Need help deciding between the THR10 and THR5 (new owners or ABers please chip in)

Jkater

• Members

I've had my THR-10 for almost a week now and it's really great. Sounds amazing - the only time I realize that it's digital is when I read about it in a thread like this. There is no comparison to a Micro Cube. With the cube I get digital ear fatigue - not so with the Yamaha.

The trem sounds so good on this thing I wish they'd incorporate it into a pedal all it's own. Actually if they made a THR stompbox I'd be all over it.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Dammit, I'm going to be the last person on here to get one of these.

I actually read a couple of rather lukewarm reviews in the UK pubs about those things. I've been a total sucker for stuff like that over the years and I have a guest room full of relics that had their 15 minutes and then were relegated to the back of the couch, the guest room, and will eventually meet their fate in my dank basement. I hate selling stuff--used to love it but the net has changed and the auction sites make my blood run cold. Think I'll give my retired gear to a deserving school and take the tax write off.

• Members

I played a Baritone Tele through one, then a Dean Mississippi Queen ( the THR10) and was blown away. They are pricey for what they are, but effing amazing considering you can stash the damn thing about anywhere. Get it. (the 10)- In for a penny, in for a pound.

• Members

I actually read a couple of rather lukewarm reviews in the UK pubs about those things. I've been a total sucker for stuff like that over the years and I have a guest room full of relics that had their 15 minutes and then were relegated to the back of the couch, the guest room, and will eventually meet their fate in my dank basement. I hate selling stuff--used to love it but the net has changed and the auction sites make my blood run cold. Think I'll give my retired gear to a deserving school and take the tax write off.

I was first alerted about the THR 10 in an English pub and the reviewer was effusive in his praise. Go to your local Guitar Center and try one. In an apartment or anywhere where volume is an issue, the THR excels.

• Members

Yeah, I agree. They look cool and all and I may actually end up getting one just for the sake of getting something new but I'm not seeing how these are really much different from something like a vox DA5 or a roland micro cube which sell for much less. There are plenty of little desktop modeling amps that run on batteries and have multiple amp models. This one looks more like a toaster than an amp so I guess that's cool but I'm not really sure how it's all that different from the other ones I mentioned.

So I bought one. Now I see the difference! Actually, to be honest it is essentially a table top amp just like the DA5 and Roland Microcube but it does look cool and there are some pretty significant improvements over the other table top amps. It sounds infinitely better, the control knobs respond much more like those on a real amp, the modeling is light years ahead of the DA5 and MC, the USB interface and software are a great addition, the effects are much better, and it's overall a much more advanced product than the other ones I mentioned. And the hall reverb.....holy {censored}! The sound field it creates...just, wow!!!

I bought it on ebay as a scratch and dent for $240 but the only thing scratched or dented was a tiny little hole in the box it came in. The amp itself was pristine and I've actually bought brand new full price items that came in a more damaged box than this did. I've had it for a while now so I'm pretty sure the honeymoon phase is over and I'm still loving it.

Archived