Morello

deanmass

• Members

He's awesome.....

Such a smart guy.

I'm glad there are some intelligent musicians out there who have analyzed the FACTS and recognize what the actual problems are.

I'm glad there are musicians who WON'T just "shut up and play music" like so many foolish people love to say if someone doesn't share the same opinion they do. {censored} those assholes.

World needs more famous people who actually have a set of balls to stand up to the corporate whores who try to shut them up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by soundcreation

View Post

He's awesome.....

Such a smart guy.

I'm glad there are some intelligent musicians out there who have analyzed the FACTS and recognize what the actual problems are.

I'm glad there are musicians who WON'T just "shut up and play music" like so many foolish people love to say if someone doesn't share the same opinion they do. {censored} those assholes.

World needs more famous people who actually have a set of balls to stand up to the corporate whores who try to shut them up.

Yes, those same corporate assholes who helped Morello cash in on the whole "i'm a commie rebel" gimmick.

I want to hear music when i go to a concert, not a political speech promoting equality and freedom, yet calling me an asshole and telling me to get the {censored} out of i don't agree with him.

• Members

You can see very clearly from that interview, it's NOT a gimmick. It's very much a very real part of who he is (annoyingly so, because everytime you see a Morello interview, you know it's going to be political).

Death metal guys who wear silly masks but act like normal people in their regular lives, is a gimmick.

I admire his motivation and will to fight. I don't have the same will. Or the same strength. I'm too selfish for that, but there needs to be more Morello's in the world. It's one thing to have his views on an internet forum, another to do it on such a large stage that he does. Where it's easy to be criticised.

• Members

I don't hate Morello, but I have seen interviews with him where I have felt like he was trying too hard. He grew up in a middle class home and he went to freaking HARVARD University, yet he tries to come off with this "I'm a black man, and I've been held back..." persona sometimes, even though he has had more opportunities than most people (black or white) will have in this country. He's like a "black guy" (although he is of mixed parentage, like Obama) with "white guilt" because he was too privileged or something. Methinks he doth protest too much.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Red81

View Post

Yes, those same corporate assholes who helped Morello cash in on the whole "i'm a commie rebel" gimmick.

I want to hear music when i go to a concert, not a political speech promoting equality and freedom, yet calling me an asshole and telling me to get the {censored} out of i don't agree with him.

Or maybe it was more like..."hey look at these stupid corporate {censored}s who are willing to put out a product that directly contradicts their interests....what losers!....fine...let's do it!"

Don't think I've ever heard morello calling anyone an asshole for not agreeing with him....but whatever....don't like it then don't listen.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BryanMichael

View Post

I don't hate Morello, but I have seen interviews with him where I have felt like he was trying too hard. He grew up in a middle class home and he went to freaking HARVARD University, yet he tries to come off with this "I'm a black man, and I've been held back..." persona sometimes, even though he has had more opportunities than most people (black or white) will have in this country. He's like a "black guy" (although he is of mixed parentage, like Obama) with "white guilt" because he was too privileged or something. Methinks he doth protest too much.

I've never gotten that from him. I think he simply empathizes well with people he sees in a {censored}tier situation then he finds himself in, and he wants to do something about it. No guilt necessary.

• Members

View Post

So you would prefer he took the attitude of "I got mine so who gives a {censored} about you"?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kayd_mon

View Post

I like threads where soundcreation gets pissed off and yells at people. It's highly entertaining.

I like RATM and Morello as much as the next guy, but the protesting reminds me of this video, from a guy I find to be hilarious.

Well, some corporations are actually good, like they donate a lot of their money to good causes. I think Mark Zuckerberg donated a lot of money (and I'm talking millions here) to some school to help it.

Corporations and multi-miilionaires like that I have no problem with.

• Members

In this day and age, complaining about corporations is like complaining that the sun is too hot. The only cure is to move yourself out of its reach, and the only way it's going to go away completely is for something catastrophic and completely out of your control to happen to it.

Also, I just think that the A Dose of Buckley series is hilarious, and he had one on a related topic to the Tom Morello interview.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RUExp?

View Post

So you would prefer he took the attitude of "I got mine so who gives a {censored} about you"?

No, I think he believes in what he is saying, but when someone comes out of Harvard, and then complains that they are "completely un-employable" - I have to think that he is trying too hard to be something he really isn't. Of course, suffering, privilege, and struggle are all relative- I'm a white man and my entire life people have been telling me how privileged I am, but I every time I show up to cash in on that privilege, I am expected to work cry.gif but I didn't grow up without my father like Tom did, I'm not "a black man" like he hangs his identity on, and I really don't know what his real struggles were/are. But some of it rings a little hollow to me. It's one thing to point out things, or identify with people that have been marginalized, it's quite another to try to come of as one of those people when you really aren't.

For the record, Bob Dylan kind of did the same thing and it turned out okay for him I guess...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kayd_mon

View Post

In this day and age, complaining about corporations is like complaining that the sun is too hot. The only cure is to move yourself out of its reach, and the only way it's going to go away completely is for something catastrophic and completely out of your control to happen to it.

Also, I just think that the A Dose of Buckley series is hilarious, and he had one on a related topic to the Tom Morello interview.

You're equating corporations to the Sun? I see......

