Great solid state blues amp - does such a creature exist?

Tidal Rhythm

• Members

Whenever I think of the best amps for blues, I think exclusively of tube-driven amplifiers. (Some might say that statement would apply to all types of music, but to me this is especially true for blues.) Help expand my view and suggest a great solid state amp - or two - for da blues.

• Members

Standard Roland Cubes are no slouches either.

Transtube Peavey Bandits are also quite good.

From my experiences with them, Peavy Bandits are some of the most versatile amps out there. I was able to play everything from ska/reggae to Gilmour style solos to Dream Dream theater on them, without a single one being compromised.

• Members

Any good solid state amp can be a good blues amp. It depends on the player, not the amp.

But the same player will have a very different tone through different amps. What sounds "better" or "worse" is, of course, a subjective classification, but the amp will play a huge role in determining the overall sound.

• Members

What kind of amp did Robert Johnson use?

The corner of his hotel room.

I've seen bluesmen with Acoustic amps, old Peaveys, Gibson's Lab series, Roland Cubes and JC-120's. I really like the tones I can get from a Tech 21 Trademark.

• Members

Lab series.

Yup! Hellya!

Got a L5. Awesome amp. (ugly as hell as it's in a ghetto cab, made a little cooler by the 'CRAFTSMAN logo) but sounds great. Tubey! (ducks)

Breaks up like a tube. Has built in compression, EQ, spring verb. BB loves 'em. But don't let that turn you off.

• Members

But the same player will have a very different tone through different amps. What sounds "better" or "worse" is, of course, a subjective classification, but the amp will play a huge role in determining the overall sound.

True, but a good blues player should be able to make any amp sound good.

• Members

As mentioned BB used Lab series amps. Albert King used them and Rolands. Donald Kinsey used Peavey. Wes Montgomery used Standel. Kenny Neal used Roland. Johnny Clyde Copeland used Peavey. Lots of the blues guys I have seen were using SS amps. I was really bummed when I would see it, too, 'cause I was buying tube amps to try and sound like them. I think a lot of them switched over to SS in the late 60's early 70's because they held up better out on the road, but the good blues guys made 'em sound like a million dollars

• Members
As mentioned BB used Lab series amps. Albert King used them and Rolands. Donald Kinsey used Peavey. Wes Montgomery used Standel. Kenny Neal used Roland. Johnny Clyde Copeland used Peavey. Lots of the blues guys I have seen were using SS amps. I was really bummed when I would see it, too, 'cause I was buying tube amps to try and sound like them. I think a lot of them switched over to SS in the late 60's early 70's because they held up better out on the road, but the good blues guys made 'em sound like a million dollars

• Members

I use an older model Roland Cube 60. ^0 watts into a 12" speaker. It only has a clean and "overdrive" channel which is pretty good for blues. I generally use the clean channel and turn it up. You can usually find these used for around $150-$200.

Roland%20Cube%2060-1.JPG

Roland%20Cube%2060-3.JPG

Roland%20Cube%2060-4.JPG

[video=youtube;0LM_UriWLRY]

Archived