That Rory Gallagher Strat

honeyiscool

• Members

I've seen many examples of 60s Strats but do you actually believe the line they say about the wear on that thing being entirely caused by play and not by abuse?

800px-Drnxh_RG_SC1961.jpg

I mean, maybe it wasn't an active act of abuse but doesn't it sorta look like it was left out of cases and dragged and knocked around more than a normal guitar gets? Just saying...

• Members

The wear on this guitar is a product of two factors: 1) the literally thousands of hours of play. Rory owned a collection of guitars but most often played this strat and to a far lesser degree his white Tele for slide work and an acoustic. 2) it was stolen and left out in the cold in a ditch under pouring rain for 3 days.

This was Rory's first strat, it was the first one that made it to Ireland. He bought it second hand when he was still playing in show bands - before he joined Taste in 1966.

• Members

I don't know about "the" Rory strat, but I did play a custom shop replica of it, it was easily one of the nicest playing strats I've ever had my hands on.

EDIT: here it is

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratRGTrib?utm_source=none&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CL3v9bXh-7ACFYio4Aod33bWmg

So did I. It was one of those guitars that makes you think, "You know, maybe I could live on ramen noodles for the next 6 months!" It was that good. :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Some people do have very acidic sweat. Also Rory played that guitar every night from the late 60's to 1994, and he was a total road warrior. Given that combination, it's not surprising that guitar would look the way it did.

• Members

I saw Rory play many times over many years, he sweated buckets and gigged hundreds of times a year. Us oldies actually watched its finish deteriorate slowly, and it's pretty well documented in photos over four decades.

It's definitely natural wear, in fact I asked him in Bristol in '82 about the fact that it seemed to have a different neck on it. The neck swap was temporary due to a refret, but Rory was concerned that the body deterioration was starting to accelerate and he was getting occasional pickup shorting.

I've heard many people over the years suggest that he knocked it about deliberately to make it look cooler, but actually the opposite is true and he was worried it would end up unplayable.

Sadly it ended up outliving him.

• Members

So did I. It was one of those guitars that makes you think, "You know, maybe I could live on ramen noodles for the next 6 months!" It was that good.
:love:

hmmmm.... funny, I had that thought at as well!

• Members

The wear on this guitar is a product of two factors: 1) the literally thousands of hours of play. Rory owned a collection of guitars but most often played this strat and to a far lesser degree his white Tele for slide work and an acoustic. 2) it was stolen and left out in the cold in a ditch under pouring rain for 3 days.

This was Rory's first strat, it was the first one that made it to Ireland. He bought it second hand when he was still playing in show bands - before he joined Taste in 1966.

Correct answer.

It is probably also worth adding that Ireland has a very very damp climate.

• Members

I don't know about "the" Rory strat, but I did play a custom shop replica of it, it was easily one of the nicest playing strats I've ever had my hands on.

best strat ever imo... it will be mine one day

• Members

best strat ever imo... it will be mine one day

I'll tell ya man, I used to say that about the SRV sig strat, and one day, it was/is mine.

That rory strat though, plays sooooo nice. Maybe one day...

• Members

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratRGTrib?utm_source=none&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CL3v9bXh-7ACFYio4Aod33bWmg

As a huge Rory fan, I have one and yes it's a pretty good strat indeed :) .

Archived