• Members

I like what Tom Morello wrote in Rolling Stone about Paul Ryan being a "fan" of RATM:

Tom Morello: 'Paul Ryan Is the Embodiment of the Machine Our Music Rages Against'

Rage Against the Machine's guitarist blasts Romney's VP pick and unlikely Rage fan

Comment

Tom Morello and Vice Presidential Candidate Paul Ryan

Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images; Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call

By

Tom Morello

August 16, 2012 6:44 PM ET

Last week, Mitt Romney picked Paul Ryan, the Republican architect of Congress's radical right-wing budget plan, as his running mate. Ryan has previously cited Rage Against the Machine as one of his favorite bands. Rage guitarist Tom Morello responds in this exclusive op-ed.

Paul Ryan's love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades. Charles Manson loved the Beatles but didn't understand them. Governor Chris Christie loves Bruce Springsteen but doesn't understand him. And Paul Ryan is clueless about his favorite band, Rage Against the Machine.

Ryan claims that he likes Rage's sound, but not the lyrics. Well, I don't care for Paul Ryan's sound or his lyrics. He can like whatever bands he wants, but his guiding vision of shifting revenue more radically to the one percent is antithetical to the message of Rage.

I wonder what Ryan's favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of "{censored} the Police"? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!

Don't mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta "rage" in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he's not raging against is the privileged elite he's groveling in front of for campaign contributions.

You see, the super rich must rationalize having more than they could ever spend while millions of children in the U.S. go to bed hungry every night. So, when they look themselves in the mirror, they convince themselves that "Those people are undeserving. They're . . . lesser." Some of these guys on the extreme right are more cynical than Paul Ryan, but he seems to really believe in this stuff. This unbridled rage against those who have the least is a cornerstone of the Romney-Ryan ticket.

But Rage's music affects people in different ways. Some tune out what the band stands for and concentrate on the moshing and throwing elbows in the pit. For others, Rage has changed their minds and their lives. Many activists around the world, including organizers of the global occupy movement, were radicalized by Rage Against the Machine and work tirelessly for a more humane and just planet. Perhaps Paul Ryan was moshing when he should have been listening.

My hope is that maybe Paul Ryan is a mole. Maybe Rage did plant some sensible ideas in this extreme fringe right wing nut job. Maybe if elected, he'll pardon Leonard Peltier. Maybe he'll throw U.S. military support behind the Zapatistas. Maybe he'll fill Guantanamo Bay with the corporate criminals that are funding his campaign

• Members

View Post

No, I think he believes in what he is saying, but when someone comes out of Harvard, and then complains that they are "completely un-employable" - I have to think that he is trying too hard to be something he really isn't. Of course, suffering, privilege, and struggle are all relative- I'm a white man and my entire life people have been telling me how privileged I am, but I every time I show up to cash in on that privilege, I am expected to work cry.gif but I didn't grow up without my father like Tom did, I'm not "a black man" like he hangs his identity on, and I really don't know what his real struggles were/are. But some of it rings a little hollow to me. It's one thing to point out things, or identify with people that have been marginalized, it's quite another to try to come of as one of those people when you really aren't.

For the record, Bob Dylan kind of did the same thing and it turned out okay for him I guess...

So since Tom Morello is successful he should become an Uncle Tom like all of the other "good" negroes?

IE: Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice, Clarence Thomas, et al?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by humbuckerstrat

View Post

You're equating corporations to the Sun? I see......

No, I'm calling corporations something you can neither move nor destroy. Corporations control economies, and it's rooted so deeply, that protests (in any format) really aren't going to do anything about it. Just as how it would take a supernova to remove the sun, it would take something cataclysmic to remove corporations.

But since corporations provide us heat and energy in our homes and often provide our food for us, I suppose you could call them our invented sun.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by humbuckerstrat

View Post

So since Tom Morello is successful he should become an Uncle Tom like all of the other "good" negroes?

IE: Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice, Clarence Thomas, et al?

Uh...no, you racist {censored}. But to call yourself "completely un-employable" (his words) when you have a Harvard degree in your pocket is kind of a slap in the face to the people he purports to champion in some ways.

• Members
Uh...no, you racist {censored}. But to call yourself "completely un-employable" (his words) when you have a Harvard degree in your pocket is kind of a slap in the face to the people he purports to champion in some ways.

@ least he doesn't want to do away with Affirmative Action (through which Clarence Thomas got to go to college), like Clarence Thomas does.

• Members

He's awesome.....

Such a smart guy.

This is why Ted Nugent is so awesome.

• Members

There is absolutely no difference on paper between Tom Morello and Paul Ryan. They're both well off dudes who made it on their own who are telling those less "fortunate" than them what to do. One says "you can make it too if you work hard", the other says "you can't make it cuz the rich are stealing it from you, so you might as well wear a tampon and bitch all day long".

They're both "elites" who don't know {censored} from shinola. But good on them, at least they both cut their own paths in life and i commend them for it. But they're both a little too "precious" in their own heads. Just think, what a huge egotistical prick you have to be to go out in public and tell people what's right for them.

• Members

I'm a big fan of Miles Davis' music, even though Miles could often be an insufferable asshole.

I like the music of Richard Wagner, even though he was an antisemite.

And I like Tom Morello's music even though he's an extreme leftist.

It's not up to Morello who his fans should be or how his music should be enjoyed. Neither is it up to me to assume all artists must be in line with my social and political equilibrium.

I think he could have been more charitable to his own cause to accept that Paul Ryan enjoys his music, and to simply suggest that he listen to the message behind the music and think about it.

But I suppose to be gracious would not have been "raging."

Morello doth take himself way too seriously sometimes.

Archived