Recommend me the perfect guitar for me.

xrleroyx

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'll have to give one a play. Not too into the looks of them, but I'm sure there's a few around that looks more traditional.

The Eclipse has more of a traditional look than the EC series, but either can be had with passive pickups - either a JB/59 set or Duncan Alnico II Pros. Extra jumbo frets, excellent craftsmanship.

• Members

If your only problem with a 335 is that it's out of your price range, and you have multiple guitars and you've already had LPs, then isn't the natural thing to just go all in on a 335 to end it all?

Nothing's going to stop your 335 desires, yo. Only a 335 will, and then you'll know whether it actually was your perfect guitar or not. Isn't it worth it to find out, rather than skirt the issue?

• Members

I used to manage an artist who was exactly like your description (you can find his stuff 'around' under the old band name Pie, or the Richard Bitch, or his bedroom projects as Simp). I also used to be around J. Mascis during his "alt rock radio God" days .... much of it recorded at Fort Apache, where many of my friends worked and where some of my projects were sent.

You want a Jazzmaster. You're just picky about the 'right one,' and honestly: they're finicky {censored}ers, aren't they? He used to cycle through guitars, too - in fact, he has a blog about just that. He went through a Mosrite phase, currently in a (bizarre and troubling) Flying V phase ... but his current #1 is a Telemaster; a sort of combination parts build/mod of a JM and Tele hybrid.

Why don't you do the same? Or, start shopping JM's, hard. Hollowbodies will enthrall you for 4 months and then you'll get annoyed at not being able to turn way up and start over again.

BTW, I am SHOCKED that St. Blues is $2,500!!! There's one at my local Music Go Round for $500, except there's a huge chip on the headstock (like 2 x 3 inches; most of the paint). It was intriguing.

The Music Man recommendation was good, though I doubt that's the one for you. Nice guitars, though.

Nope, you're looking for a JM through a Marshall, it's ok, accept who you are and be glad it's so tasteful.

• Members

If you're looking for a vintage ES-335 at a good price, the Gibson ES-347 is a good bet. There are ones out there on e*ay for ~$2500. They've got coil tapping as well and the tones are quite usable either way.

If you are looking for much cheaper, the Epi Sheraton is a very similar guitar to the 335 for much less coin.

• Members

You want a Jazzmaster. You're just picky about the 'right one,' and honestly: they're finicky {censored}ers, aren't they? He used to cycle through guitars, too - in fact, he has a blog about just that. He went through a Mosrite phase, currently in a (bizarre and troubling) Flying V phase ... but his current #1 is a Telemaster; a sort of combination parts build/mod of a JM and Tele hybrid.

There might be something to that. As much as I love Fender Mustangs, it wasn't until the fourth one that I found the one, one that felt, sounded, and looked perfect. So I had to spend some serious money to get it, but what's a little dough for a perfect guitar? I've modified the wiring and have a Mastery Bridge on it and really I feel like it's my signature guitar now.

Try some high end Jazzmasters, most models don't really do justice to the AVRI models, except some good MIJ examples. If you find a Jazz with the perfect body and neck, modify it until the rest of it is perfect. It may take some money and time and effort to get there but many players heavily associated with Jazzmasters are just as known for the modifications they've performed to theirs.

• Members

PRS. take your pick of the aforementioned DGT, Mira, or the SC58 (or the Stripped version).

There are so many options to be had with the PRS line. I had a black swamp ash special that sounded pretty good, but the bridge HB went microphonic. I found the neck to be a little unwieldy. What're some of the options?

You guys might be right about the JM. I'm playing my parts-jazzblaster and its

• Members

Don't know if you ever tried any of these:

- '72 tele custom. AVri or an actual 70s one.

- Upgraded epi sheraton/riviera, or some other mid-priced decent 335 type. Tokai ES60 comes to mind as well, and those 80s ibanez ones seem to have a great reputation too.

I'm a big jazzmaster fan btw...What was it exactly you didn't like about the one you tried?

Anyway, picking an electric guitar without knowing which type you prefer isn't all that hard impo. There's a handful of criteria that could narrow it down, other than your budget...Neck profile, fret size, solid vs (semi)hollow body, hb vs sc, set neck vs bolt-on, aesthetic preferences,...

• Members

I remember you said you wanted a Petrucci sig model right? Have you tried one? Piezo, comfy shape and they look sick. Not sure about the versatility of the pickups.

I can't find one with the piezo in my area, although that would be really nice to check out.