I've been playing with reverb tanks all day.

honeyiscool

• Members

I've been playing with reverb tanks of identical specs since I really love the reverb on my Peavey Bandit and wanted to transplant that to some of my other amps, so I've been. Here's what I've found by comparing two 4EB2C1B tanks (one Accutronics and one MOD) and an Accutronics 8DB2C1D.

Vintage Accutronics tanks (USA) are very splashy and surfy. The short ones (3-spring) are OK, but the long ones (2-spring) sound much better. Meanwhile, tonally, MOD reverb tanks are cavernous and warm, and just give you a lot more reverb in the sense that 5 on a MOD tank sounds like 10 on an Accutronics tank, but unfortunately (or fortunately for some), MOD tanks are not as springy or splashy. It doesn't quite have that surfy slapback effect that the Accutronics has.

MOD tanks are also a lot more vibration proof, to the point that you really have to drop the amp to get that crash sound, and because it's not as springy, it sounds a bit more like a prolonged trainwreck inside a cave than the quick crash that the Accutronics tanks have. Thankfully, I only have solid state amps so I can afford to be brutal to my amps. I think the average player would enjoy MOD tanks way more, but I personally like the sound of the Accutronics tanks more because I like that vintage springy sound. That said, I'm loving the range on the MOD tanks, so MOD makes up for its more generic tone by giving me way more reverb to play with. Even 2-3 on a MOD tank gets me into noticeable reverb, where I have to crank it on an Accutronics tank. So I would imagine that I'd want something an Accutronics in a Fender style amp but a MOD in a Vox style amp.

Overall, though, MOD is better made and looks nicer. I just love the sound of Accutronics, though. I'm getting another new Accutronics tank soon, the ones built by Belton in Korea. I hope to compare it with the old Accutronics and see which one I prefer tonally, although it will be different since I ordered a long 3-spring model, which probably aren't as springy.

(Also, I found that the expected impedance mismatch between an amp that had a stock 8DB2C1D and an amp that had a stock 4EB2C1B did not create any audible issues when I was swapping around tanks. I suppose it's because they're not too far from each other, but feel free to yell at me for doing this.)

• Members

I swapped out the short spring tank in my ampeg jet for a long 4 spring accutronics tank ( Type 4) and it was a completely different sound. The long tank wasn't as in your face a sound, but it was much fuller and more depth and complexity. I got that tank just before accutronics was bought out by Belton. I was worried the new owner would fiddle with the sound. I'm glad to hear the new tanks are performing well for you. I'm an accutronics fan too.

Have you ever tried one of the 6 spring models (Type 9)?

• Members

I swapped out the short spring tank in my ampeg jet for a long two spring accutronics tank and it was a completely different sound. The long tank wasn't as in your face a sound, but it was much fuller and more depth and complexity. I got that tank just before accutronics was bought out by Belton. I was worried the new owner would fiddle with the sound. I'm glad to hear the new tanks are performing well for you. I'm an accutronics fan too.

Me too. I had a short tank in my Crate V1512 that came stock....sounded OK up to about 5 but then sounded like a bad Karaoke machine....I put in an accutronics pre belton. Much nicer. Not as much range...but a better sound overall.

I also wanted to pick one up before the sale of the company just because I'd heard the accutronics are what all the classic fender's used for that sound....I don't know if there is any difference...probably not...but still, I could always get a Belton one but the originals are gone. Might as well not take the chance, in case they do end up different.

• Members

Those aren't reverb TANKS! They're reverb PANS!
:cop:

If you want a real splashy reverb sound, try an old Gibs pan.
:thu:

this...then you can play kick the tank!

this may be heresey but I think the verb in the vox ac30 sounds better than my twin reverb.

• Members

I have not had any reverb for a while now. I am sort of jonesin for it. I think I would prefer subtle yet warm and deep over the hit you in the head reverb. I may be wrong, I just think that is the way it is. I have been considering building a reverb unit or buying an amp with reverb.

The results of these comparisons are pertinent to my interests. Thank you and please continue.

sub'd.

• Members

I have not had any reverb for a while now. I am sort of jonesin for it. I think I would prefer subtle yet warm and deep over the hit you in the head reverb. I may be wrong, I just think that is the way it is. I have been considering building a reverb unit or buying an amp with reverb.

