Gary Moore

_pete_

• Moderators

He never mailed it in, it always seemed to be life and death up there on stage for him. Love his playing, and that take of Messiah get to me every time

Saw him about 3 years ago now (man as you get older the days slip by far faster:() and indeed not only does he not phone it in, but he can cram four hours wiorth of effort in to two ish hours, and for those who talk about his feel and style of blues playing I say.......oh.....I can't tell them to go eat {censored} anymore can I, my sponsor wouldn't like that;)

During the gig he played a variety of Pauls, but he pulled out a stocker red Firebird that he'd bought from a shop on the Scandinavian leg of his tour and made it do things even the guitar didn't know it could do, and I reckon the reason why he sold the Green/Moore LP on.....he'd wrung every last note out of it and it just didn't have any notes left in it.

Nobody ahs ever played the blues like Gary did, and I doubt anybody ever will, and he paid his dues, and did his time, so I'll propose a toast

To the Belfast Blues

• Members

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but negative ones are rarely given when paying tribute to one who has passed over

Although I was a fan of Gary's take no prisoners, passionate delivery, I agree, when he played with dynamics and simplicity , he was even more impressive. RIP Gary. Thanks for all the inspiration.

• Members

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but negative ones are rarely given when paying tribute to one who has passed over

I'm not being negative. I used to think that he was just someone who shredded pentatonics really really fast and loud and I found that boring.

However, after watching some more of his playing, I saw that he's an otherwise very versatile guitarist who just happened to like shredding pentatonics really loud, but that he's actually quite diverse and that he's actually as good as advertised. But that doesn't mean I'm any more appreciative of the whole playing pentatonics at breakneck speed thing.

And really, given that he gets brought up half a dozen times a day, and this is my first time even expressing the slightest qualms about his style, I mean, what exactly is the time limit constraint here before we can talk about his pros and cons?

• Members

I like his playing when he played quieter and slower because he had quite a bit of range and expression.

I guess that implies what I think of his usual delivery.

These should be right up your alley then :)

[video=youtube;4ZuhrOAVFSw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZuhrOAVFSw

[video=youtube;W5Bbp6fG8vc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5Bbp6fG8vc

• Members

Unfortunately I feel that Gary Moore was just a heavy metal speed guitarist trying to play blues. Blues guitar is not about over playing or trying to impress others with your ability to cram 5,000 notes into a solo. His rock playing was impressive but I found his blues playing to be obnoxious and he overplayed with too much metal distortion. I once borrowed a friend's video concert of Moore playing blues and before every ridiculous solo he would announce "HERE WE GO!" It gets a little tired after awhile.

However, that being said I have found this video on YouTube and I must admit he plays with proper restraint and has respect for BB King. Too bad he didn't always play like this.

[video=youtube;iUaevnP1LLg]

• Members

You're clearly missing the point of what Moore was capable of.

He was miles ahead of his contemporaries in terms of ability. I'm not talking about the blues legends that he dueted with.

I'm talking about every other rock/blues guy about - bar none.

No one could touch him and that caused a lot of 'issues'.

• Members

I dunno, I prefer his Eric Clapton on Meth approach to his slower, more "tastefull" stuff. Thats what is great about him though, he is not just this or that.

His vibrato is great, wide like a Clapton but more frantic, less smoove (in a good way)

Slow, medium, fast ... Moore was simply extraordinary.

It's well worth having a listen to the Still got the blues and After hours CD's

Archived