Need help deciding between the THR10 and THR5 (new owners or ABers please chip in)

Jkater

• Members

Yeah -- but I'd want the one i could use with my bass, too!

If its the same wattage and the same speaker, why can't you play a bass through the THR5? Because it doesn't have a "Bass" preset on it? I'd love to hear from someone who has actually played a bass through the THR5.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
. I'm going for the 10.
:thu:

I'd like to eventually pick up one myself, but I'm also torn. It's like, you know it's not going to be your "big sound" amp, so it is tempting to optimize the table top size feature of the 5. OTOH, you hate to skimp on additional features for just one more Benjie. :confused:

• Members
Gear--ultimately--is only as good as the person using it: I'm certain that, in Jkater's hands, the Yamaha THR-10 is going to sound great, and I'm looking forward to the recordings.

Thanks Cobalt! That's a very nice thing to say. :) I sure could use something to inspire me these days. Just got a Roland td9k2 drum (sent back the Alesis I had just bought) and this THR are gonna make me record stuff. Just teamed up with Riffy and Lobbie for two collabs. we're gonna have a ball. :thu:

• Members

THR10 is there. Fits nicely anywhere!

Nice sound for practicing with a BT. The volume jump between the clean channel and the higher gain ones is puzzling. It goes, like, from hard to hear to unbearably loud just by switching amp models. I wonder if this is normal. This week saw me getting nice gear for my tight music corner. Here's a pic of my brand new Roland td9k2 V-drum and the little guy beside it.

THR10androlandVdrum.jpg
Musiccorner.jpg

• Members

The volume jump between the clean channel and the higher gain ones is puzzling. It goes, like, from hard to hear to unbearably loud just by switching amp models. I wonder if this is normal.

I've seen a few comments on that now. I got one back in November when they were first released here in Europe and mine does not have this "issue". The channels are very nicely balanced. Weird indeed.

• Members

Am I the only one who thinks that, while they sound really cool, $299 is too much for something like this?

People pay more than that for a single pedal.

Also, consider the THR5 for $199 if you want to keep a $100 in your pocket.

• Members

THR10 is there. Fits nicely anywhere!

Nice sound for practicing with a BT. The volume jump between the clean channel and the higher gain ones is puzzling. It goes, like, from hard to hear to unbearably loud just by switching amp models. I wonder if this is normal. This week saw me getting nice gear for my tight music corner. Here's a pic of my brand new Roland td9k2 V-drum and the little guy beside it.

THR10androlandVdrum.jpg
Musiccorner.jpg

you went with v drums... cool... didn't dig the other kit?

• Members
you went with v drums... cool... didn't dig the other kit?

Hi Dave!

Yes, the Alesis kit was not responding the way I needed it for me to develop my drumming chops (well...). In particular the hi hat controler was useless. The mylar heads rested on a solid piece of foam so the feel wasn't that great. Cymbals had little dynamics (and the bell on the ride was nearly impossible to trigger, so small was the area that worked). Sounds were good and it hads TONS of them but I figured a ton of different sounds wasn't going to help me play better. :) This Roland kit cost twice as much though. Ouch! and I'm adding a crash to it next week. Do you still have your Roland drum kit? Which model was yours?

• Members

Hi Dave!

Yes, the Alesis kit was not responding the way I needed it for me to develop my drumming chops (well...). In particular the hi hat controler was useless. The mylar heads rested on a solid piece of foam so the feel wasn't that great. Cymbals had little dynamics (and the bell on the ride was nearly impossible to trigger, so small was the area that worked). Sounds were good and it hads TONS of them but I figured a ton of different sounds wasn't going to help me play better.
:)
This Roland kit cost twice as much though. Ouch! and I'm adding a crash to it next week. Do you still have your Roland drum kit? Which model was yours?

cool mate... hope it works out for you... mine is a td6 k somethin :)...mesh heads etc... i use it all the time but mostly to trigger bfd... i dug out my beat up old snare drum recently and i've been mic'ing that up to use with brushes which has been fun too

• Members
cool mate... hope it works out for you... mine is a td6 k somethin
:)
...mesh heads etc... i use it all the time but mostly to trigger bfd... i dug out my beat up old snare drum recently and i've been mic'ing that up to use with brushes which has been fun too

Yes, the brush is something my vdrum can't emulate and also the hihat can't be muted with the hand while played (it can be stopped but not muted and hit like is done with swing grooves. hard to describe with words) But it does a LOT. I'm really happy with it.

• Members

Did you try your drums through the THR? It has a keys channel, right? Just curious.

Also for your volume drop, I wonder if messing with the saved patches will fix that? I don't know a ton about these, maybe hooking up to a pc can help with that?

• Members

Did you try your drums through the THR? It has a keys channel, right? Just curious.

Also for your volume drop, I wonder if messing with the saved patches will fix that? I don't know a ton about these, maybe hooking up to a pc can help with that?

I wouldn't try it as a drum monitor with the signal direct from the module. that would be a bit much. And I have the mixer to record things direct.

• Members

Am I the only one who thinks that, while they sound really cool, $299 is too much for something like this?

Yeah, I agree. They look cool and all and I may actually end up getting one just for the sake of getting something new but I'm not seeing how these are really much different from something like a vox DA5 or a roland micro cube which sell for much less. There are plenty of little desktop modeling amps that run on batteries and have multiple amp models. This one looks more like a toaster than an amp so I guess that's cool but I'm not really sure how it's all that different from the other ones I mentioned.

• Members

Yeah, I agree. They look cool and all and I may actually end up getting one just for the sake of getting something new but I'm not seeing how these are really much different from something like a vox DA5 or a roland micro cube which sell for much less. There are plenty of little desktop modeling amps that run on batteries and have multiple amp models. This one looks more like a toaster than an amp so I guess that's cool but I'm not really sure how it's all that different from the other ones I mentioned.

You buy amps based on looks? How's that working out for you?

• Members

I own a Fender Vibro Champ XD, have owned a Vox AD15 and a Micro Cube, and have owned two Line 6 Pods, plus have a bunch of Guitar amp plug-ins. I realize this is highly subjective, but the Yamaha people are onto something a little different with the THR. Granted, a lot of us are still on the honeymoon phase but the tones are REALLY inspiring. Added bonus, the THR headphone tones are the best I've ever encountered, Real warm, no typical 'can' ice pickiness.

• Members

Hummm, they did resolve the power supply issue, I think with a redesigned power supply. Make sure your vendor has the newer models, info and part numbers are on line. I was ready to pull the trigger on this until I realized no ext. output. Couldn't Yamaha have put a line voltage out jack' , just saying. Then it would be a practice amp , interface and glorified stomp box. Add a microwave for heating left over pizza and i'm there! Still temtped, Yamaha makes gooood {censored}. I just bought a HT 1 , but might send it back because of AC hum, hummmmm

• 2 months later...

Archived