Pee Are Esses.

Jakey

• Members

So, I've now lived with a very sexy Custom 24 with trem, lovely flame, for a month. It's so light it needs to be tethered down to prevent it being blown away, and so fast it gets speeding tickets.

However, it has all the character of a brick. It doesn't offer anything SPECIAL.

It is the guitar equiv of a BMW. So many things right, and performance that ticks every box but none of them with a bold tick, and just like a Bimmer, absolutely zero personality .

I picked it up tonight, played it for 10 secs, frowned, put it down and grabbed an old strat and smiled again......it was that simple. I guess the thing is, it needs more fight. My strats and others fight hard which is how my fingers are (heavy). The PRS does not. It's too easy to play......and therein I lose tone thru how I'm playing.....It's like the BMW is also an Auto!

So, I just don't get them.

For sale add going up soon.

• Members

The PRS requires you to create the music where the strat has so much history you just have to hold it

I know what you mean - the PRS is extremely easy to play and has a good variety of crystal clear sounds available to the player but it will not do it for you

• Members

So, I've now lived with a very sexy Custom 24 with trem, lovely flame, for a month. It's so light it needs to be tethered down to prevent it being blown away, and so fast it gets speeding tickets.

However, it has all the character of a brick. It doesn't offer anything SPECIAL.

It is the guitar equiv of a BMW. So many things right, and performance that ticks every box but none of them with a bold tick, and just like a Bimmer, absolutely zero personality .

I picked it up tonight, played it for 10 secs, frowned, put it down and grabbed an old strat and smiled again......it was that simple. I guess the thing is, it needs more fight. My strats and others fight hard which is how my fingers are (heavy). The PRS does not. It's too easy to play......and therein I lose tone thru how I'm playing.....It's like the BMW is also an Auto!

The thing about PRS's are they are tools to make your own sound, don't expect them to sound like any other guitar you own. A good friend of mine picked up a magnificent McCarty Corina that sounded amazing, but being a strat/les paul player all his life, he came to expect a sound like them he just couldn't find in the PRS. He ended up frustrated with it and sold it as well.

• Members

I usually play a Parker, and sometimes get that feeling about an LP or Strat. What it all boils down to if I analyze it is just that there's very little friction on the Parker. I mean, let's face it, there is no guitar that has any character, they're all just wood, metal and plastic.

• Members

Do yours have the 59/09 pickups? I've heard A LOT of good things about them. I have a '91 PRS Artist. The pickups have a 'modern' (even now, some 20 years later) vibe to them. I liked them then, i prefer classic PAFs now. PRS is offering the 53/10 ( and the 59/09, both PAF voiced) now which is a brighter, less output pickup than the 59/09. $400 a set prevents me from pulling the trigger.

• Members

I owned a beautiful PRS Custom 22 for a couple years and came to the same conclusion-----it didn't make me fight enough. I sold it because of the need to put away some reserve cash when it became obvious the recession wasn't going anywhere.....but I eventually would have sold it anyway. My favorite guitar to play is probably my Tele because it doesn't play itself and it sounds.....crude. :D

• Members

i really like the PRS guitars i've played and never found them to be lifeless or stiff, personally. the only PRS guitars i didn't click with had the "regular" neck carve- just didn't feel that great in comparison to the wide-fat or wide thin. YMMV. My all-time favorite PRS is a three-way tie between the McCarty, the Modern Eagle (with 59/09 pickups) and the DGT. I gigged a '00 McCarty pretty hard for a while along side a Gibson LP Standard and it totally held its own.

there's so much that the player brings to an instrument in terms of technique (or lack thereof), feel, phrasing. Seems difficult to understand why something as technically flawless as a PRS could fail to deliver as a medium, but i guess it's possible.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with not liking a guitar, but...

...I really don't understand why some people say they need to "fight" their guitars. Is it because if your guitar is easy to play, you lose street cred? It just doesn't make any sense to me. If I had to fight a guitar to play, that would be the one for sale. I mean, if you're intent on fighting your instrument, then you should just put .013s on your guitars and proceed to try to bend your notes up three steps. Raise the action up extra high for good measure. There's a fight for ya.

• Members

observation: i sold every guitar that i fought to play. except for the les paul. i can't sell a ales paul because everybody has a lester. if not for this i would sell it too. it's my opinion that good instrument is the one that inspires / makes you play beyond your regulat abilities

advice 1: what's the amp you play?

advice 2: it might be the humbuckers vs single coil thing.

• Members

I have a very nice sounding CE22 with flame maple top, bird poop inlay, original Dragon p'ups etc. Sounds, plays great.

But for some reason I don't pick it up very often either. I kinda get what you're sayin in the OP.

OTOH, it ain't goin nowhere. ;)

Archived