Gibson pickups in Agile LP

STRANDMAN

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

An interesting question seeing as how the new trend on here has been hardcore Gibson bashing. Now we're going to try to get the closest possible Gibson tone while staying away from Gibsons? I'm honestly not trying to be a douche bag here, but why not just keep rocking your Gibson and call it done?

• Members

An interesting question seeing as how the new trend on here has been hardcore Gibson bashing. Now we're going to try to get the closest possible Gibson tone while staying away from Gibsons? I'm honestly not trying to be a douche bag here, but why not just keep rocking your Gibson and call it done?

I would think those that still have their own Gibsons would continue rocking them.

But to get the same tone for a fraction of the price, or to gig with that same tone without the fear of {censored}ing up a $2k guitar is completely valid.

• Members

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

• Members

I have a set of 490 pickups that I've installed in several guitars.... first an EPI SG..... sounded like a SG, next a Turser LP...... sounded like a LP, now they are in my Raven LP..... sounds like a LP. It sounds a bit different than my Gibson LP, but it has Burstbuckers. In a blind test between the Raven and a Gibson LP with 490s, I doubt that you could reliably identify which is which.

My Gibson is a better guitar than the Raven, but not by much.

• Members

gibson kills the rainforest and charges too much and agile supports sweatshops and most likely child labor.

i'll support the job creator that is lighter on my pocketbook at the moment until i am rich enough to buy one then i will bash agile and thumb my nose at all the cheap bastards who play them.

• Members

My guess is that it would sound pretty close. :idk:

I bet if you bolted the pickups to a 2x4, they would sound fairly close to a Gibson.

Of course, if you really listened closely, there will be some differences, but these probably vary more by individual guitars than Agile versus Gibson.

There are obvious differences in materials, construction, finish, and so on between an Agile and a Gibson. Some of these impact sound, some don't. How much and if you can tell is up to you. Many of these differences affect the feel of the instrument, and again, it depends if you can tell or care.

What is wrong with the stock Agile pickups?

• Members

There are labor laws in South Korea too. 18 is min age without special work papers. They also have labor unions and have the right to strike. Kind of like the US. Tell me how Agile supports child labor.

was joking dude. i love my agile, it plays and sounds great.

but in all srs china has labor laws too but that doesnt stop 12 year olds from working 60-80 hour weeks to make iphones even though apple says it doesnt happen. funny how people lie to make a profit.

• Members

You Gibson "Fan Boys" are getting a little hyper sensitive these days. There was nothing in my post that bashes Gibson yet you seem to feel the need to defend even when you are not being attacked. Oh by the way "Gibson Bashing" isn't just happening here. It's happening on all of the forums. Ya think there might be a reason for that?

I've never made a secret of the fact that I think Henry is ruining the company and Gibsons current guitars reflect that. But, I have never had one bad thing to say about the sound of those guitars. In fact I haven't seen many complaints here or anywhere else concerning Gibsons tone. My complaints have always been 100% about fit, finish, and workmanship of the guitars themselves. I have often said that about the only thing Gibson is still able to do well is build pickups. Those are realities that I did not create and for me it has nothing to do with misguided product loyalty. All I am interested in is having the best instrument in my hands I can get at. It only makes sense to me to take the best guitar (Agile) and combine it with my favorite pick ups (Gibson).

Of course you have the right to respond to any thread as you please in any manner you please but I still need to ask you this question. Since you obviously don't own an Agile and consequently have no clue as to the answer to my question why are you responding? Try to remember it's usually considered good form to wait until you are bashed before bashing back.

• Members

My guess is that it would sound pretty close.
:idk:

I bet if you bolted the pickups to a 2x4, they would sound fairly close to a Gibson.

What is wrong with the stock Agile pickups?

That statement is probably a lot closer to the real deal than many want to believe. I've always thought that it's all about the amp, the pickups, and the player. Nothing wrong with the stock pups it's just that I hear a lot of posters who think they are great and others who prefer something else. It's not a quality thing it's just a matter of taste. In my case I like my Agile guitar better than my Studio but I prefer my Studio pups to the Agiles.

• Members

You Gibson "Fan Boys" are getting a little hyper sensitive these day. There was nothing in my post that bashes Gibson yet you seem to feel the need to defend even when you are not being attacked. Oh by the way "Gibson Bashing" isn't just happening here. It's happening on all of the forums. Ya think there might be a reason for that?

I've never made a secret of the fact that I think Henry is ruining the company and Gibsons current guitars reflect that. But, I have never had one bad thing to say about the sound of those guitars. In fact I haven't seen many complaints here or anywhere else concerning Gibsons tone. My complaints have always been 100% about fit, finish, and workmanship of the guitars themselves. I have often said that about the only thing Gibson is still able to do well is build pickups. Those are realities that I did not create and for me it has nothing to do with misguided product loyalty. All I am interested in is having the best instrument in my hands I can get at. It only makes sense to me to take the best guitar (Agile) and combine it with my favorite pick ups (Gibson).

Of course you have the right to respond to any thread as you please in any manner you pleas I still need to ask you this question. Since you obviously don't own an Agile you consequently have no clue as to the answer to my question. So why are you responding? Try to remember it's usually considered good form to wait until you are bashed before bashing back.

This post might be a bit of over reaction. You're kinda attacking points he never made. Maybe you'd like to take a break, drink a glass of milk?

• Members

I think the issue is a bit more complex than just a matter of slapping a set of Gibson pickups on an Agile. You'd be better off seriously evaluating what you like and don't like about the current pickups, doing some homework, and then purchasing pickups that will enhance the tonal characteristics of the guitar. That may be some low wind PAF's or maybe a set of hot ceramic pickups. But don't just buy Gibson pickups and expect the guitar to sound better or more Gibson-like.

• Members

was joking dude. i love my agile, it plays and sounds great.

but in all srs china has labor laws too but that doesnt stop 12 year olds from working 60-80 hour weeks to make iphones even though apple says it doesnt happen. funny how people lie to make a profit.

Oh, I got ya now.

Even still, I don't know anyone who goes into business to not make profit. Since Gibson cant lower their labor costs they may be starting to look for profit elsewhere. Like material choices.

I tend to subscribe to the 2x4 theory mentioned above and that if a guitar can be set up to play well then its a good guitar regardless of headstock badge. ;)

Archived