What artist(s) or band(s) music do many people seem to like.....but you cant stand???

Dr. Scottie C

• Members

Changing the question to take "many people to mean "on this forum," it's Pink Floyd and Rush for me.

Of course we could all talk about Nickelback etc., but that's not likely to annoy anyone here. And where's the fun in that?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Changing the question to take "many people to mean "on this forum," it's
Pink Floyd and Rush
for me.

Of course we could all talk about Nickelback etc., but that's not likely to annoy anyone here. And where's the fun in that?

those are my 2 favorite "classic rock bands" :cry:

• Members
Guns'n'Roses and Radiohead.

GnR are just one of the most overrated bands ever. I mean, a pretty tight, rocking band, but rather generic. Nothing special to my ears, and then you add that whining, warbling primadonna twat Axl on top singing lyrics that sound like they came out of some junior high kid's notebook and I just never got the appeal. Back when they kicked off people were talking about them as if they were saving rock and roll from extinction or something. What a load of garbage.

Radiohead are, in theory, a band I should like because I admire acts that try to do something fresh or unique. I just don't think they pull it off well. Therer are a couple of tracks on their first album or two that are decent pop songs, but when they began to experiment and stretch out more, they just got boring and pretentious IMO. I have tried--really tried--to bond with Kid A, OK Computer and a few other albums and there is just absolutely nothing there that ever makes me want to hear it again. At least GnR has some rock swagger and an element of fun.

+1

• Members

Jelloman's post sums it up, pretty much everything out on radio now sucks. I believe that music has been in a downward spiral for the past several years. Whats passing for music now a days is sad, but this is just my opinion. Cant stand stuff like LMFAO, Snoop, other crap. Kuz929, I too don't like the Beatles either so you're not alone.

• Members

This is a quite a childish and silly thread in some ways, but what the hell, here goes:

I generally pretend to hate a lot of stuff that is popular, but hated by very very clever musicians (but then secretly listen to it and like it). I also like to pronounce on the virtues of stuff that most other people have never heard of, but get a bit nasty and shirty when I find someone who has actually heard of them.

However...

When James Blunt, 'you're beautiful' came out, I literally felt like killing anyone who openly played it, and I am sure that, had I met him, I would have tripped the blunt up, and stomped on his nuts. I dare not post up the video, but lots of people liked him when he emerged from somewhere.

My wife made me buy a Mika album for her birthday. That was a VERY uncomfortable purchase. I would have rather bought a copy of 'Fox hunting weekly' in my local incense shop.

I went through a phase of quite liking them but gradually, over time, Coldplay have really begun to get on my tits. They are sort of sub-U2, and when you look at the ire around the latter, you therefore have to multiply it for Coldplay somehow.

I can't stand any late 1980s poppy metal/hard rock, although now it has become so ridiculous that some of it you can sort of enjoy in an ironic way (eg. Def Leppard, Bon Jovi).

• Members

When James Blunt, 'you're beautiful' came out, I literally felt like killing anyone who openly played it, and I am sure that, had I met him, I would have tripped the blunt up, and stomped on his nuts. I dare not post up the video, but lots of people liked him when he emerged from somewhere.

The song was ok, but that voice with the nasally thing and the something permanently caught in the throat while trying to partially imitate the Van Morrison delivery (whereby each syllable has a blast of air at the beginning) was so damn annoying.

• Members

There is a lot of stuff i have just grown out of. Radiohead, Cocteua Twins, SRV, Dead Can Dance, AC/DC, etc. Stuff that i never cared for that many seem to love is Sonic Youth and Mars Volta. I'm a Can fan boy but just don't care for either band at all. Most of the stuff i hear on radio these days i just want to turn off. Not all, but most of it. There just doesn't seem to be much thought behind a lot of it. To each his own though. I may not get something but it might mean the world to someone else.

• Members

There is a lot of stuff i have just grown out of. Radiohead, Cocteua Twins, SRV, Dead Can Dance, AC/DC, etc. Stuff that i never cared for that many seem to love is Sonic Youth and Mars Volta. I'm a Can fan boy but just don't care for either band at all.

I never heard much direct Can influence in SY or Mars Volta. I imagine they are fans and familiar with Can but there aren't too many bands I hear a lot of Can in. A few Fall tracks here and there and early PiL but that's about all I can think of. (I also dig Can, BTW, but mostly just their first two albums. After that they get almost too smooth and jazzy for me.)

I like a LITTLE Sonic Youth. Some songs off Sister and Goo and a few peppered throughout their early albums. That's about it. Mars Volta never did much for me.

I agree, though, about "growing out" of a lot of things I used to love. Used to really dig early Cure, Joy Division, Dead Can Dance and many others I could name. Now that stuff (while I still admire some of it) hits me as too mopey and angsty and faux-dark and pretentious.

Most of the music I loved back in the 80s and 90s that still holds up for me has an element of humor (like DEVO or Killdozer) or it's just weird and off-kilter (like early Butthole Surfers.) Not that I constantly jam the Surfers, but you know what I'm saying....

• Members

When
James Blunt, 'you're beautiful'
came out, I literally felt like killing anyone who openly played it, and I am sure that, had I met him, I would have tripped the blunt up, and stomped on his nuts. I dare not post up the video, but lots of people liked him when he emerged from somewhere.

LOL When that song came out I was single and used to play and sing it a parties. It got me laid more than once.

• Members
I never heard much direct Can influence in SY or Mars Volta. I imagine they are fans and familiar with Can but there aren't too many bands I hear a lot of Can in. A few Fall tracks here and there and early PiL but that's about all I can think of. (I also dig Can, BTW, but mostly just their first two albums. After that they get almost too smooth and jazzy for me.)

I like a LITTLE Sonic Youth. Some songs off Sister and Goo and a few peppered throughout their early albums. That's about it. Mars Volta never did much for me.

I agree, though, about "growing out" of a lot of things I used to love. Used to really dig early Cure, Joy Division, Dead Can Dance and many others I could name. Now that stuff (while I still admire some of it) hits me as too mopey and angsty and faux-dark and pretentious.

Most of the music I loved back in the 80s and 90s that still holds up for me has an element of humor (like DEVO or Killdozer) or it's just weird and off-kilter (like early Butthole Surfers.) Not that I constantly jam the Surfers, but you know what I'm saying....

I do. I can still rock the hell out of the first two Devo records and still love The Butthole Surfers. I think the whole connection with Mars and Can was just the hipster thing here in LA. They would name drop Can and i met Omar at a Damo gig so a lot of people that were into them started coming into Tower asking about Can. Not a bad thing at all. I just don't really feel them.

• Members

There's a certain whiney tone & style of male vocal I hear all the time these days in most "alternative" rock that really grates on my nerves.

A quality thats hard to describe but very annoying.

Dave Mathews & REM kinda started it, now just about every lead singer thats not some kinda cookie monster does it.

Archived