Is this site moving slower than fudge for everyone here?

GAS Man

• Members

I'll say this knowing it will be a terribly unpopular sentiment... But certain threads with 200,000+ posts drag server load WAAAAAAAAAAY down and don't help matters. There are too many "immortal" threads that this place won't let die.

I've wondered about that. Like most of us may just drop off from the slow pace here these days at HCEG, but those 2 threads will continue to grow consuming all remaining matter in their paths. :eek:

• Members

I'll say this knowing it will be a terribly unpopular sentiment... But certain threads with 200,000+ posts drag server load WAAAAAAAAAAY down and don't help matters. There are too many "immortal" threads that this place won't let die.

Why would those cause increased server load? What's the difference to the server between 1 thread with 200,000 posts versus 10 threads with 20,000 posts? You are still only loading a page at a time.

Just asking.

• Members

Why would those cause increased server load? What's the difference to the server between 1 thread with 200,000 posts versus 10 threads with 20,000 posts? You are still only loading a page at a time.

Just asking.

I'm not 100%, but I'm almost sure that threads self-lock and get deleted over a certain period of inactivity. I don't know how HCEG has it's settings for such things... But that 200,000 post thread is still alive and kicking and all the pages with any pictures uploaded/linked are still on the server, being accessed all the time.

I say this because another vBulletin based board I frequent figured the same, and now if any given thread hits 1000 posts, it's locked by the mods and another thread is opened to continue the topic of conversation. Those locked 1000 post threads just eventually fade and get deleted.

• Members

I'm not 100%, but I'm almost sure that threads self-lock and get deleted over a certain period of inactivity. I don't know how HCEG has it's settings for such things... But that 200,000 post thread is still alive and kicking and all the pages with any pictures uploaded/linked are still on the server, being accessed all the time.

I say this because another vBulletin based board I frequent figured the same, and now if any given thread hits 1000 posts, it's locked by the mods and another thread is opened to continue the topic of conversation. Those locked 1000 post threads just eventually fade and get deleted.

The load should only be caused by page views and a lot of the images are hosted someplace else but linked to a post. I think it is more of a traffic related issue. Kind of a catch 22. Do you want the traffic, or do you want the forum to run fast? Could also be a server or bandwidth issue.

I am sure this thing flies at 3 AM. Pages are loading as fast as I have seen them load right now.

• Members

The load should only be caused by page views and a lot of the images are hosted someplace else but linked to a post. I think it is more of a traffic related issue. Kind of a catch 22. Do you want the traffic, or do you want the forum to run fast? Could also be a server or bandwidth issue.

I am sure this thing flies at 3 AM. Pages are loading as fast as I have seen them load right now.

Yeah I understand the links to images have no real bearing on HC's servers.

You could very well be right. I just figured whether or not the pages/posts are being viewed or not, they're there and they're stored. But I'm not pretending to be a techy, I really don't know haha.

I work early mornings so sometimes when I have some time I surf HC on my iPhone... This is usually 6AM-ish EST, and I will say that it can be just as slow as peak times. But it is a popular forum so the main culprit is probably traffic.

• Members

But it is a popular forum so the main culprit is probably traffic.

But it used to be more popular, the posts and new threads were coming in fast so you could see your thread sink to page 2 in a couple hours if no one kept it alive, and it used to be more stable. I think that indeed, somehow the data or hyper-link weight it's carrying has to have increased, because it's sure slower and more gimpy.

• Members

Yeah I understand the links to images have no real bearing on HC's servers.

You could very well be right. I just figured whether or not the pages/posts are being viewed or not, they're there and they're stored. But I'm not pretending to be a techy, I really don't know haha.

I work early mornings so sometimes when I have some time I surf HC on my iPhone... This is usually 6AM-ish EST, and I will say that it can be just as slow as peak times. But it is a popular forum so the main culprit is probably traffic.

No doubt actual storage space could be an issue when you start talking about swap partitions and database size. All depends on how much "archive" info they want to keep.

• Members

But it used to be more popular, the posts and new threads were coming in fast so you could see your thread sink to page 2 in a couple hours if no one kept it alive, and it used to be more stable. I think that indeed, somehow the data or hyper-link weight it's carrying has to have increased, because it's sure slower and more gimpy.

Haha yeah, you're right about your thread sinking fast before. I still think having 5 year old 200k+ post threads kicking around doesn't help.

• Members

The hyperlinks to images on another server and to Youtube shouldn't matter. The HC server is not storing those images or videos. It's a client-server deal. The load for those would be on the, for example, Youtube server and your computer (client).

Is it less popular now, or have categories been added so things are split up more to the general interest?

As I mentioned before, the actual storage space can be a factor.

• Members

i have no doubt at all that the right people could have this place running smoothly

Sometimes I really think they have blown it. I mean, I don't want to sound like an old man with a "big fish" story, but this place did use to hum along with more active members, posts, threads and just sheer velocity before all their system issues became chronically disruptive. Maybe the cyber-world has changed and folks are doing more Facebook games or texting, or the forum is becoming a bit passe', but despite the assumed cost of maintaining the site, there's many of us here who would testify that this community has caused us to buy a lot of {censored} we don't need. So it's been a great ad campaign for the MF/GC conglomerate, so I guess it puzzles me why they haven't stabilized it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GAS Man

View Post

Sometimes I really think they have blown it. I mean, I don't want to sound like an old man with a "big fish" story, but this place did use to hum along with more active members, posts, threads and just sheer velocity before all their system issues became chronically disruptive. Maybe the cyber-world has changed and folks are doing more Facebook games or texting, or the forum is becoming a bit passe', but despite the assumed cost of maintaining the site, there's many of us here who would testify that this community has caused us to buy a lot of {censored} we don't need. So it's been a great ad campaign for the MF/GC conglomerate, so I guess it puzzles me why they haven't stabilized it.

Yes. I still hold you ALL responsible.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post

Those threads don't cause any more of a problem than their smaller cousins, they are just records in a database that sit there until someone opens the record and retrieves some of the data (posts).

The problem around here is likely to do with PAAS (Platform As A Service) and SAAS (Software As A Service) -- in other words, server virtualisation and cloud computing. Unbeknownst to its users, H-C probably got off of "real" co-located computing hardware sometime in the past year or so (during one of those lovely "down for maintenance" periods) and are now running the forum website in a shared cloud environment. If you want performance in the cloud, you buy more computing cycles (think virtual GHz) and/or more virtual CPUs and/or more virtual RAM. If you are on a lean budget, you only buy enough to make it function.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SpaceProg View Post
I'm a biology person, dangit...

FWIW, during the daytime hours, I play around a hell of a lot with potentially dangerous combinations of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen -- and, from time to time, maybe a little fluorine, chlorine, sulphur and phosphorus. During the nighttime hours, I do battle against trolls in the amp forum. biggrin.gif

Archived