Good Hip-Hop Artists.

2pacHendrix

• Members

Is there anything you guys like with mainstream artists? I think I'm with you guys where I just stick with the indie/underground stuff because it's actually mostly musical, but I will say that Kanye, Jay Z, and Common have put out some great stuff at one time or another. They've also put out a bunch of crap, but I really like some of it.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is there anything you guys like with mainstream artists? I think I'm with you guys where I just stick with the indie/underground stuff because it's actually mostly musical, but I will say that Kanye, Jay Z, and Common have put out some great stuff at one time or another. They've also put out a bunch of crap, but I really like some of it.

I don't really like Common's new album, but I really like Be and Finding Forever. Jay-Z has definitely put out great stuff and I still like Kanye, I just think he's a huge douchebag. Check out Lupe Fiasco, his stuff is really good IMO and recent.

• Members
Don't blaze anymore, but I'll start again soon and I'll make sure to look him up. The only country music I listen to is Johnny Cash and Lyle Lovett.

I won't derail this excellent thread (by far the best such thread I've seen on HCEG; normally, the haters stink up any hip-hop thread on here), but blazed or not, let me know if you want any recommendations on good country music. Believe it or not, it can be as soulful and profound as anything you've ever heard. But then, you listen to Johnny Cash, so probably already know this.

• Members

I don't really like Common's new album, but I really like Be and Finding Forever. Jay-Z has definitely put out great stuff and I still like Kanye, I just think he's a huge douchebag. Check out Lupe Fiasco, his stuff is really good IMO and recent.

I saw a Lupe Fiasco concert on a DirecTV's channel....they just seemed normal to me. Then again, even my favorite bands sound like crap on that DirecTV concert series thing. I'll have to give them another listen.

• Members
I saw a Lupe Fiasco concert on a DirecTV's channel....they just seemed normal to me. Then again, even my favorite bands sound like crap on that DirecTV concert series thing. I'll have to give them another listen.

Maybe I'm just speaking relatively but I really like him - Food and Liquor specifically. His lyrics usually have a pretty solid meaning and I think his beats are great. Anyone who samples a Return to Forever song is cool with me. :thu:

• Members

I won't derail this excellent thread (by far the best such thread I've seen on HCEG; normally, the haters stink up any hip-hop thread on here), but blazed or not, let me know if you want any recommendations on good country music. Believe it or not, it can be as soulful and profound as anything you've ever heard. But then, you listen to Johnny Cash, so probably already know this.

Yeah man, I would love some suggestions.

• Members

I know just about nothing about hip hop, but I've really enjoyed this band:

[YOUTUBE]3YA7R3ugWUs[/YOUTUBE]

For me it has a lot of the same vibe as dark ambient music or post-rock stuff like Godspeed! or Mono.

• Members

For me it has a lot of the same vibe as dark ambient music or post-rock stuff like Godspeed! or Mono.

I liked it :thu: Very unique feel.
Hi-jacking my own thread here, but if you like post-rock check out Say Hi to Your Mom. They're not rap, but more like abmient pop music. Check out 'These Fangs', 'Pop Music of the Future' and 'Super'

• Members

:thu:

I'll take some recommendations. I already listen to Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Hank Williams, etc., but I'd love some more.

• Members
Kottonmouth Kings are the best,fun catchy and all about the herb how can u go wrong with that?

[YOUTUBE]wW0NrDAzBfM&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
If you like Cypress Hill and KMK, you should check out Total Devistation.

[YOUTUBE]DSHZbd9L50M[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

among many many others

I just downloaded that album :thu:

Here's my favorite besides 'Feel that way':
[YOUTUBE]T58Cw0U2THY&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

Also, I'll add:
[YOUTUBE]hGrfUgHJHfs[/YOUTUBE]
Wait 10 seconds for it to start.

Also, keep up the country songs! I saw Lyle Lovett on Conan last night, and although most of his songs are stupid, I like them. I love his cover of 'Friend of the Devil' also.

Archived