I've Become An Offset Junkie ... The Curse Of Django!

Doctor Morbius

• Members

^^ Funny thing is with me, I've found over the many GAS years, that I'm more fond of the look than actually playing them. Maybe part of it is the setups which can be more of a hassle (like removing the neck for a truss rod adj.). But so far I've picked up a Squier Duo Sonic, AVRI Jag, Jag HH, MIJ Jazz, Costello Jazz and that Jag Baritone Custom so I am definitely drawn to them. But it's probably my laziness. Thoughts of set-up issues, fixes, or mods are often overcasting them at least some of the time. I just need to get 'em done and get into rocking them as was the original intent.

• Members
^^ Funny thing is with me, I've found over the many GAS years, that I'm more fond of the look than actually playing them. Maybe part of it is the setups which can be more of a hassle (like removing the neck for a truss rod adj.). But so far I've picked up a Squier Duo Sonic, AVRI Jag, Jag HH, MIJ Jazz, Costello Jazz and that Jag Baritone Custom so I am definitely drawn to them. But it's probably my laziness. Thoughts of set-up issues, fixes, or mods are often overcasting them at least some of the time. I just need to get 'em done and get into rocking them as was the original intent.

I my case the problem with them has been the radius and fret size. I know there are people out there who love the old specs, but I find necks that have them virtually unplayable. That's one reason I'm drawn to the Thin Skins as they have 9.5" radius necks and narrow jumbo 6105 Dunlop frets. My 2 Jazzies have Warmoth necks with a compound radius, 42.85 mm nut widths and larger frets. Makes all the difference in the world, IMO.

• Members

I my case the problem with them has been the radius and fret size. I know there are people out there who love the old specs, but I find necks that have them virtually unplayable. That's one reason I'm drawn to the Thin Skins as they have 9.5" radius necks and narrow jumbo 6105 Dunlop frets. My 2 Jazzies have Warmoth necks with a compound radius,
42.85" nut widths
and larger frets. Makes all the difference in the world, IMO.

Man, you have big nuts!

• Members

:lol:
I guess I meant mm and not inches.
:eek:

I like the Jazzmasters in your Avatar. What's the story on those?

Thanks for asking, Doc:) The JM on the left is an AVRI thin skin, in Ocean Turquoise Metallic. The sonic blue JM is a Mark Jenny body and a Warmoth fat neck. Like you, I have the offset fever:) Beautiful Jag. I like shell pink!

• Members

Thanks for asking, Doc:) The JM on the left is an AVRI thin skin, in Ocean Turquoise Metallic. The sonic blue JM is a Mark Jenny body and a Warmoth fat neck. Like you, I have the offset fever:) Beautiful Jag. I like shell pink!

Mmmmmmm, Ocean Turquoise Metallic. Fender should NEVER have discontinued that color, IMO. The fact that it's a thin skin just makes it that much better too. The MJT Jazzy is nice as well.

drooling_homer.gif%3Fw%3D314%26h%3D360

• Members

Well, the Shell Pink thin skin Jaguar arrived Tuesday afternoon. I'm not 100% happy with it. In addition to a crack in the finish around the neck pocket, which I was told about, there are finish flaws in the nitro finish on the back of the neck around frets 1 and 2.

Also, there is overspray down the entire length of the rosewood fretboard on the low-E side. Not much, but it's there.

Also, getting it setup with heavier gauge strings was a bitch. The neck pocket was so snug (normally a good thing) it took the extra German muscle of Cratz2 to pull on the neck while I tightened the neck plate screws. Without help there is no way I could have gotten the neck on straight.

Had I not replaced the stock bridge with a Warmoth Modified Mustang Bridge, I never would have noticed the neck wasn't straight. I would have simply moved the strings over the poles of the neck pickup and let it go at that.

The trem bar is extremely difficult to put in and take out, but I'm sure that's an easy fix. :idk:

I've sent an email to Dave's Guitars. Not sure what to expect.

Archived