremelo, slap echo, etc. Has a 12" Celestion speaker, bright Fender sound. I've had one for a backup amp for years.

• Members

You can always roll your own -> http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20597125

It took me a while, and cost a bit to work it out, but with that done, you can pick a V8 up for $100-$150 and toss another $100 at it in mods and you're set. Great little 5 watt rig with gain/volume, FX loop, spring reverb, tremolo and a 10" speaker.

Archived