Good Hip-Hop Artists.

2pacHendrix

• Members

NO HATE IS ALLOWED IN MAH THREAD! This thread is intended to open some ears to GOOD hip hop music. If you're coming in here to just hate, press to back button right now. If you want to stick around and listen to the various clips in here, you're in for a surprise. Keep an open mind when listening to these clips and give hip hop a chance.

Hip Hop is more than just music, it's a culture. It was a movement to help people in New York (primaraly The Bronx) not to resort to violence in the streets. It was meant to have a positive message in an urban setting and like all music, is an emotional relief for some artists. In this thread, I want everyone to share some of their favorite hip hop artists, albums, colabs, ect... Most the stuff on the radio is crap, imo. There is a movement going on in the underground scene and this thread is trying to help expose it. You'll be surprised how much music you'll like with an open mind.

And before everyone comes in here hating on hip hop because they sample music, here are some examples of hip hop artists playing their own instruments:

atbbdMaT4vw

LEWvSogd4js&feature=related

Other good stuff:

1.) Unknown Prophets. THEY HAVE A SONG ABOUT PLAYING GUITAR AND EXPRESSING YOURSELF THROUGH MUSIC!!!!!!

If you hate hip hop, this is the group for you. They sing songs about how they are not accepted by the mainstream and how it's alright to be different. Check out 'Mr. Mainstream' and 'Against the Grain' to see what I mean. They tell stories about what they know, not about what's popular. Other good songs 'The Wrong Route', 'Lost in Time' (Good guitar in that song, btw) 'Don't You Cry' and 'It Could Happen To You'

[YOUTUBE]IdS8jZWKo_I[/YOUTUBE]

2.) Wax/ Herbal T. Their twin brothers and they both rap, sing, play guitar, bass and drums... They're pretty talented

Nw6NlI1vy9Y

3.) A Tribe Called Quest- Classic hip hop. It's hip hop... for old people :freak: They use jazz samples and I know some old (around 40) people who like them.

[YOUTUBE]w_-4GFV7uTE[/YOUTUBE]

5.) Random good ones:

Z3IsPbbm3gU&feature=BFa&list=FL8qAuokTYE-o&index=5

[YOUTUBE]vG5La6k6eTI[/YOUTUBE]

And one I think everybody should listen to:

MvefbuPOru0

Here's an interesting blog by someone who loves hip hop. http://hiphopisntdead.blogspot.com/

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Congratulations, my friend, you have opened up a can of worms the likes of which you cannot imagine. It seems many people can't get it into their heads that the very complaints they level against hip-hop are the very same as the complaints leveled against rock in its early days.

In any case, I'll comply:

[YOUTUBE]AnH493ZX5Kw[/YOUTUBE]

The Cool Kids- What Up Man

[YOUTUBE]iwzWJE53dxs[/YOUTUBE]

MF Doom- Vomitspit

[YOUTUBE]XczLJ4-sd8M[/YOUTUBE]

The Streets- Heaven for the Weather

[YOUTUBE]WT_bgCcStCw[/YOUTUBE]

Why?- These Few Presidents

[YOUTUBE]l1llNYAlYrc[/YOUTUBE]

Saul Williams- List of Demands

• Members

I don't know if she counts, but I actually quite like M.I.A. She's somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me I just love "Paper Planes." She had a good ear for music. Though, in most cases, she's probably more pop than hip-hop. But whatever.

• Members

I'll probably get laughed at, but a friend of mine was jamming out to Asher Roth, and I can't say I hated it. The single from his album is actually the worst song on the disc, the rest are pretty cool. Lotsa cool 70's style grooves.

And I'm also into Outkast, P.E., N.W.A., Dre, Snoop and a few others.

• Members

I'll probably get laughed at, but a friend of mine was jamming out to Asher Roth, and I can't say I hated it. The single from his album is actually the worst song on the disc, the rest are pretty cool. Lotsa cool 70's style grooves.

And I'm also into Outkast, P.E., N.W.A., Dre, Snoop and a few others.

Yeah, Asher's got mad talent. His lyrics are pretty ill, check out his remake of 'A mili'

Don't make it seem like a guilty plessure, just make it a plessure. Go onto a roof and scream 'Hey World! I love rap music!'

I actually have some Lil Wayne on my ipod...Yes more than one song :cop::facepalm::facepalm::rolleyes::)

• Members

Yeah, Asher's got mad talent. His lyrics are pretty ill, check out his remake of 'A mili'

Don't make it seem like a guilty plessure, just make it a plessure. Go onto a roof and scream 'Hey World! I love rap music!'

I actually have some Lil Wayne on my ipod...Yes more than one song
:cop::facepalm:
:facepalm:
:rolleyes::)

Not ashamed, I've been meaning to run to Best Buy and buy the CD.

While wearing a Suffocation or Black Dahlia Murder T-shirt.

• Members

Not ashamed, I've been meaning to run to Best Buy and buy the CD.

While wearing a Suffocation or Black Dahlia Murder T-shirt.

Ha, I love doing that. I'll buy a Shins album and a Larry Calrton album at the same store while wearing my Public Enemy shirt. The cashier is like wtf?

Oh and I forgot about Cypress Hill. Did you know they rap about other stuff besides weed, like poverty :eek:

• Members

Ha, I love doing that. I'll buy a Shins album and a Larry Calrton album at the same store while wearing my Public Enemy shirt. The cashier is like wtf?

Oh and I forgot about Cypress Hill. Did you know they rap about other stuff besides weed, like poverty
:eek:

It's fun to {censored} with music store clerks sometimes.

C.H. is pretty cool. And Fun to blaze to as well.:thu:

• Members

blackalicious

:thu:

And Immortal Technique, if no one's already listed.

Also, props for M.I.A. She's probably just as much pop as she is hip-hop, but her style is definitely within that territory. She grew up with punk rockers and goth kids and applied those sensibilities to her music. Good stuff.

• Members

Wale

[YOUTUBE]G6b6MuwFqoo[/YOUTUBE]

Raekwon

*off Doom's newest, Born Like This*

[YOUTUBE]WEggi5tIx2w[/YOUTUBE]

Blackalicious/Sufjan Stevens

*This is off a Sufjan Stevens mixtape put together by Tor called Illinoize.*

[YOUTUBE]4-GzUmwp99w&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Nas

[YOUTUBE]C3VhjRzYtso[/YOUTUBE]

MF Doom

[YOUTUBE]YBT2mFY75FI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Slaughterhouse

[YOUTUBE]kfyEmE57G08&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

ODB(w/Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs)

*this is made by NASA music*

[YOUTUBE]cw8QvDXJCmQ[/YOUTUBE]

among many many others

• Members

The Coup. Their first album (and their best IMHO) is out of print but available if you look on E-Bay and such. Most of their other stuff is findable if you know where to look:

One of the best "story rap" songs ever done:

OMsEDX9IosU

And, from their first album:

LsUDGxdeICw

Archived