Is 25 watts enough to play CLEAN with a drummer and full band?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I know 25-watts is more than enough to play with a drummer and full band, but is it enough to play CLEAN?

I have heard a lot of different answers to this. Some people say 30-watts is the minimum to get away with a clean sound but that 40-watts is ideal.

What is your experience? Oh by the way, tube amp only! No microphone or PA. Just "run watcha brung."

• Members

I haven't played through a TA 15 but Mesa's tend to be louder than their stated wattage would suggest. I worried I would blow the windows out of the music store where I demo'd an F-30 once.

So, into some efficient speakers and playing with a drummer who plays nice, you'd probably be okay. Factor in the venue and crowd, though.

• Members

Clean? Clean clean?

25 watts RMS probably won't cover it.

Is it possible? Yes. It is probable? No.

But, you are fine in the sweet spot where it's just breaking up (rockabilly OD) then 25 watts will be more than plenty.

• Members

This, too. Drummers vary widely.

this and this. It's real hard to find a drummer who is willing to blend with the band. Usually these are the ones who don't drag their knuckles on the ground and grunt a lot.

• Members

Twin Reverb is overkill. Just get a deluxe reverb.

How is that? You just said your Rocker 30 can't hang in a band setting when playing clean. The Deluxe Reverb is 22-watts. How is that going to hang any better given it's a lower wattage amp?

SGrocker30, when you're playing the drive channel on your Rocker 30 do you ever feel that you might need more volume? Or is it a non-issue on the drive channel? I'm assuming 30-watts should be more than enough when playing the drive channel. I'm guess you don't NEED to crank up the volume right?

• Members

How hard does your drummer hit?

I have not played with a drummer in a few years and I'll admit I was using an amp that was overkill. Right now I just jam with other guitar players and a bassist. I'm looking to start playing with a drummer again but my 1-watt head is not going to cut it haha.

Not sure when I plan on buying a new amp, but right now, what I like so far is the Mesa TransAtlantic 15 and the Orange Rocker 30.

• Members

I have not played with a drummer in a few years and I'll admit I was using an amp that was overkill. Right now I just jam with other guitar players and a bassist. I'm looking to start playing with a drummer again but my 1-watt head is not going to cut it haha.

Not sure when I plan on buying a new amp, but right now, what I like so far is the Mesa TransAtlantic 15 and the Orange Rocker 30.

Then just wait until you need it. you will need to compliment the other players anyway, and if nothing is set as far as their rigs, it's next to impossible to figure that sort of thing out just yet.

• Members

My Peavey Classic 30 can remove fillings from your teeth without distorting.

But everybody who said "it depends" is giving the correct answer. Wattage is an almost useless indicator of clean headroom, beyond a rough rule-of-thumb. Current matters too, as does speaker efficiency, baffle design, and a ton of other factors.

Archived