What does the word "quality" mean to you when talking about gear?

grunge782

• Members

I recommend reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' for a true understanding of the meaning of quality. In essence, quality is found in the interaction between subject and object; it is not inherent in the object itself.

• Members

I recommend reading 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' for a true understanding of the meaning of quality. In essence, quality is found in the interaction between subject and object; it is not inherent in the object itself.

Well...that's HIS definition of quality. A definition he created based on an interest in east Asian philosophy and an assumption that it is a "better" way to look at the world than the western way of subjective and objective.

That's not a universal truth, and while I think many of his ideas are very interesting and thought provoking....I don't necessarily think he's correct at least in terms of looking at the make up of a physical object. Now...his arguments applied to creative pursuits such as music itself...I do agree with much of his philosophy.

• Members

Well...that's HIS definition of quality. A definition he created based on an interest in east Asian philosophy and an assumption that it is a "better" way to look at the world than the western way of subjective and objective.

That's not a universal truth, and while I think many of his ideas are very interesting and thought provoking....I don't necessarily think he's correct at least in terms of looking at the make up of a physical object. Now...his arguments applied to creative pursuits such as music itself...I do agree with much of his philosophy.

I don't think it is particularly Asian or very philosophical to accept that different people have different ideas of quality based on their different values.

• Members

To me, quality is the execution of the design:

-Use of the best possible materials (wood, metal, finish type) to ensure function and sound

-No flaws in the workmanship

Design itself is a separate concept. Certain features and details are associated with high-end guitars (say fancy inlays and a super sculpted neck joint), but you could strip those "extras" out and still be left with the underlying quality.

Quality is important on different levels. Wood and materials are absolutely critical. Fretwork and setup are critical. These are aspects to quality must be achieved.

However, I've run into some fairly high priced guitars that are less than perfect from a "quality" standpoint in terms of final finish (a file mark on the neck, misaligned screw, small finish flaws, etc), but have sounded fantastic and played extremely well. These are the kind of flaws that could rightfully irk someone buying an expensive guitar, but in many cases they are ultimately inconsequential and don't affect the sound or feel of the guitar. You would absolutely take that guitar over one that was finished to absolutely perfection but had no tone or vibe. Sometimes you have to overlook smaller quality defects like those to get the "big picture" of a great guitar.

• Members

I don't think it is particularly Asian or very philosophical to accept that different people have different ideas of quality based on their different values.

Perhaps not...just saying Pirsig developed his ideas after living in Asia and looking into eastern philosophy.

• Members

:confused:

Try a neck-through body. Then neck is usually difficult to bend, and feels solid. You could smash it against a wall, and chances are, it won't break off the guitar (Unless it snaps in half). Meanwhile, I have played Fenders, Squiers, and other bolt-on neck instruments that, even with the neck screwed in securely, it doesn't feel secure. I own a Jazzmaster that has an incredibly strong neck, though. I have a Squier '51 that isn't the same story. My main guitar, a Gibson SG, often scares me, because I don't always feel that the neck is secure.

I'm never worried about bodies, because they're solid pieces of wood. One of the strongest bodies I own is from a Squier Tele, which is basically just a big block. I'm never worried about electronics, because they can be easily replaced.

• Members

Try a neck-through body. Then neck is usually difficult to bend, and feels solid. You could smash it against a wall, and chances are, it won't break off the guitar (Unless it snaps in half). Meanwhile, I have played Fenders, Squiers, and other bolt-on neck instruments that, even with the neck screwed in securely, it doesn't feel secure. I own a Jazzmaster that has an incredibly strong neck, though. I have a Squier '51 that isn't the same story. My main guitar, a Gibson SG, often scares me, because I don't always feel that the neck is secure.

I'm never worried about bodies, because they're solid pieces of wood. One of the strongest bodies I own is from a Squier Tele, which is basically just a big block. I'm never worried about electronics, because they can be easily replaced.

I think you're playing it wrong.

• Members

It's all about stability for me. I hate guitars that don't hold a setup. Or some little annoying thing that it does that I can fix but eventually comes back. Of course, I want it to be in good shape when it's stable. But I can work around alot. I like guitars with personality. I think super high end guitars tend to be sort of bland. They refined all the stank out of them. But if I have a guitar that plays good one day and not another day, then i end up hating it. Eventually, I'll do some real damage to it trying to fix it. I'd just rather it be consistently mediocre than awesome one day and {censored}ty another.

• Members

The obvious - nothing seems like it's going to break, it stays in tune and it's not a huge chore to get set up properly, and it sounds good. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I know the quality of a guitar's body wood underneath a coat of non-translucent paint.

Archived