New to PRS guitars. Which are the best?

rlm297

• Members

I'm looking to buy my first PRS and would like to know what the most rock and roll/baller/top of the line ones are in the $2200 - $2800 price range.

I'm going the eBay route, so if someone who knows Paul Reed Smith guitars can share some links of used models (the top contenders in that price range) with me, that'd help me make an informed decision.

In particular, I'm interested in a PRS that will put other guitars to shame.

I don't know which years the good ones were made, which will hold their value or which to stay away from. Any insight would help me out.

• Members

You'll want a "10 top" and bird inlays at least. Really though, if you want a show stopper, you're looking at Artist grade. Search for PRS Artist and see what you find. Compare other guitars to those.

Which model? Up to you. Custom 22 or 24 is kinda the "standard" in my mind. (no, not the "Standard" model). There's cheaper models (CE, Mira, etc) and more expensive (hollowbody, etc), but the Custom 22 or 24 is what other upper models seem to be based on (Dragons, P22, 513, etc).

I'm no expert though - but look around eBay, look at the Artist grade models and see what you like.

• Members

Plus, if you're going to spend that much, wouldn't you want to play it first?

PRS guitars in general, IMO, have a very different feel.....even the SEs........when compared to a Fender or Gibson.

This is why I think they're a love/hate guitar. Some dig it, some hate it.

• Members

There are no good and bad years for PRS. Also don't let anybody tell you that the "pre-factory" models are best. PRS has always made very high quality guitars. Whether or not you like the feel and tone is a different argument.

Now that we've got that out of the way the rest is up to you. Do you want a trem or stop tail? 22 or 24 frets. Which pickup configuration do you prefer? Thin or thick neck? Do you want to spend extra $$ for a 10 top?

You get the point.

Like others have said, you really need to spend some time with one or many. They do have their own feel which I personally think is glorious. :D Yes I am a PRS fanboy.

• Members

Go to a store and play the guitars. Find the style you like. Then go buy one of that model.

That's so crazy it just might work.

Yeah, pick your model, and then pick the top/color you'd like, and you're all set. If you want baller, that's private stock, and that ain't happenin in your price range. But you can find a really sweet guitar for the amount you want to spend.

And yep, don't worry about pre-factory. It's all good.

• Members

Baller?

I must be getting old...

Here's the deal with "I want a PRS; which is best?":

They're WAY different. It's a bit like saying "I want an expensive guitar; which is best?"

PRS has made a LOT of different sorts of instruments through the years. My personal favorites are the Hollowbody guitars, followed by Swamp Ash Specials, Singlecut 245s and the new Studio Narrowfield. Your tastes are probably different than mine.

It sounds like you don't want to hear this, but it's true: with PRS you gotta play 'em to figure out which is best for you. Most of 'em are nigh-on perfect for what they're aiming for, but what a particular model does is not always readily apparent. Of course, they're still made of wood, so each is going to have some degree of variation.

Here's my PRS Story:

In my senior year of high school PRS released the Hollowbody series. It immediately became my unobtainable lust object. several years later I had the chance to play a Custom 24, and hated it. A couple years after that I had the opportunity, with some trepidation from my Custom experience,to play a Hollowbody II. THAT one I fell in love with. 2006 I bought my very own Hollowbody Spruce with piezo on eBay. It was everything I imagined it could be; which is to say, nothing at all like a Custom 24. It plays and sound very close to my memories of the Hollowbody II with none of the flash (thankfully). The End.

A pic of my plain-jane lover:

DSC00257.jpg

• Members

As mentioned above, there are enough differences between models that you really need to play a few to get a feel for what you like. Willcutt's in Lexington, KY, is the biggest PRS dealer in the country and has all of their stuff (new and used) nicely photographed and displayed on their site. Other dealers worth checking out include Wild West Guitars, Garrett Park Guitars and Elderly's, amongst others. I had a Custom 24 once upon a time, but prefer my Standard 22:

DSCF2585.jpg

Happy shopping.

• Members

PRS makes so many different types of guitars with at least 4 different necks (Pattern, Wide-Fat, Wide Thin, etc.) that you really need to try a bunch out and see which one works for you. The big advantage is that there are no bad years for PRS and I've heard their newest models are an improvement over previous years. I've never tried a PRS I didn't like.

• Members

OK, I got a PRS CU22 and it's the best feeling (and sounding) guitar I have ever owned, people will always knock them (usually people who don't own one) and that's their prerogative; but don't let that put you off. They are great guitars and very well constructed and the necks always feel nice (to me anyway).

If you are looking for something that looks like this:-

2652.jpg

Or this:-

ps-427-top.jpg

or this:-

PS1060a.jpg

Then, I'm afraid, you will be looking at PRS's Private Stock guitars that will cost a bit more than your budget will allow.

Having said all that, you can get a very nice (10) top on a standard production model if you look around, mine is a 10 top with birds and a trem and it's in Scarlet Burst flame Maple (a very light burst on the edges not the usual very dark to black burst like on some). I've seen worse looking flame Maple on a few P.Stock guitars.

Look around and don't buy the first one that comes along.

Cheers

J_N.

Archived