You ever spend 2 hours researching something that you absolutely don't need?

honeyiscool

• Members

I had a gig last night (on keyboard) and I was really unhappy with how reliant I was on the sound guy and I just could use a lot more volume in general. So I was thinking I could totally get on board with an on-stage amp, so I started researching keyboard amps. And then I was like looking at my options thinking that keyboard amps largely suck. I mean, you get like 90 pound amps that put out 180 watts at $600... which doesn't go that far when you have an instrument that needs pristine clean amplification from the lowest lows to the highest highs. An AC30 could easily drown out a 180 watt keyboard amp.

Apparently I forgot that I spent $1500 on a pair of QSC K10s a year ago, and those each put out 1000 watts and are 32 pounds each. As in, they're exactly what I need for this application, I even have cases for them, and somehow I forgot all about them. What's wrong with me?

:facepalm:

• Members

Re: your own situation, I'm sure when you bought those 1000 watt speakers you weren't intending them for the keyboard, so you likely just did what I do all the time - forgot about what they were capable of and only regard them in terms of the purpose you use them for. I did the same exact thing - bought an axe fx, and was looking at power FRFR monitors for live use/jamming with others. At the EXACT SAME TIME, I was searching the internet to see how much money I could get selling this old PA system I've got sitting in my studio unused since I don't sing in a band anymore.

Not kidding, it took an hour for me to realize I could run the axe FX through the PA. DURRRRRRP.

As for researching stuff you don't need - I recently saw something similar but different in a friend of mine. He's so smart, and obsessed with knowing about anything he's curious about, he downloaded and read the entire Axe Fx 2 manual when I said I'd purchased one. Most people would just ask "hey, what's that all about..." and maybe read a blurb on the website. This dude came over here yesterday, and was showing ME how MY new gear works. He really impresses the hell out of me sometimes.

• Members

Re: your own situation, I'm sure when you bought those 1000 watt speakers you weren't intending them for the keyboard, so you likely just did what I do all the time - forgot about what they were capable of and only regard them in terms of the purpose you use them for. I did the same exact thing - bought an axe fx, and was looking at power FRFR monitors for live use/jamming with others. At the EXACT SAME TIME, I was searching the internet to see how much money I could get selling this old PA system I've got sitting in my studio unused since I don't sing in a band anymore.

Not kidding, it took an hour for me to realize I could run the axe FX through the PA. DURRRRRRP.

As for researching stuff you don't need - I recently saw something similar but different in a friend of mine. He's so smart, and obsessed with knowing about anything he's curious about, he downloaded and read the entire Axe Fx 2 manual when I said I'd purchased one. Most people would just ask "hey, what's that all about..." and maybe read a blurb on the website. This dude came over here yesterday, and was showing ME how MY new gear works. He really impresses the hell out of me sometimes.

• Members

how do you like the QSCs?... i've been looking at the K12s

I love them a lot. They're great for everything. I've used them in various different settings, for guitar (through a preamp), vocals, at my friend's wedding, etc. They've always been loud enough and the sound never distorts or sound bad (to me). Plus, they're so light for the amount of power they give you. There's a vocal HF boost which is actually really useful for cutting through, and then there's also a bass boost which works surprisingly well.

I'd imagine the K12s are more or less just as fine as the K10s, probably a bit more bass, but I don't think the K10s are lacking in any way at all. I think most reviews do confirm that the 10s and 12s sound more or less the same.

• Members

The K series are great speakers for the money. I have some pretty seriously nice high-dollar PA's at my disposal, but I still find those boxes a pleasure to mix on. I did a gig last week for a buddy mixing A.J. Croce (Jim Croce's son, check him out if you get a chance, honeyiscool, you might dig him). AJ switched from acoustic grand piano to acoustic guitar, and had a sideman who switched from bass to electric to acoustic and sang backup. It was in a high school auditorium, around 500-600 seats. I had 2 K10's and a Ksub for mains, with a single K8 for front/center fill. 3 K12's did monitor duty. I had a feeling it was going to be a little light to really do the room, but it wasn't at all, and the whole PA fit in the back of my smallish pickup truck easily. I like the sound of the 10's the best, but you're right there's not a ton of difference in sound between the 10's and the 12's. The K sub doesn't really do much and isn't very musical. I've never been a fan of small band-pass subs. For the AJ Croce gig though it was fine as there was little that needed to go through it.

• Members

The K series are great speakers for the money. I have some pretty seriously nice high-dollar PA's at my disposal, but I still find those boxes a pleasure to mix on. I did a gig last week for a buddy mixing A.J. Croce (Jim Croce's son, check him out if you get a chance, honeyiscool, you might dig him). AJ switched from acoustic grand piano to acoustic guitar, and had a sideman who switched from bass to electric to acoustic and sang backup. It was in a high school auditorium, around 500-600 seats. I had 2 K10's and a Ksub for mains, with a single K8 for front/center fill. 3 K12's did monitor duty. I had a feeling it was going to be a little light to really do the room, but it wasn't at all, and the whole PA fit in the back of my smallish pickup truck easily. I like the sound of the 10's the best, but you're right there's not a ton of difference in sound between the 10's and the 12's. The K sub doesn't really do much and isn't very musical. I've never been a fan of small band-pass subs. For the AJ Croce gig though it was fine as there was little that needed to go through it.

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience! I had a feeling the K sub is probably a bit pointless. Isn't it just K12 woofers in a wood cabinet? Seems like it wouldn't deliver the kind of bass you'd want on such speakers. As far as bass goes, I'd think that you need at least 15" or 18" to get the ass shaking bass that people get subs for. Any reason you used K8s and K10s facing the audience instead of K12? Is it because of the wider spread of the smaller models?

• Members

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience! I had a feeling the K sub is probably a bit pointless. Isn't it just K12 woofers in a wood cabinet? Seems like it wouldn't deliver the kind of bass you'd want on such speakers. As far as bass goes, I'd think that you need at least 15" or 18" to get the ass shaking bass that people get subs for. Any reason you used K8s and K10s facing the audience instead of K12? Is it because of the wider spread of the smaller models?

The Ksub is actually plastic just like the rest of the series. It might be the same driver as the K12, not sure. It's fine if you're doing a little music playback and need a little extra punch, maybe for backing tracks for a solo gig, some extra bass for your corporate gig, but there's no way they'd cut it with a full band. The KW sub, which is a proper wooden, front loaded, 18" sub, is considerably better. The wider coverage is exactly why I used the 10's and 8 over the 12's for mains.

Archived