What do you think? $200 Peavey Reactor

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

What do you think?

It's in played condition, probably 6-7/10 cosmetic.

Has a middle pickup, and 3 tone controls.

Not sure if the pickups are stock or not?

While being played, the frets and neck looked good.

The setup was horendous, and I gave no idea if the truss works.

I love the Peavey USA made basses, so this appeals to me.

What do you think?

• Members

The headstocks don't look "terrible", but they still annoy me....Other than that go for it :thu:

I would check the truss rod, and at least adjust the action somewhat to your tastes (most people should be comfortable with you adjusting the action a little bit).

• Members

Well, I have one that's still in pretty good shape (although it suffered a few dings when I left it behind for a while with an ex-gf after our break-up - I figured her new BFs probably dinged her then my guitar as well) but it's really still in pretty good shape and I wouldn't want to part with mine for much less than that. IIRC, mine was about $230 out the door new. But you don't find many USA guitars these days at that price so I think eventually they might become more collectible. I believe one strat model may have used some laminate wood, but the Reactor used solid wood fer sher. About the only negative that guitar had (for a cheapie) was chunky tuners.

Reactor.jpg

Depending upon the condition, I'd say that $200's okay, but since they aren't selling for a mint and you say its got it fair share of wear and tear, see if you can get it in the $165 to $180 range. But if you like its tone, I wouldn't walk away from it for that price. Of that era, they were far superior to a Squier and yet priced about the same or even a hair less. Squiers of the early 90s used laminate bodies and had top loading bridges (plus they were imports of course) whereas the Peavey still is string thru with ferules.

• Members

I can set it up once I get it home, and they have a return policy.

I don't really want to walk in there with a toolbox.
:freak:

Plus they get a little weird when you start wrenching on their inventory.

Wasn't sure if this is a CL buy or a store.

Also, the more you ask about the guitar, the more you can get the price down a bit by noticing little flaws like all used guitars usually have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ended up picking it up today for a reduced price.

b63a1b33.jpg

77e7c95e.jpg

597a3b4d.jpg

The body is a little beat up on the bottom back side, but the rest is in pretty good shape.

Upgraded to Grover tuners.

the route for the middle pickup was even done fairly well.

I think the middle pickup is a bridge pickup and is pretty hot. Sounds good though.

Not a fan of the bridge and neck pickups......Bridge is thin, and the neck is dark.

Might try some noiseless pickups instead.

Spent a few hours cleaning it, shielding the cavities, rewiring it, setting it up.........plays really well and sounds great.

The previous owner didn't have the 5-way switch wired up, and all of the pickups were on all of the time........one knob did nothing, one knob sounded like it put it in and out of phase, and the other was a tone control.

Threw all of that out. :freak:

Wired it like a Strat with vol/tone/tone. nice.

I'll probably be taking this on tour, if I can get the pickups replaced by Friday.

It's kind of a mutt. :lol:

QUESTION: Did Peavey make a Strat copy in a similar style, with a similar neck? EDIT: Predator :love:

Archived