Why do you guys not talk about music like this, ever?

nicholai

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That, may well have been the best performance posted yet. Wow.

(Holy {censored} me and Raven found common ground. What do I do now?)

:thu:

It's my favorite live performance vid of all time. And my buddy was there and I wasn't. {censored}er.

• Members

When will people stop mistaking this as a music forum:freak:

It's fundamentally a shopping forum, get over it

Yeah, but these videos can induce GAS.

I've been happy with a lot of the stuff posted so far. Like Kaki a lot, always have. She's an amazing player. Black Mountain is great too.

I never heard Rival Sons before, but they have a great 70's classic rock feel. Pretty damn powerful. And I hadn't heard Tera Melos before either, but I liked it.

I just heard these guys today. Australian band that's a mix between garage rock and 60's soul...err..or something...

This particular track is quick, to the point, and I likes it:

[video=youtube;jOHOnb8Tv30]

• Members

Some good things going on in this thread

Personally I think it's far too much effort to try label everything we listen to with a genre. What does Indie or Indie rock even mean? I think of some things when I write that, but it might not be what you think of when you read it, and vice versa. There's so much music and I think it's easy to waste a lot of time getting into these debates and then some people end up writing off a whole genre of music because they don't like one band.

Its completely subjective, I listen to music I like, that makes me feel whatever I want to feel at that time and I'm sure that's what everyone here does too. For me sometimes that's Kaki King, Grizzly Bear, Foals, St Vincent. Sometimes it's The Zombies, The Beach Boys and Steely Dan.

one of the good things is this post.

When i mentioned Red Fang reminded me of the scene 40 years ago, I wonder who thought I was deranged.

In fact the only difference between then and now in terms of the range of music, and bands producing it, is the incessant labelling and categorisation.

When i started out we had bands in school (one of which became the Zombies) and colleges and garages and homes that played stuff like Red Fang, stuff like "indie" bands, stuff like "punk" bands, "blues" stuff, well-composed stuff, improvised stuff etc etc etc.

The difference is that we didn't feel the need to wear labels to allow our musical tastes to define us.

If we liked it, that was good enough.

So this is a "music like this" thread not an indie thread, or a punk thread or a thrash thread or........

Thats the good thing..

• Members

They are simply not that good IMHO. There are dozens and dozens of other groups I would listen to before I listened to that group.

its not a matter of the being "good," its a matter of the tune just having a real feel-good impact on you when you watch it. that's what music is really all about :thu:

• Members

Holy hopping Jebus. That was my next favorite band. goddam.

Yea man, Umphrey's is amazing. I have seen them over 20 times live and they never play the same show twice. Masters of improv, and they all just absolutely rock face.

• Members

check this one out:

Jake Cinninger, their lead guitar player, is my main influence in just about everything I do. Of course he wasn't always, but as soon as I discovered him he has been. He's just unreal. He can nail ANY genre. and I mean ANY genre perfectly. I could find you a clip of him chickin' pickin' till the cows come home or bawls out metal.

they also work incredibly hard- touring about 200 days out of the year. Guaranteed they come somewhere near you... as long as you're in the states that is...

Archived