Does anyone own both a modern MIM standard and a modern MIA standard?

twotimingpete

• Members

I know this may be an old topic and I have opinions on it and have expressed them, but it's something I've been thinking about again. Looking at the issue of standard strats/teles and american standard strats and teles and how they actually compare in real life.

And in this case, I'm specifically talking about post 2008 MIMs and similarly modern MIAs. Most of us gear heads have had a great deal of experiences through the years to call on as it pertains to Fender guitars, but I want to recalibrate the discussion to focus only on the most modern standard instruments, especially with the understanding that the MIMs, in particular, have really been souped up since 2008 and in my experience some of the older ones just don't compare to them. The American standards (the strat in particular) have also seen some modernizations in recent years.

Where I'm at right now is that I'm a person who, back in 2009, bought both a new standard tele and a new standard strat and have an extremely high opinion of both of them. I've never owned a modern american standard, though, and that's part of why I want to update the discussion.

• Members

I know this may be an old topic and I have opinions on it and have expressed them, but it's something I've been thinking about again. Looking at the issue of standard strats/teles and american standard strats and teles and how they actually compare in real life.

And in this case, I'm specifically talking about post 2008 MIMs and similarly modern MIAs. Most of us gear heads have had a great deal of experiences through the years to call on as it pertains to Fender guitars, but I want to recalibrate the discussion to focus only on the most modern standard instruments, especially with the understanding that the MIMs, in particular, have really been souped up since 2008 and in my experience some of the older ones just don't compare to them. The American standards (the strat in particular) have also seen some modernizations in recent years.

Where I'm at right now is a person who, back in 2009, bought both a new standard tele and a new standard strat and have an extremely high opinion of both of them. I've never owned a modern american standard, though, and that's part of why I want to update the discussion.

Some MIM Fenders are clearly a cut above, but they are also priced accordingly, like this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-classic-player-50s-stratocaster-electric-guitar

• Members

Some MIM Fenders are clearly a cut above, but they are also priced accordingly, like this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-classic-player-50s-stratocaster-electric-guitar

I think I'm mainly focussing in on the standard line of guitars -- the Standard Strat/Tele and the American Standard Strat/Tele. I don't want to fly off into the weeds here.

And if possible I'm particularly interested in people who own them -- As a person who has become experienced and war hardened iwth the whole process of acquire/purge/acquire/purge, I'm well aware of the fact that it can be very hard to fully assess an instrument in factory condition. Instruments really need a break in period as well as time to grow on you before a really good opinion can be formed.

• Members

I'm afraid I haven't played a post-08 American standard, but I have owned an 09 MIM standard tele since Sept 09 and played a buddies 10 MIM standard strat many times. The only thing I've needed to do to the tele is change the pickups (and this was more on a whim than out of necessity), and I've got an electrosocket jack mount for when the input cup finally fails. Other than that, it's been fantastic. Great neck (if you like hefty), solid hardware, full-size alpha pots, etc. The only wish I have is that it would be nice if it was a little lighter. IMO, the MIM standards are fully-functional instruments ready-to-go. As you move up the ladder you get little extras that are "nice to have" but not vital (e.g. different pickup choices, perhaps nicer wood, rolled fretboard edges, etc.)

BTW -- my last FENDER tele before this one was a 95 American standard, and my current MIM is head-and-shoulders above that one in almost every respect.

• Members

Well- my neighbor got great sounding white MIM strat and mine sounds lifeless. U have to test each one to find the right one but except for missing the 22 nd fret you can get a great guitar.

Our other pal has a couple of MIA strats to include Eric Johnson model and my neighbors MIM stands IMHO a notch above in tone.

It depends!

• Members

MIMs multi piece laminated vemeer body. MIA 2-3 piece body no weneer.

MIM 1 5/8th nut. MIA 1 11/16 nut

MIM Vintage trem 2 1/16 string spacing -MIA two point 2 1/16th string spacing trem

MIA micro tilt neck adjustment Bi-flex truss rod.

MIM ceramic- MIA alnico pickups

• Members

What is the smallest thinnest Fender neck acquirable? Anyone know? CV's are the best I've found as to those qualities. The last MIA Fender I remember fitting my hands was the Jimi Hendrix reissue in the 90's. I'd like to find one of those and play it again see if it's as good as I remember it.

• Members

What is the smallest thinnest Fender neck acquirable? Anyone know? CV's are the best I've found as to those qualities. The last MIA Fender I remember fitting my hands was the Jimi Hendrix reissue in the 90's. I'd like to find one of those and play it again see if it's as good as I remember it.

