The Black Keys on Van Halen

scolfax

• Members

And you no can't even get that right. It's ONLY YOUR OPINION that he "wrote" great music. I think all the new stuff on the new album is {censored}ing brilliant therefore I think he WRITES amazing music. Sorry but there is no "right" when it comes to judging if VH's new music is "good". But hey...thanks for trying to tell everyone what to think.

The 'new' stuff is all reworked old stuiff so 'wrote' is still appropriate.

Van Halen didn't start in 1972...nice 'history' though.

You and I disagree completely. I never said that you hjad to agree, in fact you are the one who got bent out of shape about my opinion - which you don't have to give a F about.

If my bus driver kills puppies for fun, I don't say "well, he's a great bus driver" and move on...I say he's a piece of crap. That's the way I am.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a fine line between classless and unethical. Eddie gave him a no-win option during the 2004 tour. In retrospect, Michael may have chosen the worse of two bad options, but they were both bad.

While music certainly is a business, most bands don't operate in quite the same way. It's not like Eddie was CEO and everyone else is his employee. (Well, maybe it is now, but probably not back in the '70s.) Bands are traditionally collaborative groups.

It's probably within Eddie's right to fire Michael, but it's still a {censored}ty way to treat a long-time band mate. But hey, Eddie's known for treating people badly, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Patrick Carney just voiced an opinion that a lot of other people have, including a lot of people on this board.

Yep. But let's look at what he said...

"I have no interest in seeing bands with partial lineups. I just saw Van Halen without Michael Anthony. I'm not a very big Van Halen fan but it was such a {censored}ing bummer. Like what the {censored} is the point?"

So...he has no interest in seeing bands with "partial lineups", but he went to see VH? What the...? He's not a big fan but it was a bummer? What the....? What's the point?....well...what was the {censored}ing point of you going to the show if it pissed you off so much and you're not fan to begin with?

So basically....like smorg.....he's not really interested in talking about the music at all. Just the situation. And for him it ALL sucks because of the situation....lol..

So he goes and rants in an interview about something he DIDN'T even have to do in the first place????

Whatever......to me the guy is an even bigger loser than VH because he's making such a big deal about something he can just ignore if he so chooses. But he'd rather not...he'd rather be the cynical cool guy pandering to all his fan boys that think they are something special cause they are "into the Black Key's man!".....

• Members

The 'new' stuff is all reworked old stuiff so 'wrote' is still appropriate.

Van Halen didn't start in 1972...nice 'history' though.

Nope...you're wrong...only about half the new album is reworked old stuff. Fail.

"Genesis" started by Eddie and Alex Van Halen started in 72. Michael Anthony was hired by Genesis in 74. Name changed to Mammoth and then to Van Halen. Split hairs about the name all you want....doesn't change the fact your wrong.

• Members

Even if I am wrong about that {censored} it doesn't matter to me. It was a band, not an employer.

If half of the new stuff IS new then that's worse - hang it up. None of it would have made VHII.

So basically....like smorg.....he's not really interested in talking about the music at all. Just the situation. And for him it ALL sucks because of the situation....lol..

You put words in my mouth. I never spoke about the music. If you want my opinion of the music it is this:

They had the best opportunity that could have ever been afforded them in 1996 and Ed's ego got in the way. there was still crazy interest in the band and a Grammy appearance had the buzz going full tilt but it was all about Ed. Mike was even right there supporting Ed all the way.

Now, the music sounds like a bunch of stuff that didn't make the cut - and I thought thjat before I found out that it was exactly that. It sounds like a load of B side filler. Roth's voice is gone. It still sounds cool in a way but in 1996 he could still do it all.

Erasing pictures from records and publicity shots? That's Sharon Osbourne sort of {censored}.

• Members

Michael Anthony was asked to JOIN the band. Not hired. DLR was asked to JOIN the band. it does get down to semantics, but in essence, most bands are made up of people who don't get along but agree to disagree for the larger goal, or a group that turns into a club or mini-family. I always thought VH was the latter. Then they dumped MA. When Dave left, it was because he was full of himself and thought he did not need Ed's , music, which for a while, worked. "Van Hagar" was the most commercially successful iteration of VH, but, there is not replacing the original 4. When a band goes so far as to have the guys pics removed....that is just petty and {censored}ty.

These guys were like brothers, and Ed and Al {censored}ed MA over. MA sees them for what they are, douchebags (albeit brilliant musicians) but douchebags. To oust someone like MA from VH after all that time...these are NOT good people. I would not WANT to know EVH. Mike and Sammy, I would. But, since I don't KNOW any of them, I go one what I hear, see, and what makes sense.

Like many others on here, I have a hard time supporting a great musician who is a piece of crap as a human being, and from what I know ( and granted this is all internet bs/newsw/etc) Ed flipped out, lost his {censored} and fired MA. he seems like he is back on track, but, the facts seem to support Eddie and Al being jerks to a man who had their backs for YEARS. I have also heard that Wolfie is still in contact with Mike, and that Mike is close to him, but is able to keep his mouth shut for the good of the kid. That speaks volumes about Michael Anthony. He loves Wolfgang, Wolfgang prolly knows his dad is a douche, and MA is big enough to leave it aside and remain a mentor to Wolfgang. Again, MA FTW.

• Members

Yeah, I think it's a bit of a turn off that Eddie has his son, Pugsley, no I mean, Wolfie, slapping the bass at the EVH shows. Seems like very few bands have had the sense that the Rolling Stones have had to try to keep it together as a business, as a bona fide tried and true stage show production staple, like a show such as "Cats" on Broadway that ran on and on (sure the actors changed but the characters don't). Instead most bands change out the players along with their sanitary napkins. Hard to figure why so many bands have to act like a bunch of mood swinging bitches. But OTOH, the EVH tour is doing better than most of us would have expected. And as mentioned above, maybe partnering with his son has helped Eddie focus more on the show.

