Morello

deanmass

• Members

Wait, Morello is black?? :idk:

I like his views, and he's in a position to make them attainable. At least, kind of. He really believes in what he says and to me, that's what rock has been about. Protesting, showing emotion, telling people to go {censored} themselves. And he's a damn good guitar player.

• Members

Wait, Morello is black??
:idk:

I like his views, and he's in a position to make them attainable. At least, kind of. He really believes in what he says and to me, that's what rock has been about. Protesting, showing emotion, telling people to go {censored} themselves. And he's a damn good guitar player.

In the beginning, rock was about getting {censored}ed (thus the name "rock n' roll"), not telling people to {censored} off. Actually, it's been that way for most of it existence.

The point that I was making earlier in the thread is that while I don't grudge Morello for stating his political views with his music, and basically making his career/living off of that stance, I really think that it's a waste of his time and money. It's nice that he wants to do something meaningful beyond be a musician, and his fervor is to be commended, but if he really wanted to make a difference, he would be better off just donating to charities rather than protest things that protesting won't ever change.

• Members

I dig Rage, I dig Morello and people who are politically active enough to try to spear their word and beliefs. I don't have to like someone's pitifal leanings to appreciate their music but on the other hand, I don't want to lectured directly to at a concert... I'd rather the lecture be through the music or at least subliminal messages.

:lol:

• Members

I don't get the whole "anti corporation" thing. It's just a business term, and simply means that a company sold shares publicly to raise capital. Some are big, some are small. Many have lots of employees (and thus, supply jobs). If you invest in a corporation, by buying their stock, you may get a return (dividends and/or capital gains) if they do well. You may also lose money (nothing ventured, nothing gained). The part that seems to steam a lot of folks is that the corporation's raison d'etre is to make money for the stockholders - not to employ people. I've been laid off 3 times by my corporate employers over the last many years, but it doesn't mean that I don't want Wall Street to do well - that's where my 401k is invested!

• Members

I don't think Tom is opposed to paying more taxes than a middle class American to help the economy.

Does he, though? There's no law that says you can't pay more taxes than you owe. I mean, does he need the whole $30 Million to live on? Why not just pay $25M to the IRS? Or, if he doesn't trust the IRS, why not give it to people he meets on the street or to his fans?

Why doesn't he lead by example?

• Members

There is absolutely no difference on paper between Tom Morello and Paul Ryan. They're both well off dudes who made it on their own who are telling those less "fortunate" than them what to do. One says "you can make it too if you work hard", the other says "you can't make it cuz the rich are stealing it from you, so you might as well wear a tampon and bitch all day long".

They're both "elites" who don't know {censored} from shinola. But good on them, at least they both cut their own paths in life and i commend them for it. But they're both a little too "precious" in their own heads. Just think, what a huge egotistical prick you have to be to go out in public and tell people what's right for them.

totally ridiculous. Where is tom morello "telling people what to do"?

your argument is nothing more than hurling mud at a strawman.

• Members

Wow. I just thought it was interesting because he was talking about Obama growing a pair. I love Morellos's playing. I alos like that he is not afraid to speak his mind and piss people of. But, I do not understand ANY of you that think he is faking it. He came out of RATM for Christ sakes. This is NOT a guy who is afraid to say what he wants, rich or poor. I say, great innovated player, and overall a force for good both in music and other areas. Much of what RATM was about is STILL going on. Bulls on Parade. F*** you I won't do what you tell me..this is the band he was in and people think he is a poser? Wow.

• Members

If you think so.

I think he has absolutely zero ability to look at issues logically, and to come to sound conclusions about them....and that's the difference.

Well, I don't really think so, but at least Nugent's good for a laugh. Morrello is tedious self-absorbed windbag.

• Members

I think Morello is more interested, along with some of the other members of the panel, in getting people to think about their choices politically. How many people vote because the party they belong to tells them that is how they should vote? How many who vote actually know about the issues they are voting for? Example: I am a firefighter and a member of a Public Union (You know, the ones who are being blamed for all the money woes in the country right about now?). There are many firefighters that I work with, and those I don't, that are willing to vote for Romney even though it means voting in a president who would not have any issue with gutting our benefits. Why? Because "that Black man" is an idiot. My wife is going to vote for Romney even though the California Republicans are more than willing to take my retirement away all in the name of political expediency. Why? If pressed she could not tell me one rational reason other than, "He, (Obama), does not know what he is doing."

That much is obvious but what is it he is not doing exactly? How many people can answer that question? How many people can say why it is they like Romney other than the fact that he is the one to remove Obama from office? What is his plan to stimulate the economy? What is his plan about Afghanistan? The Middle East? Israel? The petroleum reserves off the North Slope of Alaska? Etc...

What is Obama's plan?

How many people actually know the reason for the "budget crises" caused by Public Unions? How many Public Unions (or unions for that matter) were responsible for the economy crapping out? Why has the Stock Market shown an increase of over 100% since it hit bottom in '09 yet the unemployment levels have shown a minute decrease in the same amount of time?

How many are actually getting facts about the issues instead of listening to a mouthpiece tell them how right or wrong a person is?

Obama is, IMO, an idiot who has no plan and is over his head. His domestic policies have floundered and his foreign policy is almost non-existent. His one "GREAT" accomplishment is Obama-Care which is seriously flawed and not well-though out.

Romney? Domestic issues are a non-entity to him. He is just parroting what has been promised for years by Republicans. Foreign policy? He is an arrogant asshole who will get us in more trouble than we can handle. he is pompous and, as exhibited by his actions after the Libya episode, willing to usurp the National Leader to show just how "on top of things" he is. he cannot keep his stupid mouth shut and will, possibly, lead us into war to prove he is as strong as GWB. Unfortunately, he failed to see how stupid GWB was when he led us into Afghanistan and Iraq. Romany wants to be Reagan but is a mere shadow of Reagan.

Morello just wants us, and the politicians, to think beyond what the norm is and really see what is going on to our country. He would like, IMO, for the politicians to return to what they were supposed to be: For the people, by the people and answerable to the people. When the country is faced with choices such as Obama and Romney the public loses, not just the one who loses the election. He wants leaders who can lead, not just pass out the Kool-Aid and tell us it is going to be all right.

• Members

Wow. I just thought it was interesting because he was talking about Obama growing a pair. I love Morellos's playing. I alos like that he is not afraid to speak his mind and piss people of. But, I do not understand ANY of you that think he is faking it. He came out of RATM for Christ sakes. This is NOT a guy who is afraid to say what he wants, rich or poor. I say, great innovated player, and overall a force for good both in music and other areas. Much of what RATM was about is STILL going on. Bulls on Parade. F*** you I won't do what you tell me..this is the band he was in and people think he is a poser? Wow.

I don't think he's a poser by any means. I just think he's wasting his resources.

Also, while it's nice to tell the president to grow a pair, it's not like he can control Congress, the lobbyists, the Supreme Court, and the behavior of US citizens. We often put more blame than is worth on the president for things. If a president goes to war, then you've got every right to criticize him for that. But all the other issues are both created by far more people than just the president, and impossible to fix by just one person, even if s/he is the president.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived