I have money, and now i have too many choices!

samzadgan

• Members

I'd go with #2. I've had a "faded" and a regular junior both before. In addition to the cheaper finish, the faded also seemed like they cut costs in the fretwork and other touches like fingerboard binding and tuners. I also couldn't stand the "faded" finish. It seemed to me like they got 80% done with the guitar and then decided to sell it as is. It did sound really great though and didn't play too terribly.

The junior on the other hand had a great fit and finish and seemed like it was only "less" expensive because it didn't have the carved maple cap or body binding.

• Members

The junior on the other hand had a great fit and finish and seemed like it was only "less" expensive because it didn't have the carved maple cap or body binding.

That's something i forgot to mention...given that the Junior doesn't have the maple top, it would sound darker...so may even sound better than the faded, especially for metal?

• Members

I love my faded studio. The only complaint I have is the BB's. They are just too hot imo, which for you is a perfect fit it would seem. Out of the box the only issue I had was the nut wasn't cut properly on the b string. It made an audible ping when tuning. Lubricated the nut with a pencil = problem solved.

• Members

I have the LP faded. It's a great guitar. Feels solid and has the classic LP sound. The BB pickups are great. They are a good "all around" pickups. They clean up rather well and RAWK when you turn the gain up.

Faded cherry models look good, the faded brown models are disgusting... that's my opinion though.

• Members

Studio. It's the only Les Paul on your list apart from the Junior (which isn't really what I think of when I think Les Paul).

Oh, and the other choices are fine guitars also but I wouldn't bother with the PRS offerings if you want a LP kinda sound. Similar construction, different scale length. Not a vast world of difference so if you really really like them then go for it. Personally, I'd have the EC401 before any of the others.

• Members
No one has mentioned the Epiphone custom...even with new pups, no one would bother with it?

No real point. It's no better than an Epiphone LP Standard. It pretty much costs more because of some extra binding and some differently (and less ornately) shaped inlays.

• Members

As far as the 2 I would choose from,which I want to check out the new LP Jr's depends on what you like your neck profile to be. I had a faded and did not like the fat 50's neck it had. The new LP Jr's habe a slim taper neck. The faded was a decent guitar but wasn't for me as far as neck profile.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H80022.003c.jpg

• Members

Does it have to be new? If not, consider a Yamaha SG. You might be able to pick up a 1300T 1500 or maybe a 1000 (ebony fretboard), maybe! They are really well built, the only thing I don't like about them are the pick-ups, (I've changed them on mine), but SG's are considered by many to be LP killers, worth considering anyway.

• Members

Does it have to be new? If not, consider a Yamaha SG. You might be able to pick up a 1300T 1500 or maybe a 1000 (ebony fretboard), maybe! They are really well built, the only thing I don't like about them are the pick-ups, (I've changed them on mine), but SG's are considered by many to be LP killers, worth considering anyway.

I would love an SG 1000...the only thing is...if its not in a shop, i'm not buying it...i know i lose out on money, but i just cant buy something from someone i don't know...ebay, case in point. I really cant trust paying someone

Archived