Makes you wounder where all those went, Very seldom see them come up for sale. What one?

There's like 8 or more models.

I would like to find a Voodoo 98-99

• Members
On a related note. A saw a used MIM Strat for $199 at GC today. Was hanging right next to a MIM Strat for $299. It had a little crud around the knobs, but otherwise looked to be in similar condition. Anyone know why there would be a $100 difference?

Without more information it's impossible to know. Could be a number of things.

• Members

On a related note. A saw a used MIM Strat for $199 at GC today. Was hanging right next to a MIM Strat for $299. It had a little crud around the knobs, but otherwise looked to be in similar condition. Anyone know why there would be a $100 difference?

It was used to kill that damn raccoon that's been hanging around my trash bins.

• Members

I'm reading some misinformation in this thread. For one, the "current" MIA Standard Strats do have a wider string and bridge spacing than the MIM Standards. And I don't believe the "current" MIM Standards have a laminate top either. Also, I've owned a 2006 MIM Standard Strat and a 2007 Standard Strat and both of them came with CTS pots and not Alpha pots. MIM Standards have a 42mm nut and the American Standards have a 42.8mm nut.

• Members

I'm reading some misinformation in this thread. For one, the "current" MIA Standard Strats do have a wider string and bridge spacing than the MIM Standards. And I don't believe the "current" MIM Standards have a laminate top either. Also, I've owned a 2006 MIM Standard Strat and a 2007 Standard Strat and both of them came with CTS pots and not Alpha pots. MIM Standards have a 42mm nut and the American Standards have a 42.8mm nut.

MIA strats are 2 1/16 bridge string spacing. RI starts and classic series and road worn MIMs are vintage 2 7/32."

Calaham has them listed here for ordering model and years.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm

• Members

MIA strats are 2 1/16 bridge string spacing
. RI starts and classic series and road worn MIMs are vintage 2 7/32."

Calaham has them listed here for ordering model and years.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm

The OP is only interested in comparing the Standard Fender models. MIM Standard Strats and MIA Standard Strats do not have the same string spacing that you alluded to in an earlier post and again in this one. The MIA Standards have a wider string spacing. I have both MIA and MIM Standards. The bent steel saddles are not interchangeable. Trust me on this one.

Callaham does not sell replacement trem units for the American Standard or American Deluxe Strats, which both have the same spacing.

• Members

Then why does fender say with the American standard and new bent steel saddles "Then Fender improved them; narrowing the spacing to afford more room"

Bridge Component Specifics

American Standard saddles - The original vintage-style Fender bent steel adjustable saddle is one of the components that give vintage Fenders their tonal 'mojo.' Fender conducted tone comparison tests, and fell in love with them all over again. They have a wider tonal range and more character many other saddles. Then Fender improved them; narrowing the spacing to afford more room (and complement the bigger frets and rolled edges), elongated the string slot to reduce friction and string breakage, and improved the string break angle over the primary contact point

• Members
Then why does fender say with the American standard and new bent steel saddles "Then Fender improved them; narrowing the spacing to afford more room"

Bridge Component Specifics

American Standard saddles - The original vintage-style Fender bent steel adjustable saddle is one of the components that give vintage Fenders their tonal 'mojo.' Fender conducted tone comparison tests, and fell in love with them all over again. They have a wider tonal range and more character many other saddles. Then Fender improved them; narrowing the spacing to afford more room (and complement the bigger frets and rolled edges), elongated the string slot to reduce friction and string breakage, and improved the string break angle over the primary contact point

Good question. I know the nuts are narrower than the older MIA Series Strats. I'll take some measurements tomorrow of both MIA and MIM Trem units and post back on this thread. If I'm wrong I'll own up to it.

• Members

Great if you could do that. Are those new bent steel saddles off center like the american series saddles?

I just bought one of those Fender mexi trems off amazon for $13. It has the full size block like the new MIMs.

Just messured infront of the saddles. 2.076." - 52.73mm

• Members

Great if you could do that. Are those new bent steel saddles off center like the american series saddles?

I just bought one of those Fender mexi trems off amazon for $13. It has the full size block like the new MIMs.

Just messured infront of the saddles. 2.076. 52.73mm

No the American Standard's bent steel saddles have saddle screws in the center, unlike the offset American Series block saddles.

I'm beat for now, but will take the measurements tomorrow with a 6" stainless steel ruler that has both 32nd and 64ths of an inch measurements.