I tend to buy guitars based on image.

honeyiscool

• Members

There I said it. Is that so bad?

I think all well-made instruments can be adapted to. Sure, I have preferences and all but at the end of the day, I think some guitarists are a bit too bitchy about gear. I'm primarily a pianist and you know what, you NEVER know what you're going to get when you're a pianist unless you're one of the few successful ones that take their instruments everywhere. Sometimes, you don't even get to play the instrument you'll be performing with until you sit down at your piano in front of a live audience. If you're doing a performance and the left pedal doesn't work, whatever, you're going to have to control the dynamics yourself. If you prefer your action feather light and your keys feel like weighted with lead, tough luck. If some of the keys are uneven, figure it out and play it so it sounds even. If you ever say, "I'm not gonna play this Kawai because I only play Steinway," you'll never get another performance.

With that in mind, I wonder if it's so bad that I openly admit to buying instruments I find visually interesting (as long as they're decently made) and then just take it for granted that eventually I can find a good use for it. As long as the instrument's been made decently, the feel can be adjusted to. Don't like the sound? Change the pickups! I've never found a guitar whose sound I couldn't bring to my liking with the right pickups.

Anyway, yeah, that.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

With that in mind, I wonder if it's so bad that I openly admit to buying instruments I find visually interesting (as long as they're decently made) and then just take it for granted that eventually I can find a good use for it. As long as the instrument's been made decently, the feel can be adjusted to. Don't like the sound? Change the pickups! I've never found a guitar whose sound I couldn't bring to my liking with the right pickups.

Anyway, yeah, that.

Yeah that for sure. Totally agree.

People that say they don't buy based on how the guitar looks are lying to themselves. Ultimately playability will be the determining factor, but it was the way the guitar looked that caught your attention and got you to pick it up in the first place.

The sound has little if any influence on me. Swapping pups and electronics is no problem. And I'm convinced that pups have the second biggest impact on tone, after the amp. Not that other things don't factor in to tone but far less so than those two.

• Members

There are certain looks that appeal to me, and others that repel me, though when I'm actually playing, I mostly just focus on where my fingers need to go and the sound I'm creating. I have some guitars with beautiful finishes, but when I'm standing and playing, the look is virtually invisible to me.

It's similar to the way we pick cars, or fuss about our own appearance. We can only really see it in the mirror.

• Members

I do as well. I own a Jackson Kelly with a reverse headstock :rolleyes: ... sure it's got a great neck but there's NO WAY I could possibly say that the looks didn't influence that decision.

And on the other side of the equation I purposely stayed away from SGs BECAUSE I thought I was just wanting one for the looks and fan-boi reasons, which is just as dumb. :facepalm:

• Members

Yeah, I'll bet almost everyone here picks their guitars based primarily on looks. Why else play a Les Paul that hurts your shoulder? Just kidding. I've only bought a guitar once that I think looks horrid. It's a Takamine acoustic/electric with a hideous paint job, but it was super cheap and sounds really great plugged in. Otherwise, I like to play instruments that I think look nice. For the most part, you can set up a guitar to play how you like, and you're absolutely right about the pickups.

• Members

Of course, I've also re-sold plenty of guitars purchased somewhat for looks that didn't deliver on feel.

Feel is really what should count. All cats are grey in the dark.

But I wouldn't want to be caught dead with your pink Hello Kitty guitar, honey, sorry.

• Members

Hello Kitty, lol.

Looks aren't usually the biggest factor in my buying decisions, but they certainly do matter to me. If you're going to be performing, image matters.

For instance, soon I'll be trying out for an indie rock band. I know the guys in this band value musicianship and personality over anything else, but I'm still going to bring the guitar that I think best suits their sound AND their image.

• Members

I'm a guy who refuses to change the Melita bridge on my Gretsch-- you know, the big heavy antique thing with spikes sticking up out of it that make palm-muting almost impossible-- just because it looks cool. I figure I can adapt. So yes, I know what you're saying.

• Members

I'd get a Hello Kitty strat if they had 3 pickups. Embrace the things that repel you. I'd never get one of those goth battle axe looking guitars. SGs have never appealed to me, and LPs are too much weight

But.... one thing that struck me was that it seems since you don't have control over which piano you may have to play, you figure why control which guitar you play.... I'd say that is one big advantage of playing guitar. Use the over worked analogy of a woman: most could "fit" your basic needs (whatever they may be), but some just fit you to a tee, can sing in a way no other can, etc etc.

PUPs and all that are important. But why not get a silk purse instead of a sow's ear when you are buying?

• Members

For the most part, I agree with this observation.

However, I do own one guitar that I absolutely hate how it looks. If it were any other color/finish, I'd absolutely love it. Other than the horrid finish, it plays great, sounds great, and stays in tune like a mofo. I'll never sell it, because it's hard enough to find a good baritone guitar. So, I'll keep this ugly bastard of a Dano.

Here's a pic of it.

Schecter_vs_Dano.jpg

• Members

of course looks are important. But the thing is all the brands I'm interested in build with incredible quality. And they build enough guitars that I can always find a color or wood type that I'll like from the brands I want. So it's still quality first before looks...but it's never been a problem to find the quality IN the look I want.

If for some bizarre reason it ever came down to quality vs looks though...I'd take quality every time...NO question. Thankfully it never comes to that.

• Members

How a guitar looks is important to me as well. It's not the most important factor, but it's up there. Playability is first, looks are probably second and tone is third. If a guitar doesn't feel good in my hands and make me want to play, then it doesn't matter how nice it looks, how expensive it is or how cool it sounds. A lot of that for me personally is neck shape and nut width, and I'd lump in build quality with this - if a guitar has uneven frets or other obvious build issues and buzzes out that just sucks. If a guitar was butt-ugly (to me), but it played great and sounded great, I'd still play it. The non-changeable parts of the guitar itself are only a small part of the tone equation so no matter what the guitar sounds like, my ears, my fingers, my amps, picks, pedals, etc all go into the tone as well. Even something that sounds downright nasty can have a place in the right song & style.

Really, everything has to be right for me to buy another guitar. There are a billion guitars out there, why waste time on something that isn't "right" on all fronts? It's all about the music - I want something inspiring to play, and that includes the look of the guitar. It shouldn't, but it does.

Archived