How often do you guys change electric guitar strings?

Jimmy25

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every month to month and a half. Ideally, every three weeks. It's not rust - dirt and skin get in between the winds and literally choke out the string from fully vibrating. To me, old strings make the guitar feel dead. Besides the brightness, the string energy, sustain, and "pop" just aren't there with old stings.

I agree - definitely prefer reasonably new strings. Whenever a restring my guitars, I am always struck with how much more I prefer them over the week that follows.

• Members

With Elixer Nanowebs, 3-6 months depending how much I'm playing. Non-coated strings would be dead in a week if I was playing a lot. If I didn't have a gig coming up I'd probably put up with rusty, dead strings for another week or two to save some money.

• Members

Back when I was young I had to change my strings as often as every week because I was sweaty and played a lot.

Now that I'm older and all dried up I change my strings on my main guitar every month or two. I need to change them every month but I get lazy and so that's why it's sometimes two months.

I use pure nickelwound nowadays and they seem to last longer.

PS Sometimes a set of strings will go dead quick, I just figure they were old in the package.

• Members

+1

I also make sure I wash my hands before I play, and use Fast Fret both before and after to clean and lubricate.

this will take care of it.

Except I usually wipe the fretting hand with iso alcohol before playing, just to take the grease off without softening the tips.

• Members

WOW! I'm surprised how long most of you keep your strings on! :eek:

I change mine once every 10-14 days depending on how many gigs/rehearsals we have in any given week. After 2 practices and a show or two I find my strings basically rusted over. But, I have been using GHS Fast Fret on them recently and that definitely extends their life.

• Members

In the first place, string longevity must be measured in playing hours. Not weeks or months.

In the second place, different strings lose their mojo at different rates. Skinny roundwounds might give you 12 hours of play, 12 gauge flatwounds might last a year, bass strings might last a decade. Acoustic strings, you might get two good sessions from, though coated strings last longer.

So what the hell are "strings" anyway? Is it really useful to say I change strings every week to every decade depending?

• Members

In the first place, string longevity must be measured in playing hours. Not weeks or months.

I think that pretty much sums it up right there. I guess i would say I change 'em every 15-20 playing hours then

• Members

I agree - definitely prefer reasonably new strings. Whenever a restring my guitars, I am always struck with how much more I prefer them over the week that follows.

Exactly - if it's been awhile since I last restrung, I usually have one of those moments where I go, "whoa, I forgot this guitar sounded so good!" after restringing.

Likewise, if I'm struggling with my tone, the first thing I'll turn to will be fresh strings. Usually solves the problem. For my purposes, it is the one of THE most important aspects of getting a good sound. New strings vs old strings can be as big of a difference as changing pickups.

• Members

Damn, some of you guys really get your money's worth outta' strings! I'm curious why so seldom - is it the aggravation of changing them, the cost, do you prefer them, or do you really not notice the difference in old strings? I've heard some people claim they actually prefer them, but it's usually bass players. I know someone who plays in a band that tours internationally who just broke a bass string on a set that was nearly 20 years old...

• Members

I'm curious why so seldom - is it the aggravation of changing them, the cost, do you prefer them, or do you really not notice the difference in old strings?

Mine last longer because I spread my playing time over 4 guitars. I'd change lots more often if I was playing one all the time.

• Members

Damn, some of you guys really get your money's worth outta' strings! I'm curious why so seldom - is it the aggravation of changing them, the cost, do you prefer them, or do you really not notice the difference in old strings? I've heard some people claim they actually prefer them, but it's usually bass players. I know someone who plays in a band that tours internationally who just broke a bass string on a set that was nearly 20 years old...

For me it's mostly I just don't like changing strings, tedious compared to just picking up the guitar and playing.

• Members

disagree to a certain extent......

I could put brand new strings on my guitar, put it untouched on a stand and they would start to show corrosion in 1 to 2 weeks.

• Members

Usually about every 3 months or so. If its a guitar I have plated nickel strings I can get away with 6 months, pure nickel tend to only last me 3 months, but the tone is sooo goood!!!

I have some flatwounds on my Epiphone Les Paul that I use for school (jazz) and they are close to 2 years old and sound great!

Archived