The results of these comparisons are pertinent to my interests. Thank you and please continue.

sub'd.

I don't know. The Accutronics I've used have all been pretty fake and springy, but in a good, vibey way. I think what you're describing is perhaps a 6-spring MOD tank with short or medium reverb time.

Keep in mind, though, I think a Holy Grail Nano pedal pretty much responds exactly like a good amp reverb unit in the spring reverb mode, and requires no mods to your amp.

• Members

One of the issues I have had is that I think what everyone's ideal of good reverb is the super duper splashy surfer reverb. I don't think that is what I want. I am thinking just a hint to a little bit, but warm and organic. Gonna check out the MOD stuff.

• Members
yeah but so was the vox.

The Fender reissues just don't seem to have the spash. I don't know why. I have a Silverface Twin Reverb in the living room that is so dripping wet it almost sounds like an outboard unit. It's that good. But I can't explain why. The same is true of my Silverface Super Reverb and Silverface Bandmaster Reverb. Just sopping wet. Oddly enough, I also have a Silverface Vibrosonic Reverb that doesn't pass muster. I've tried a couple of different pans in it and it still sound weak. :idk:

• Members

Have you ever tried changing the driver and return tubes in the Vibrosonic?

Positions V3 and V4, right? Yes. I've swapped out all of the preamp tubes at some point.

This amp has had some "work" done to it and I have a hunch whomever it was screwed up the reverb.

• Members

Have you ever tried changing the driver and return tubes in the Vibrosonic?

I just tried that in a Super Reverb this week and so far I've left it that way.

It sounds a but warmer but I still find the reverb to be over the top.

• Members

I swapped out the short spring tank in my ampeg jet for a long 4 spring accutronics tank ( Type 4) and it was a completely different sound. The long tank wasn't as in your face a sound, but it was much fuller and more depth and complexity. I got that tank just before accutronics was bought out by Belton. I was worried the new owner would fiddle with the sound. I'm glad to hear the new tanks are performing well for you. I'm an accutronics fan too.

Yeah it sucks they got bought out cause the home office was near me. I picked up a two spring just before they were done.

• Members

The Fender reissues just don't seem to have the spash. I don't know why. I have a Silverface Twin Reverb in the living room that is so dripping wet it almost sounds like an outboard unit. It's
that
good. But I can't explain why. The same is true of my Silverface Super Reverb and Silverface Bandmaster Reverb. Just sopping wet. Oddly enough, I also have a Silverface Vibrosonic Reverb that doesn't pass muster. I've tried a couple of different pans in it and it still sound weak.
:idk:

i mean it sounds great, but I leave on 3. when I want that deep, surf music verb is where it falls short. Of course, and outboard would solve that.

I used to have a 68 dual showman, played through my twin reverb speakers it didnt sound as good. The tremolo was kind of weak too.

• Members

Positions V3 and V4, right? Yes. I've swapped out all of the preamp tubes at some point.

This amp has had some "work" done to it and I have a hunch whomever it was screwed up the reverb.

I went through that with an old amp of mine. The reverb started sounding wonky, and would sometimes oscillate and sound like feedback. The fix for that turned out to be a new cable to the tank, and I think the tech replaced a few old caps while he was in there.

• Members

I don't know the model number, but the reverb in my Rivera amp is a 6 spring long pan Accutronics. It sounds great - complex, and not "boingy."

Very cool. Sounds like you have a type 9 in there, or something close too it. Your explanation of the sound is exactly what I'd expect from the other reviews I've read. Thanks for the input. :thu:

Tanks are relatively cheap, maybe I'll try one out just for fun. I love the full reverb sound, but I'm not as into the sproing. My amps are all ampegs and the reverb, though full and lush, sounds very different from the splashy fender reverb sound probably because of the recovery circuit. As far as I know, the tanks I have a similar to one's used in many fender amps, though the impedance ratings are different,.

• Members

After trying out some tanks, swapping a few of them around among three amps, I think circuits are circuits, and yes, it's important, but the splashy is largely in the tank. There's almost zero with the MOD tank, plenty with both Accutronics tanks, and the metal box they call a spring reverb that came stock with a Peavey Envoy just sounds like {censored}.

Archived