Why do you guys not talk about music like this, ever?

nicholai

• Members

I think this is masterful guitar work, new, and worthy of discussion, rather than the same threads we see day after day. I can name ten other bands I find as compelling as anything that's classic, playing right now. Never see them on this board.

Too few notes?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Meh. The guitar and drums are nice, although the reverb is excessive. The vocals cross over into pretentious territory. The entire thing has the stiff feel of someone trying too hard to be different. These guys really, really want you to know that they

• Members

ROFL. Fair. At least its some discussion. Little side note, they are not playing small clubs in Brooklyn. I've been trying to see them for years very actively and failing.

I'd listen to more by them personally to jump that far, but hey, at least you listened. thumb.gif

Post something new you like?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by D Carroll View Post
Grizzly Bear is amazing. They kill it live, too.
Ok, you are encouraging me. Glad you got a chance to see them.

This really sucks? I just picked the first one because it had a good bit of guitar in it that I really liked.

• Members

I like Grizzly Bear quite a bit, along with lots of other newer bands. It's pretty rare that I post cool music I find anymore on this forum. There used to be a handful of posters who used to post cool new stuff here fairly often, and discussions would ensue. Most here now, are just not really receptive to it. Sure, you'll get a few high fives or whatever, but mostly these threads will just float away.

JJ kind of nailed it when he said (to paraphrase) this forum is all about shopping and arguing. Now if you titled your thread "Grizzly Bear is way better than any band you like", then you might get it stick on page one for a bit while people come in to flame you and tell you that no good music has been made since 1989. You could always post it over in Guitar Jam. You might get a bit of discussion out of it, until the in-crowd there comes into your thread, one desparately trying to be wittier than the next, turning it into some big inside joke that was never really that funny to begin with.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
Why do you guys not talk about music like this, ever?
Take your pick:

(a) because it's not boring cheesy '70s blues-rock
(b) because it's not Van Halen or some other washed up '80s butt-rock band
© because it's not Nirvana
(d) because those damned kids have tight jeans

Post something new you like?
Rehashed and repackaged Springsteen? Maybe, but I still dig it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZKq6ZnWH-E

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son View Post
Rehashed and repackaged Springsteen? Maybe, but I still dig it:
Totally worth a listen.

I saw these guys live by accident, and the absolutely owned the whole day. I go to a lot of shows, I was there to see Levon Helm and these guys were on the same stage first.

Sadly video isn't as good, but thats cool, I like a band better live than on tape.

• Members

I like a lot of indie, as I grew up with the original Indie in the early to mid 1980s - Joy Division, New Order, Smiths and all the other bands that stuff spawned. I was a huge Pixies fan, and into things like Jesus and Mary Chain, the Mission, early Cult in my youth. I like a lot of it today, but I think there is a bit too much now that is, ironically too derivative, which is a problem if you are striving to break out of the mould. I guess the mould has been already well and truly broken in many respects.

• Members

I think this is masterful guitar work, new, and worthy of discussion, rather than the same threads we see day after day. I can name ten other bands I find as compelling as anything that's classic, playing right now. Never see them on this board.

Too few notes?
I clicked your video hoping beyond all reason that someone had found a cool band that migt not follow the typical boring crap that's out there today. Alas, you found typical boring crap. I like some of the guitar tone, but the rest of the band kills it. Especially those vocals.. Good God that was horrible.

• Members
I saw these guys live by accident, and the absolutely owned the whole day. I go to a lot of shows, I was there to see Levon Helm and these guys were on the same stage first.

Sadly video isn't as good, but thats cool, I like a band better live than on tape.
I'd heard of TV on the Radio, but never listened to them before now. They're pretty good, but not really my style with the synthesized sounds and dance-style beats. I prefer a pretty straight-forward stripped-down organic sound with a healthy dose of punk influence. I'm far from original though, I tend to wear my influences on my sleeve.

These two songs are pretty typical of the type of stuff I listen to these days:

• Members

Just not my cup of tea I'm afraid. The guitars sounded like they needed to be tuned, and I wasn't real impressed with the vocals...but that may be part of that style of music.
The guy on the left without shoes on....he can't be dead. You'll note he has socks on. Not dead...just maybe not-at-all well.

• Members

1) They look like pretentious hipsters.

2) This is actually not horrible. Interesting, but not quite my thing, but I will give them a few more listens. I try not to judge based on one pass.

3) This is a guitar forum. They are not really rocking the guitar part in any way shape or form. This is more in the St. Vincent/Flaming Lips vein to me. And "masterful guitar work is a streeeeeeeeetttttttccccccchhhhhhhhh", but composition wise, it is mildly complex and sort of interesting. And St. Vincent, largely IS masterful guitar work relative to the style she plays.

4) I almost always listen to links of bands posted here, so, go nutts. I will listen and usually comment.

• Members

Great band!

[video=youtube;tjecYugTbIQ]

[video=youtube;OJpC9JqSnJk]

Head over to the effects forum if you would like to discuss indie rock. Harmony Central forums are basically split up into genres, despite what the subforums may be named.

• Members

Not to sound like a Village Voice rock critic, I think the basic problem is that there is a huge fork in the tree of rock that some people just don't even know about. And it's called the Velvet Underground. Virtually everything that people on this forum dismiss as arty, boring, hipster college rock is rooted in the Velvets. Oh, there's a BIG difference between black metal and death metal, and who influenced whom, blah blah blah.....but the Velvets and a few other bands created a side door out of the 60's that a ton of bands have followed. It's like not even knowing that the person on the other side of the breakfast table is your sibling, and instead complaining that they aren't doing all the same stuff you're doing.

Not that most classic rock fans would probably like the Velvets, or Grizzly Bear. It's just that it helps to understand where stuff is coming from, and that not everything is an inferior version of the stuff you already like.

• Members

Not to sound like a Village Voice rock critic, I think the basic problem is that there is a huge fork in the tree of rock that some people just don't even know about. And it's called the Velvet Underground. Virtually everything that people on this forum dismiss as arty, boring, hipster college rock is rooted in the Velvets. Oh, there's a BIG difference between black metal and death metal, and who influenced whom, blah blah blah.....but the Velvets and a few other bands created a side door out of the 60's that a ton of bands have followed. It's like not even knowing that the person on the other side of the breakfast table is your sibling, and instead complaining that they aren't doing all the same stuff you're doing.

Not that most classic rock fans would probably like the Velvets, or Grizzly Bear. It's just that it helps to understand where stuff is coming from, and that not everything is an inferior version of the stuff you already like.

I more or less agree with this sentiment.

It's always a bit startling to me to hear people's first reactions to this kind of music and almost always the complaint is about the vocals. Always, people can't sing. I guess if you're used to Robert Plant vocals, these people can't sing. But I hear that complaint about everyone from Ian Curtis or Jeff Mangum, which I can understand, to Thom Yorke, which I can't understand, since that dude definitely CAN sing, look at any live video of "Creep." But in their own way, Curtis and Mangum are great vocalists and people who like their music LOVE their voices, but to an unfamiliar listener, Ian sounds like Kermit the Frog and Jeff sounds like an annoying teenager. So I have to think it's something stylistically about this music that they just can't really wrap their heads around, and it's probably an issue of familiarity. Eventually you listen to enough of it and it's fine.

• Members

Love Grizzly Bear! Veckatimest is a pretty great album too. Obviously not everyone's going to like them but I'd find it difficult to call them boring. Lots of interesting guitar parts and vocal harmonies. Hope to see them live one day.

@ nicholai Have you seen the film Blue Valentine? They did a great job with the soundtrack to that.

And what's this "too much reverb"??

Archived