Guitar Show rant ....

blind radish

• Members

OK ....

so I went to the Orlando guitar show yesterday with a 96 les paul special. My price for the guitar was clearly listed ON THE CASE to save me some time of opening and closing the case for those who did not like the price.

my price was $75 over the going value for a special in 9 out of 10 condition in a hard case.

dealer after dealer asks to see the guitar and 90 % of them proceed to ask me my rock bottom price. I knock off the $75 (which is what they all were doing when you ask THEM their rock bottom)

then nearly every one of them explains to me how they would not be able to make any money if they buy my guitar at my price.

I say OK, and while I am closing up the case they make me ridiculous offers like $300 below my asking price.

some explain how they need to make a profit and how they have storefronts and employees and inventory and blah blah.

I'm not a kid. I know how the world of business works.

Here is the rant ... I PUT MY PRICE ON THE CASE -- that is my price. If my price is too high, then let me look at your merchandise and move on. DON'T tell me my guitar is not worth what I think it is. I'm not a wholesaler, or a dealer.

I really brought the guitar on the idea that a show patron might be interested. I pretty much knew the dealers would want it cheaper.

But the condescending lectures were really annoying.

OK ... I feel better ... start swinging ...

:)

• Members

If a store buys your guitar for the same price they'll selling it for, it's a pointless transaction. Dealers have to buy with some room to make a few bucks, else they're wasting their time. You want retail? Buy your own shop and sell it for retail. You want someone to do that for you? Expect to take less than you're asking.

• Members

If a store buys your guitar for the same price they'll selling it for, it's a pointless transaction. Dealers have to buy with some room to make a few bucks, else they're wasting their time. You want retail? Buy your own shop and sell it for retail. You want someone to do that for you? Expect to take less than you're asking.

Thank you for restating both the lessons I learned at the show, and those that I stated in my original post.

• Members

Thank you for restating both the lessons I learned at the show, and those that I stated in my original post.

If you learned those lessons already, why are you crying like a child over something that should be common sense? There is a reason GC pays 50% of what they sell for on Ebay.

• Members

If you learned those lessons already, why are you crying like a child over something that should be common sense? There is a reason GC pays 50% of what they sell for on Ebay.

Let me cut out the salient points of my original rant ...

I PUT MY PRICE ON THE CASE -- that is my price. If my price is too high, then let me look at your merchandise and move on. DON'T tell me my guitar is not worth what I think it is. I'm not a wholesaler, or a dealer.

I really brought the guitar on the idea that a show patron might be interested. I pretty much knew the dealers would want it cheaper.

• Members

If you didn't expect haggling, why did you bother? I mean, I know you know that dealers are going to want to deal, but just because you put a freaking price on something doesn't mean that's what you are going to sell it for...hell, if that was the case I would never have gotten so many of the deals I've gotten over the years! At things like guitar shows, prices are kind of like "relative values" of things. I've had the same conversations with buyers that say "I can get a NEW one for only $100 more!" :facepalm: such is the way of things.

• Members

I wasn't opposed to haggling, I was opposed to being lectured about why my guitar is not priced properly so that a dealer can make money.

Here is haggling.

How much do you want for it?

I want $200.

I'll give you $50.

Sorry that's not gonna work for me.

OK ... good luck.

/haggle

• Members

I wasn't opposed to haggling, I was opposed to
being lectured
about why my guitar is not priced properly so that a dealer can make money.

I can see that, but you kept going on about your price being on the case; which implied that the negotiation was what was bothering you.

• Members

I wasn't opposed to haggling, I was opposed to
being lectured
about why my guitar is not priced properly so that a dealer can make money.

Here is haggling.

How much do you want for it?

I want $200.

I'll give you $50.

Sorry that's not gonna work for me.

OK ... good luck.

/haggle

Ah.. I see. The dealers should have known that by putting a price on your guitar and taking it to a guitar show that you were not interested in selling it at a price they could profit on. Yes, I can see why you are upset. :rolleyes: Where I come from they call that baiting an argument. Maybe you know it by another name?

• Members

How did your price compare to what the dealers were selling similar for? I'm sure you're honest, don't get me wrong, but all other things being equal I'd feel more confident buying from a recognised dealer where I had a bit more comeback if anything goes wrong. Could that have affected saleability in this context?

I'd suggest also there might have been another reason for dealers to give you lowball offers in this economic climate. While - as you say yourself - what they said was true, it could also be that they simply chanced a lowball offer just in case you were in a position that you couldn't afford not to sell, at whatever price. There are a lot of desperate people out there these days, and dealers know it - they'll not be shy about snapping up a bargain if they think it's on offer. That's capitalism. :idk:

• Members

Let me cut out the salient points of my original rant ...

I PUT MY PRICE ON THE CASE -- that is my price. If my price is too high, then let me look at your merchandise and move on. DON'T tell me my guitar is not worth what I think it is. I'm not a wholesaler, or a dealer.

I really brought the guitar on the idea that a show patron might be interested.
I pretty much knew the dealers would want it cheaper.

Your rant is that DEALERS will not pay you retail price. And u get mad. Get a {censored}ing clue! Did you think these retailers were lying when they told you they wouldn't buy at retail? Have you no common sense?

• Members

I think some of us may be missing his point. If I'm reading his posts correctly, he knew that he was asking dealers' price for his guitar, and it was not his intention to try to sell it to a dealer (who he understands needs to buy used merchandise at a price point that allows for mark up - aka profit). He was hoping to sell it (at dealers' price) to another non-dealer. His beef is that all of that being the case, dealers still asked to see his guitar (he was not soliciting dealers) and then they proceeded to scold him for what he was asking.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, then I can sort of see his point. But at the same time, I think you have to expect that to some degree when you take an item to a show as a patron.

• Members

Your rant is that DEALERS will not pay you retail price. And u get mad. Get a {censored}ing clue! Did you think these retailers were lying when they told you they wouldn't buy at retail? Have you no common sense?

I guess I'll make my last point then let you all whip the {censored} out of me until you get tried or lonely.

The price on my case was really to let dealers know what I wanted for the guitar. If you go into a guitar shop and you see a used guitar that has a sticker price of say $1,000 ... you might ask the store manager to sell it for $850 or so. You would not say ... I'll give you $500 for it.

The prices offered were $300 below my haggle price. And when I told them no thanks for the offer, all I got was lecture on why my price was too high.

I probably made a mistake in not listing my bottom line price on the case with the word FIRM ... that would have been the prudent course.

My other mistake was listing my rant here ... so that I could get another dose of condescension from a few. For the others, thanks for your thoughts.

Archived