• Members

Yeah, I think it's a bit of a turn off that Eddie has his son, Pugsley, no I mean, Wolfie, slapping the bass at the EVH shows.

You know, I totally understand Eddie's urge to include his son. But there were plenty of ways to get that done without kicking MA out.

No need to bash Wolfgang for the situation. If I were him I'd totally be on board too! Who wouldn't jump at the chance to do a world-tour with their dad?!

• Members

You know, I totally understand Eddie's urge to include his son. But there were plenty of ways to get that done without kicking MA out.

I think people don't understand it's two completely separate issues.

MA is OUT because Eddie is petty, and was bull{censored} they kicked Sammy out but that MA was still hanging with him, and performing with him at his Cabo club (and I believe on his solo disc).

Wolfgang is IN because he's the guy who is kicking the VH brothers in the ass, and his involvement is what is keeping Eddie sober and level-headed.

MA was not kicked out so they could include Wolfgang.

Only reason we got a tour, reunion with Dave, and new album is likely Wolfgang kicking his dad's ass.

Without wolfie, I think the original plan was:

- Kick out MA, get him to sign off his rights

- Live off back catalog royalties including MA's share, die of drug overdose

• Members
Key words there...."I GAVE UP A LOT".

He made a choice. I don't feel sorry for musicians who knowingly sign away their rights. He could have said "no thanks Ed...I'll keep my credits and royalties....don't want me on this tour...no problem...see you around". But he didn't....he wanted to be a part of that tour "for the fans"....VH told him the price to be a part of that tour, and he accepted. Sounds like he has...yet all his fanboys are rushing to his defense like he was mugged in a park at night or something. lol.

Again....Van Halen is probably and asshole...wow...shocking! He's an asshole that in my opinion writes some amazing music.

Michael Anthony's not exactly sleeping in a ditch (see previous comment about "wealthiest member of Van Halen") and his hot sauce business appears to be doing well. It helps that he only has one wife to support. :lol: Any band would be more than happy to have his talent, work ethic and easy-to-get-along-with personality, and Sammy Hagar's smart enough to snap him up if he's available (not a fan of his lyrics but Hagar's no fool; he sold a large chunk of his tequila business for $80 million).

Whether or not VH's new CD is amazing or lousy (reviews have been highly mixed), that's still a lousy way to treat a guy who had your back for over 30 years.

• Members
your so full of old news and full of {censored}......and you sound like a ******do you even have a clue to what its like to be in the business? the mother{censored}er has worked hard his whole life he has the right to make money with his line of gear.....If you don't like him hit the ignore button and move on, but don't pretend you know Eddie Van Halen cuz you don't.

I'm a pretty tolerant sort of guy, but EVH comes across as a total self-centred asshole. You can't hide that sort of thing. I'm sure he was a nice guy once, maybe in the 80's when he was just a happy drunk and a good guitarist with some cool new tricks. Now every word from his mouth is hatred spewed from a life of addicted despair. Oh - and his whoring his name out to gear manufacturers outlived his musical usefulness for roughly half his career. I hope he stays clean for the sake of the long-suffering people that still care about him.

• Members

I'm a pretty tolerant sort of guy, but EVH comes across as a total self-centred asshole. You can't hide that sort of thing. I'm sure he was a nice guy once, maybe in the 80's when he was just a happy drunk and a good guitarist with some cool new tricks. Now every word from his mouth is hatred spewed from a life of addicted despair. Oh - and his whoring his name out to gear manufacturers outlived his musical usefulness for roughly half his career. I hope he stays clean for the sake of the long-suffering people that still care about him.

and his whoring his name out to gear manufacturers outlived his musical usefulness for roughly

Dumbest thing i've ever read...sounds like you've been out of touch since the 80's

Fender went to Ed not the other way around and you think he is the only one to have a sig guitar?

• Members

If Eddie's an a$$hole, who cares. It has nothing to do with it. It's his SON dammit! Why wouldn't he want to tour with his son?!?!?

And not for nothing.....i think wolfie is a GREAT bass player. This little prick from the black keys should get his mouth smacked for dissing rock royalty. I volunteer.

• Members

Dio with Sabbath, Coverdale and Hughes with Deep Purple, Dickinson with Iron Maiden etc. To me if the music is good, I'll buy it and go see them. Lineup changes don't bother me unless I liked the guy that left i.e. Vivian Campbell. But if the new stuff is cool too I'll go see it. Usually you just end up with more cool music. Blackmore leaves Purple and you end up with Purple AND Rainbow. Why does everyone have to be such a hardass. If the music is good, then so be it.

• Members

rolling stones has what 2 original members left? how is that ot the same

Three original members. Two died and two quit. And Mick Jagger, for all his other faults, never tried to remove Brian Jones or Mick Taylor's mug from record sleeves.

• Members

Three original members. Two died and two quit. And Mick Jagger, for all his other faults, never tried to remove Brian Jones or Mick Taylor's mug from record sleeves.

do you know who did that? no you don't.. it wasn't Ed Al or Dave it was the jerk running the web page and was changed right back.Remember assumptions are the mother of all {censored}ups.

• Members
do you know who did that? no you don't.. it wasn't Ed Al or Dave it was the jerk running the web page and was changed right back.Remember assumptions are the mother of all {censored}ups.

Was that VH's official response? Some dude running the website "took it upon himself" to alter a couple of classic album covers to remove a despised former member, that EVH was agitating to get rid of as far back as 2004?

I'll take "Classic Duck-and-Cover Responses for $200, Alex." :facepalm::lol:

Archived