Does this only look weird to me?(strat content)

yzfou

• Members

That said, they. An also serve to protect the coil bobbins. As Fender strings sit mich higher off the pickguard than Gibson strings sit off the mounting rings of a Les Paul. So it could alleviate the need for the duct tape folks used in the 80s, 90s, and even today to emulate favorite player's beat up aesthetic.

• Members

As someone said, that is the Dave Murray from Iron Maiden signature model. Dave's actual guitar that this is based off of is a 1957 neck and 1963 body that was originally owned by Paul Kossoff of Free. Dave played this guitar from 1976 to 1990. He had the Dimarzio SD put in to give it a heavier sound and the pup rings were used to make them easier to mount to the pickguard. This was a pretty early tricked out HxH strat.

• Members

Humbuckers without rings just look cheap. (Hey, we can save about 17c in production cost per unit if we leave these off!)

Humbuckers on a strat look terrible. (Ain't no strat no more, sonny!)

But humbuckers with rings on a strat is just sacrilege. (Iron Maiden. Says it all, really.)

• Members

Humbuckers without rings just look cheap. (Hey, we can save about 17c in production cost per unit if we leave these off!)

Humbuckers on a strat look terrible. (Ain't no strat no more, sonny!)

But humbuckers with rings on a strat is just sacrilege. (Iron Maiden. Says it all, really.)

Real musicians see the instrument for what it is; a vehicle for conveying music. They will modify the instrument, add things to it, strip things away, and decorate it to suit their fancy because they know that the piece of wood and plastic and magnets and wire isn't the thing that's sacred about it. It's a divining rod for channeling forces from another dimension. That's when the sacred part comes in.

• Members

That said, they. An also serve to protect the coil bobbins. As Fender strings sit mich higher off the pickguard than Gibson strings sit off the mounting rings of a Les Paul. So it could alleviate the need for the duct tape folks used in the 80s, 90s, and even today to emulate favorite player's beat up aesthetic.

That's the answer. Tele specials don't need rings becuase they have chrome covers over the pickup. With the bobbins exposed and pickup screwed into the body you can accidentally hook a string under the edge and rip the pickup out. Rings make that less likely to happen.

• Members

It's just a traditional 60s and 70s hotrod look. Fitting the rings means that you didn't have to be an expert at cutting the pickguard holes, because they covered up the mess.

There was a time when power tools used to cost a month's wages, now you can get a router from china for two hour's pay.

• Moderators

It's just a traditional 60s and 70s hotrod look. Fitting the rings means that you didn't have to be an expert at cutting the pickguard holes, because they covered up the mess.

There was a time when power tools used to cost a month's wages, now you can get a router from china for two hour's pay.

^^Therein lieth the truth

• Members

I just find it pain weird that anyone bothers about it.Its there ,its playable ,its just a musical instrument .its like all these odd people spouting off about a Modern player and similar jaguar shaped guitar .Who cares if it called a Jaguar .Who cares if a tele has two humbuckers .They are all guitars...beginning and end of story.

• Members

PUP rings on a guitar with a pick guard???

I don't see the use or the appeal to it. Would look so much better without it IMO.

0118802806_frt_wmd_001.jpg

Not a fan of the rings-on-a-pick-guard look (seems a little redundant), but even worse than redundant rings are a black Strat with white pick-guard. Is there a more boring-looking guitar?

• Members

I just find it pain weird that anyone bothers about it.Its there ,its playable ,its just a musical instrument .its like all these odd people spouting off about a Modern player and similar jaguar shaped guitar .Who cares if it called a Jaguar .Who cares if a tele has two humbuckers .They are all guitars...beginning and end of story.

in every practical way I agree with this sentiment, but since we're just discussing aesthetics, I prefer the look without the rings :)

• Members

You are right. We should play what we like with the instrument we like, and don't bother what anyone thinks. The same principle could be applied to the rest of our lives too. But I enjoy having pointless but fun discussions with other people.

besides we wouldn't have much of a forum if we didn't enjoy this from time to time:)