Could Someone Do Some Splaining To Me?

Futuresman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

RaVen,are you a dick or an asshole?

While I appreciate your input/opinions on "cheap" guits,you're just kinda coming off as a TGP Elitist.

Please let us enjoy our inexpensive stuff,yo.

Let the man enjoy,quit being a Parade-{censored}ing-Pisser.

Yes,you do get what you pay for,agreed.It is what it is,dude.

• Members

While I appreciate your input/opinions on "cheap" guits,you're just kinda coming off as a TGP Elitist.

I can tell you've been hitting that whiskey pretty hard today. You might want to seek some help for that.

• Members

Rand, Some people are just best ignored. Less posts, time and energy wasted, know what I mean?

• Members

I'm starting to flip back to mexico. My cv's neck just backbowed. Sigh.

I think the MIM are great and the first CV I saw in a store had a backbowed neck. It is not uncommon.

MIM wins IMO and sounds better too (also IMO).

Rand...try the 'dental floss' action in the nut grooves with the string(s). Sometimes it works wonders - a couple of pulls back and forth (not deeper - wider) and some graphite dust from a pencil 'lead' afterwards.

Also (this is a 'beginner' one but also one that gets overlooked): always tune UP to a note.

• Members

I think the MIM are great and the first CV I saw in a store had a backbowed neck. It is not uncommon.

MIM wins IMO and sounds better too (also IMO).

Rand...try the 'dental floss' action in the nut grooves with the string(s). Sometimes it works wonders - a couple of pulls back and forth (not deeper - wider) and some graphite dust from a pencil 'lead' afterwards.

Also (this is a 'beginner' one but also one that gets overlooked): always tune UP to a note.

I've done the graphite thing forever. My guitar friends think I'm crazy but I swear by it.

• Members

The only "less expensive" guitar I have had in recent time with an excellent tusq nut that was well cut was a schecter - for some reason they seem to have it together better than epi and some others, at least from what I have seen. Now if they would just stop making them so gaudy it would be a big win in my book.

• Members

I believe that plastic nuts can be fine, if the quality of the plastic is good. MIA standard strats nuts are plastic and are good, however, import plastic nuts are not. At least it is an easy fix which is cheap.

It pays to be a bit of a tech with buying imports, you can get some great guitars for next to nothing and with just a little bit of love, turn into a real player.

• Members

The only "less expensive" guitar I have had in recent time with an excellent tusq nut that was well cut was a schecter - for some reason they seem to have it together better than epi and some others, at least from what I have seen. Now if they would just stop making them so gaudy it would be a big win in my book.

Just look/try something similar in ESP/LTD since they are the parent company to Schecter and have tamed down their once famed gaudiness.

• Members

That extra $10-15 they don't have to spend on a better nut goes straight to their bottom line. I agree, that's not a lot of money; but when you produce 1,000 guitars a day, it adds up. $10*1,000*365 = $3,650,000 a year, just on the nut. Now imagine how much they're saving on the pot metal hardware, the cheap {censored} electronics, the cut-rate strings that everyone cuts off within 5 minutes of owning them, etc...

http://www.edroman.com/rants/costcutting.htm

• Members

Just look/try something similar in ESP/LTD since they are the parent company to Schecter and have tamed down their once famed gaudiness.

You know, of all the guitars I have had, that is one brand I have never really tried, I am hitting GC next week , I may pull a few off the wall and check them out- thanks

• Members

You know, of all the guitars I have had, that is one brand I have never really tried, I am hitting GC next week , I may pull a few off the wall and check them out- thanks

Sure thing. The older Korean ones are awesome and don't hold their value at all so look for a used one. I think the only ones made in Korea now are the 500 series and up but the old 400 series was made in Korea and they are ass kickers. I think many Schecters are made on the same production line that the 400 line used to be made on (not sure of that-bit of a story I heard one time).

• Members

I think Ed gave the Chinese more credit for respecting weekends than I do, but the math is essentially the same. Cut a little here, a little there, you save a bunch on the bottom line, but your quality has gone to utter {censored}. But then, most Chinese brands already hover at absolute {censored}, so the downgrade to get to utter {censored} might not even be noticed...

• Members

I've read that plastic nuts have a tendency to "wear" and not allow the string to return to it's original position before a bend etc. I've also been told by a couple of luthiers that plastic nuts can "snag" the string and in general are really cheap. It just seems to me that for the extra 10-15$ it would cost, the manufacturer could use a better nut. In other words, tuning stability should be of the highest priority, no matter the intended price point. Also this isn't the first time Ive seen this....it seems that guitars sub $600-700 generally have this problem.

The same things happen with nuts made from other materials. As long as the nut is cut properly and lubed then there are no tuning stability issues. The people who perpetuate this kind of crap are either trying to sell you a nut, or just repeating something they heard or read somewhere.

• Members

There are some materials that seem to be relatively OK even with poor cuts, materials like Tusq XL or graphite seem to be very forgiving of bad cuts.

As long as properly cut, though, almost everything makes a fine nut. The plastic nuts on most Fenders seem to handle fine for me.

• Members

The same things happen with nuts made from other materials. As long as the nut is cut properly and lubed then there are no tuning stability issues. The people who perpetuate this kind of crap are either trying to sell you a nut, or just repeating something they heard or read somewhere.

^^^

And a lot has to do with the guitars headstock shape...the Gibson type 3 on a side tuner configuration is just asking for problems.

• Members

I believe that plastic nuts can be fine, if the quality of the plastic is good. MIA standard strats nuts are plastic and are good, however, import plastic nuts are not. At least it is an easy fix which is cheap.

It pays to be a bit of a tech with buying imports, you can get some great guitars for next to nothing and with just a little bit of love, turn into a real player.

fender uses cyclovak (sp), a type of plastic. I like it.

my squier cvc has a weirdly gray tinged nut but it works fine so far.

• Members

fender uses cyclovak (sp), a type of plastic.

Tusq is a type of plastic.

Density is the key. Sometimes plastic is too soft for what a nut is. Perhaps it comes down to the way that the polymer is processed...I don't know. I used to work in a polymer processing facility and we did lab tests on the product routinely to determine certain contents to establish their tolerance according to the application.

Archived