NEW YAMAHA DAY X 2! Envy me all you want! ;)

KightTemplar

• Members

Oh Yeah!

I got this amazing amp yesterday. It's a Yamaha DG60-112, made in 2001 according to the serial no.

Guess many of you know that this amp has been discontinued for 7-8 years, and it is regarded one of the best solid-state/digital amp ever made. In fact as digital modelling amp this baby not only kicks Line6's ass, but also sounds competent comparing with any top-of-the-line valve amps out there.

You guys would assume that I got it used. No! It's freakin new. The store had this amp stock for n years and no one took notice....probably due to the Yamaha logo.

Guess for how many I got? Around US250! Guess it's pretty good deal!

And as a bonus, I also got a MIT Yamaha classical. Very sweet sounding CG-111C!

Ok, here are the pics!

f_7037840_1.JPG

f_7037841_1.JPG

f_7037843_1.JPG

f_7037844_1.JPG

f_7037842_1.JPG

f_7037847_1.JPG

f_7037848_1.JPG

f_7037849_1.JPG

f_7037850_1.JPG

f_7037846_1.JPG

• Members

Sweet deal! I have one of those, currently dead as a doornail. Trying to decide whether to get it fixed or just toss it. (since I don't really need yet another amp, or sinking a lot of dough into it. Brand spankin' new for 2 fitty is nutso.

• Members

scorage... I'm guessing the voices are similar to digi stomp gen1, given the interface. don't know the amp, but if it's anything like that pedal, you got reason to celebrate.

Yeah that pedal has great reputation but for me at this stage, it is about plug and play. So naturally I opted for the amp.

• Members

Those are nice amps.

I have the footpedal version DGStomp.

Do the knobs move themselves on that one ? ( No i can see now it is two channel, not presets )

Good scoop .

Thanks man.

What I like about this amp is that although it is labelled as a digital modelling one, it doesn't have the zillion controls like the others do.

Just plug and play.

• Members

Good job! Nobody should be surprised that Yamaha makes good amps. They've been making rock-solid stereo equipment for 40 years. My brother has a Yamaha receiver he bought around 1978 or 1979 that gets used every single day and to this day has NEVER had anything wrong with it, driving 4 Large Advent speakers from that era. Their electronics are bullet-proof.

• Members

Put a better speaker in the DG and it should sound much better. I remember the DG60 wasn't quite as good sounding as its bigger brothers DG80 and DG100 and I'd wager that is mostly because of the cheaper speaker. The top models used Celestion G12H-100 speakers, the current G12K-100 should be fairly similar if you can't find a used G12H-100. Speakers with a flat midrange seem to work best with these amps.

I so wish Yamaha would make a modern version of the DG80. It had the perfect user interface for a modeling amp and didn't try to cram everything but the kitchen sink in it. It could cover pretty much all tones with just 8 amp models and only basic but good sounding fx.

• Members

Put a better speaker in the DG and it should sound much better. I remember the DG60 wasn't quite as good sounding as its bigger brothers DG80 and DG100 and I'd wager that is mostly because of the cheaper speaker. The top models used Celestion G12H-100 speakers, the current G12K-100 should be fairly similar if you can't find a used G12H-100. Speakers with a flat midrange seem to work best with these amps.

I so wish Yamaha would make a modern version of the DG80. It had the perfect user interface for a modeling amp and didn't try to cram everything but the kitchen sink in it. It could cover pretty much all tones with just 8 amp models and only basic but good sounding fx.

Actually, there's another guy who is selling an used one with the particular Celestion speaker you mentioned. In fact I went to his store and tried it last November, but somehow there were some bad chemistry between us.....dunno why. He kinda asked me to leave when I was still trying out the amp, and I only tried for 3 minutes or so.

Thus, I chose to buy from another seller who is a freindly, easygoing old fella. Anyway I think the speaker difference only will appear during live situation, so that's OK with me since I mostly play at home.

So far, both cleans, Crunch, Drive, and Lead 1 are getting my love. Especially Lead 1, which has the best hi-gain tone among the SS amps.

Archived