Amp GAS time!!! Marshall 1W tubes NEW!!!

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's the conversion rate on that right now? I'm thinking these will be in the $4-500 range. Is that about right after conversion?

And you're right. Bleh.

There are several threads about them already. I believe the U.S. street price is being estimated/quoted at $700+.

• Members

There are several threads about them already. I believe the U.S. street price is being estimated/quoted at $700+.

This could be wrong, but I had seen ~$800 discussed on other forums. Additionally, it sounded like these are limited editions and only a small run of each amp will be made. Again, that's just hearsay, but thought I'd share.

• Members

i'm not one to usually bitch about price... but i think what they're asking for them is over the top.... i guess if it's a collector's piece it's a bit different, but still

They are what is called a pre-fabricated "collectible", meaning the only real value they'll have for a long while is in flipping it if they sell out fast.

But, despite their hand-wired flying leads, the PCB-mounted tube sockets don't really give me a feeling of quality. 90% of the photos on the Marshall site are of how much work is going into the cabinets, the chassis innards seem an afterthought.

• Members

I've just noticed they're using an ECC82 in the power stage...are there any other amps that do that? - the only one I'm aware of is the Blackstar HT1.

Yeas, the 12AU7 and its octal predecessor, the 6SN7, have both been used as low-wattage power tubes in various applications for decades, especially in hi-fi. There just haven't been a lot of 1-watt guitar amps until the last decade or so, but if you look around at the boutique or kit offerings, you'll find some.

• Members

What's an alternative to these with a great Marshall (gnr Aerosmith) tone? Are there any Marshall combos?

I got a class 5 and love it but it's still too loud. Prefer 12" speaker.

I'm in that boat. I actually gig my Class 5. A loud little bugger.

To bad about the price. In the 2-400 range I would totally scoop one of the heads up.

• Members

Sweetwater has posted prices for the JTM.

$750 for the head ($1000 MSRP), $800 for the combo ($1060 MSRP), expect the prices to trickle up as the models get more complicated.

Love the concept. But for less than that that price I can just buy a used JCM 900 or JCM 2000 head and keep the volume low. Or if I have to have the early tones...buy a JTM kit and build it....for less.

• Members

What's an alternative to these with a great Marshall (gnr Aerosmith) tone? Are there any Marshall combos?

I got a class 5 and love it but it's still too loud. Prefer 12" speaker.

To be perfectly honest, bedroom volume is the realm where SS rule. They can sound the same with a Master turned up or down. You make some major compromises when you get into low-wattage amps, there really isn't any available, full-sounding headroom, that's why most are or sound like hi-gain machines. Even the videos of the JTM1 are more '80's metal and less Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms" (which to me is the quintessential JTM45 tone).

The key to big amp sound at little amp volume is emulation.

Archived