Is $390 for Fender Hot Rod Deluxe a fair price?

niceguy

• Members

$390 is okay. I usually consider them worth about $350, but around here I see them bringing $400 or so pretty regularly, with some in the $250 range if you're patient and wait.

As to your other question, you have it backwards. The older models were made in the USA and the newer ones are made in Mexico. There were some issues with resistors failing regularly and causing quite a few problems on the older models, but I never had that issue with either of mine (bought new in 97). Supposedly, the Mexico models have better quality solder joints, but I've only read that and have no direct evidence to support it.

• Members

Check out the deals thread for the Bogner 112/212 combo deals. A Hot Rod Deville 410 was what I was gonna buy before tumbling on that Bogner deal. $460 ish price matched from MF, 560-70 ish PM for the 212. i played through a few of them here. The clean channel and reverb sounded great, dirty was not so good, in fact, I thought my Super Champ XD was better sounding, though not near as loud, dirty.

• Members

I still don't understand the hate towards the Hot Rod series. There is a reason that they are the #1 tube amp line out there...they sound great clean, take pedals well, and don't break the bank. I had to sell mine a few months ago, but would take another one in a heartbeat. Sold it for $350, no cover...but extremely clean. I see them on Craigslist all the time in the $350-425 range. Like people have already stated, for that price...it should be very clean and have the cover/footswitch. If you find one of the limited edition models in different colors, those usually fetch a bit more money...but are very cool!

• Members

Having the Bogner now, my next goal is to find a used Red October Hot Rod Deville. As opposed to this guys' question, I think the new Bogner is a better purchase for slightly more money, but no hate towards the Fender... The clean/verb sound is incredible. If I had not bought the Bogner, a used Fender was the choice. I do think my Super Champ still breaks up a bit nicer, but that is an amazing litle amp.

• Members

Hm, thanks for all the replies. You've given me quite a bit to think over!

Foremost, though, I won't buy the amp unless I can talk it down to $350.

I'd noticed the Bogner Alchemist sale earlier, but that got me thinking: there's likely a reason why these amps are being blown out. I want to buy an amp which I'll use forever, not a flavor of the week which I trade out later. Ideally, I'd like to have a Fender combo for cleans, a Mesa of some sort, and a Vox of some sort.

• Members

Hm, thanks for all the replies. You've given me quite a bit to think over!

Foremost, though, I won't buy the amp unless I can talk it down to $350.

I'd noticed the Bogner Alchemist sale earlier, but that got me thinking: there's likely a reason why these amps are being blown out. I want to buy an amp which I'll use forever, not a flavor of the week which I trade out later. Ideally, I'd like to have a Fender combo for cleans, a Mesa of some sort, and a Vox of some sort.

I loved my Bogner Alchemist. It really has it's own tone. It's the most dynamically responsive amp I've ever played. How much are they going for?

• Members

I'd say this sounds like a pretty good deal if you like the amp.

Thanks! Gonna demo it this weekend and will report back. I really hope it's in as good condition as the seller says!

Anything I should look out for? This will be the first time I'm buying a used tube amp. I figure I'll play all channels, spin the knobs to check for dirty pots, etc etc.