Recommend me the perfect guitar for me.

xrleroyx

• Members

I already own a strat. I don't need another one. I've gone through a million guitars, and I really want to find one that I want to keep forever. Let's just put a budget cap of $2,500 (what I could get after selling some gear).

I like the sound of Les Pauls, but the neck heel makes playing higher noted difficult.

I like 335's, but they're a little out of my price range I think.

I like Jazzmasters, but I haven't bonded with any of them I've owned. I haven't owned an AVRI.

Tele's are cool, but I don't twang.

Not sure if I dig short-scale.

I own a 68 SG special, but they seem really fragile.

Most of you know what kind of music I play.

What're some suggestions? And by suggestions, I don't mean "go to the music store and play a million guitars"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
  • Members

If you like 335s but think the Gibson would be to expensive (last I checked, they start at about $3K), two good options I can vouch for:

1) Heritage H535 - if you're not familiar with the backstory, Gibson moved its operations from Kalamazoo to Nashville in the 80s, a bunch of the Gibson workers stayed in Kalamazoo, bought the old Gibson factory, and stated making Heritages. I'm actually not quite sure where new prices are running these days, but nice examples move on the used market from $1200-$1500. I'm very happy with mine and consider it very much the equal of a Gibson.

IMG_0208.jpg

2) Hamer Newport. This isn't as much of a straight up 335 copy as the Heritage, but a great guitar in its own right. The body is a bit smaller. Hamer's build quality is some of the best out there. Unfortunately, since Fender bought them, I've heard they're only doing custom orders and no regular production runs, but some dealers may have remaining stock. I've seen a few on the used market recently priced at $1000-$1200 which is an absolute STEAL given the quality of the guitar. They were still a steal even at $2500 new.

Hamer4c.jpg

• Members

So it sounds like you want nice fat LP tone one a more comfortable, longer scale guitar...

2012-06-15_14-49-28_325.jpg

Don't be fooled by the shredder stigma. I play surf, reggae, and punk rock with mine. You could buy a new Japan one, a used USA one, and still have enough to buy a sack of weed, a case of good beer, a tank of gas, and a steak dinner. ;-)

• Members

If you've gone through many guitars already you should have a good idea.

But I don't. I just keep flipping things because there's something about each of them that rubs me the wrong way. I have no idea about radii, necks, scale lengths or pickup polarity. I'm more of a player. I should probably learn that stuff though..

• Members

I like them, but I'd spend a max of $350 on them. People are asking astronomical prices

Haha yeah very true. It seems like as soon as Jack White and bands like the Black Keys got popular everyone wanted those old cheapies. At the end of the day they're still cheap guitars but I've found a lot of them fun to play nonetheless

• Members

i recommend you look into the PRS DGT model. they have a number of different available finish options; from very understated all the way up to very bling. here's why i recommend it:

it can definitely do gibson (LP, 335) tones, but also has a lot of its own thing going on that should allow you to find your own sound(s)

the pickups are coil-tapped, and are the best tapped pickups i've ever heard- no signal loss and very nice single-coil sounds. the humbucker "mode" is amazing as well.

the neck is very comfortable if you like a slightly chunkier neck that isn't too chunky.

it has a really nice trem system that is there when you want it, and unintrusive when you don't.

it fits in with your style perfectly.

you can find a used one for your budget (or less if you are patient)

it will hold its resale value if you don't end up bonding with it, but it's got some serious vibe to it that you won't want to part with.

here's mine (you might prefer something a little more subdued- PRS makes them with dot necks as well, and solid colors if you aren't into figured tops).

w11PRS_DGT-001.jpg

• Members

Not sure if serious or trolling.

I don't know too much about them. School me?

Not trolling. Serious as a heart attack.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/esp-standard/eclipse2-series.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-standard-series-eclipse-ii

You could save a little cash and get one of these - easily one of the best guitars I have ever owned:

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/ec-1000fm.html

• Members

for those of us who are not aware - what kind of music do you play?

at the budget you describe, perhaps you are headed for a custom build?

also, steak dinners are $4 in OK.

I'm a jazz student who fronts an indie rock band. Think The Arctic Monkeys and John Frusciante had a 3-way with J. Mascis.