Good Hip-Hop Artists.

2pacHendrix

• Members

I think the reason that most completely overlook the underground hip hop is because most people aren't really into it for integrity.

I think there is crap underground music too. Somebody please explain

to me. Which genre is responsible for this abortion? Crunk or Screamo?

BTW, i'm almost an old fart, so I don't really know if this is truly "underground".

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think there is crap underground music too. Somebody please explain
to me. Which genre is responsible for this abortion? Crunk or Screamo?

BTW, i'm
almost
an old fart, so I don't really know if this is truly "underground".

"Underground" would be music for music's sake stuff.

That is pure teen-explotative bull{censored}.

• Members
This may make me sound like a total music snob, but to me, hip-hop is no different that any other style of music. Some is good, most is bad. For every incredible rock band somebody could name, I could name you 5 terrible ones. 99% of the hip-hop that is played on the radio is garbage, but then so is 99% of the rock. Yeah, Soulja Boy is total garbage i.m.o. but so is Nickleback. It's all just pablum.

That said, there is great hip-hop out there too, as there is great rock music, or country (not top 40 country, that's not country music...Try Hank W III). Blackalicious, Mr. Lif, Illogic, Murs, Edan, K-Os... there are plenty of artists out there making smart, musical hip-hop that doesn't revolve around bitches or bling. The Roots are a band, they have always been a band, playing real instruments, they just happen to make hip-hop records.

I understand that hip-hop is not for everyone, but I think it's silly to say the genre sucks based on what is heard on the radio. If I judged the state of rock and roll based on what the radio plays, I would hate rock too.

I have to agree with you, only people I know say things like "I like every kind of music!" which usually means they listen to top 40 radio (the zenith of {censored})
Fortunately there are a few good stations where I live
Bluegrass FM, Bitches!:thu:

• Members

NWA, Ice Cube, and maybe even Master P....yeah I went there.

Last night I met 3 free form rappers at my open mic, they rocked my socks off. And it wasnt just the alcohol. Me and my Pal were laying down some acoustic riffs and they rapped over that too.

• Members

anything post 1997,with the exception of T.I.,Haystak,Bubba Sparxx,an Alex King is complete {censored} IMHO...

Damon

Have you ever heard of Qwel, Blu, Unknown Prophets, or KC's own Tech N9ne? There's loads more, but I totally respect your opinion, just trying to give give you some new artists to listen to.

• Members

I see the potential in rap and hip-hop, but I also see how that potential is being painfully squandered.

With more musical backing tracks and more complex spoken word (meaning more intelligence put into the lyrics and delivery more interesting than "try and make the words match the beat"), it could end up being an actually respectable genre.

Just because that stuff isn't on the radio doesn't mean it isn't respectable music. Like all good music these days, you have to look for it. Just like you have to look past Nickleback, Trivium and Taking Back Sunday to find good rock on the radio, and you have to look past Britney Spears and Chris Brown to find good pop and R&B. Rap/Hip-hop is the same way.

• Members
Just because that stuff isn't on the radio doesn't mean it isn't respectable music. Like all good music these days, you have to look for it. Just like you have to look past Nickleback, Trivium and Taking Back Sunday to find good rock on the radio, and you have to look past Britney Spears and Chris Brown to find good pop and R&B. Rap/Hip-hop is the same way.

Enter Q-tip to make it all ok. ;)

• Members

Well said. The Rappers I met last night were really good. Its one thing to see someone beat-boxing on tv or utube. Up close, on a street corner its another thing-and much more powerful. Again though, these guys were real, not in it to be "ballers" with no expectation of ever seeing that. They did it because they like doing it. I can relate.

• Members

lH3hrtp1T84
Guru's lyrics are incredible. I just love Gang Starr because their lyrics are amazing and it goes so well with the beat, which to me is as important as lyrics.
asV8RIA5moo
PWovcdcl5XA&feature=related
Listen to the Unknown Prophets!
IW-9eOPAWdA&feature=related
Outkast in their prime!
qggxTtnKTMo
My favorite IT song

• Members

Have you ever heard of Qwel, Blu, Unknown Prophets, or KC's own Tech N9ne? There's loads more, but I totally respect your opinion, just trying to give give you some new artists to listen to.

i forgot about tech9...love his {censored}...

Damon

• Members
Everything is fun to blaze to...except the following:

Anything on the hot 100

country

:mad:

Oh, my friend. You are so wrong. I say this as a true hip-hop fan as well, but country can be phenomenal to blaze to. Hank Williams. Wow.

• Members

This coming from a guy named "2pacHendrix."

I'm just teasing. But I find hip hop, in it's modern form, obnoxious.

And Mr. Goodbomb just listen to A Tibe Called Quest, I guarantee you'll like them if you listen to jazz. If you like rock listen to 'Gasoline Dreams' by Outkast and if you like 60's/early 70's rock listen to Edan. If you don't like any of that, that's cool, but atleast give it a try.

• Members

Some great recommendations in this thread. I'm probably going to end up reposting something, but hey, why not.

Saul Williams - Release Pt. 2 (this is one of THE best rap songs I've ever heard)

[YOUTUBE]TQWxdF8VXeA[/YOUTUBE]

Deltron 3030 - Mastermind

[YOUTUBE]k4jY9S-dcUQ[/YOUTUBE]

Q-Tip - Johnny is Dead (Kurt Rosenwinkel plays with him)

[YOUTUBE]E-moJ8otY7c[/YOUTUBE]

Mos Def & Talib Kweli (Blackstar) - Respiration

[YOUTUBE]vHReQQnMVQo[/YOUTUBE]

Aesop Rock - Daylight (one of my favorites, very technical)

[YOUTUBE]dd_W_x3nclY[/YOUTUBE]

Atmosphere - You (When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That {censored} Gold is a great album)

[YOUTUBE]p8zwE3qkhTA[/YOUTUBE]

Bone Thugs N Harmony - Crossroads

[YOUTUBE]234aK1Mpc0I[/YOUTUBE]

And of course all the classics from the 90s and more - Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Gang Starr, Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Dr. Dre, The Pharcyde.

Mos Def's new album is sick.

KRS-One is one of my favorites.

Archived