Guitar Show rant ....

blind radish

• Members

Posting your rant here makes you look like a douche nozzle. If you knew right away what would happen, why are you so surprised it happened? I don't get it.

The douche nozzles are the people that can't comprehend the point of his post, even though it was clearly stated.

• Members

If I'm interpreting this correctly, then I can sort of see his point. But at the same time, I think you have to expect that to some degree when you take an item to a show as a patron.

You have to remember that the dealers paid to be there and to have a table. That's what funds the show and makes the show possible. It's a business for them and the people that put on the show. To that end the purpose of the show is to bring in buyers to facilitate dealers making a profit. So if you're walking around looking to take advantage of the presence of lots of potential buyers you're fishing in their pond. Gotta expect they are going to try to work a profitable deal or piss you off trying.

If you don't come back next time because you didn't enjoy the experience that's one less guy trying to take a sale away from one of them. That's the point.

• Members

Two hours ago, on my lunch break, I wandered into a local pawn shop to kill some time. There was a scoped and bi-podded Bushmaster AR-15 carbine on the counter with a $1000 price on the tag. I offered them $200 for it. They didn't bite.

Hey, it's worth a shot, right?

I don't know why I'm posting this, but there it is.

• Members

I think some of us may be missing his point. If I'm reading his posts correctly, he knew that he was asking dealers' price for his guitar, and it was not his intention to try to sell it to a dealer (who he understands needs to buy used merchandise at a price point that allows for mark up - aka profit). He was hoping to sell it (at dealers' price) to another non-dealer. His beef is that all of that being the case, dealers still asked to see his guitar (he was not soliciting dealers) and then they proceeded to scold him for what he was asking.

If I'm interpreting this correctly, then I can sort of see his point. But at the same time, I think you have to expect that to some degree when you take an item to a show as a patron.

I see you've brought a respectful and well-reasoned perspective to the table. As this is the internet, I shall have to ask you to leave.

• Members

Here's a run of the mill guitar I no longer want.

Let me go to the guitar show and try to sell it .No need to pay for a booth like the dealers. I'll paste the price on it so everyone can see it as I aimlessly walk around... I'm soooo clever.

Nobody bites, so I have nothing more to do than to go offer it to dealers.

Dealers are smart and in the market to make cash. They are business men. Those evil mofos try to give you less money than what you want... even though your guitar is unique, only another million have been made... even though it's used and by you no less! Besides evil and greedy, they are obviously stupid and know nothing about guitars... at all.

To end a {censored}ty day, you start a rant about it here... changing the details a bit of course. You get pissed off at the people who don't agree with your point of view, even though you asked them to "start swinging".

Thread sucks too and guys are now calling you a douche.

Truly a sad, sad, day.

• Members

Here's a run of the mill guitar I no longer want.

Let me go to the guitar show and try to sell it .No need to pay for a booth like the dealers. I'll paste the price on it so everyone can see it as I aimlessly walk around... I'm soooo clever.

Nobody bites, so I have nothing more to do than to go offer it to dealers.

Dealers are smart and in the market to make cash. They are business men. Those evil mofos try to give you less money than what you want... even though your guitar is unique, only another million have been made... even though it's used and by you no less! Besides evil and greedy, they are obviously stupid and know nothing about guitars... at all.

To end a {censored}ty day,
you start a rant about it here... changing the details a bit of course
. You get pissed off at the people who don't agree with your point of view, even though you asked them to "start swinging".

Thread sucks too and guys are now calling you a douche.

Truly a sad, sad, day.

I'll take Irony for $100, Alex.

• Members

I guess I'll make my last point then let you all whip the {censored} out of me until you get tried or lonely.

The price on my case was really to let dealers know what I wanted for the guitar. If you go into a guitar shop and you see a used guitar that has a sticker price of say $1,000 ... you might ask the store manager to sell it for $850 or so. You would not say ... I'll give you $500 for it.

The prices offered were $300 below my haggle price. And when I told them no thanks for the offer, all I got was lecture on why my price was too high.

I probably made a mistake in not listing my bottom line price on the case with the word FIRM ... that would have been the prudent course.

My other mistake was listing my rant here ... so that I could get another dose of condescension from a few. For the others, thanks for your thoughts.

I think the only mistake you made was opening the case for dealers. Should have just told them ,no I have to get some money out of this one.

• Members

I understand what the OP was going through. I did the same thing at the Austin Vintage Guitar Show in 2005. I actually went to see if I could find out exactly what my '80 Gibson LP Standard was. I ran into Jimmy Wallace the famous Texas guitar dealer who said mine was a proto to the '59 LP Standards that were first sold in '82 by Guitar Trader, Jimmy and a couple of other dealers. He said that i'll get asked to see what's in the case, but not to take anything less that $5000 for it. I refused to open it up for any of the other dealers in the place. I'm assuming if the dealers would offer me $5000 , then it's worth a few bucks more. I've NEVER taken it to any other guitar show since then. Here's a pic of my LP with Jimmy holding it . That's my son in the pic with Jimmy.

000_0087.jpg

Archived