Offsets?? Eeeeeew, wouldn't even touch one with yours

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since I grew up in the late 60s and 70s, I never was around them.

well, a friend had a Duo Sonic, but thats more like a hardtail short scale strat than a Jag or Mustang.

Then starting in the 80s I went acoustic pretty much 100% and kinda ignored electric guitars up until a few yrs ago.

When I got back into electrics I went with what I knew, Gibsons, Strats, & Teles.

I was aware that Elvis Costello played a Jazzmaster, and Cobain had some kinda cobbled together Jag/Mustang kinda thing, but I never sought them out to try one until I

started learning a few old surf tunes a while back.

So Ive actually held and played a few in the last yr or so. Reissue JM, the Macis JM, the Classic Player Jag.

And I like how they feel, both JMs and Jags. Id like to get one or the other, but I already got too many guitars.

I've never played a Mustang, but I must agree, they do look kinda dorky.

• Members

I like guitars that make sound when I plug them into an amp.

I don't hate a guitar because of its shape or the types of music currently associated with a given guitar type. When I see a Jag or a Jazzmaster, I think of surf more than Indie Hipster stuff.

Basically, if I can take a guitar, plug it into a Vox, Fender or Marshall amp and get some sort of usable tone out of it, I can get along with it.

:idk:

:cop: Reasonable views are not allowed!

• Members

*Disclaimer* I don't own an offset. Therefore, I reserve the right to make critical posts about them. But, in case I buy one in a drunken stupor one day, I reserve the right to change my tune.

Offsets tend to look like amputees to me. Mustangs look particularly sad. Do they make prosthetics for guitars?

Jaguars have an odd look with switches and knobs that would seem more appropriate for a stomp box than a guitar. The pickguards look like Leo couldn't decide which way to go and so mixed two concepts together.

Yet, there's something about that black and chrome, HH Jaguar that looks less fugly to me. Maybe, I'm coming down with a bug. :idk:

• Moderators

I came in here just because I knew there would be people posting pictures of sweet offset guitars. Thanks for that.

As I said previously I like to think of myself as a public service, but please don't disturb me again, I was on the phone to Johnny Marr about curing his fugly Jaguar, with a Tieastratomy

• Members

I love Jaguars and Jazzmasters, but don't particularly like Mustangs. I have noticed that offsets in general are quickly becoming as popular as Strats and Teles nowadays though (at least in indie/alternative music).

If the offset Fenders came out first and the Tele came along after the Strat, there would be people saying the Tele looks like an abomination.

There are already quite a few people out there who think Teles are downright ugly. I think it's because of its simplicity and bare bones looks. I love the looks of my Squier Classic Vibe Custom Tele though.

• Members

*Disclaimer* I don't own an offset. Therefore, I reserve the right to make critical posts about them. But, in case I buy one in a drunken stupor one day, I reserve the right
to change my tune

Offsets tend to look like amputees to me. Mustangs look particularly sad. Do they make prosthetics for guitars?

Jaguars have an odd look with switches and knobs that would seem more appropriate for a stomp box than a guitar. The pickguards look like Leo couldn't decide which way to go and so mixed two concepts together.

Yet, there's something about that black and chrome, HH Jaguar that looks less fugly to me. Maybe, I'm coming down with a bug.
:idk:

:lol: True.

Tastes change....you never know. I used to think teles were ugly. I can deal with them now. But they are all just compromises on the perfect design. For underdog types with small hands.

Archived