Rush! A concert Review

nuke_diver

• Members

Last night I went to see Rush (again) at the Shark Tank. In my opinion I have never seen them play better and that's saying something with those three. The sound was great and all three were spot on. Geddy's Bass was huge at times resonating in the pit of your stomach. Alex mostly played LP's but he did break out the White 335 for a couple of songs and a Strat for one.

Lots of stuff played from the 80's and a bunch was not something I've heard in a while. Stuff like The Body Electric, Analog Kid and a personal Treat for me The Manhattan Project to name a few.

Another really really cool thing they did was to bring out a String Ensemble for the second set primarily on the songs off the new album (which is btw an excellent album again IMO). Not only was it different and add a very unique flavour to the concert but the musicians were clearly totally into the music and rocked out throughout their time on stage. Totally_jammin_out.gif

If you can see them on this tour I highly recommend it. I'll see if any of my crappy cell phone pic are worth posting

wave.gif

• Members

I saw a partial set list and noticed there are 2 or 3 songs from Power Windows. Very interesting.

The whole band seems to be in agreement that their performance level is at an all-time peak, so they want to keep touring while they're still at a very high level.

I'll be missing them this tour, but I've seen them many times, including once during the Time Machine tour. It's always great to go see them.

• Members

Saw them last tour, and they definitely seem to be at te top of their game. I love the new CD, but I just did not wanna do the schlep to the Palace in Michigan. I saw them last time in Toledo, and much easier, stress free trip, plus Toledo is getting its vibe back. It's a tiny vibe, but it is better than Auburn Hills.

• Members

Yeah Alex and Geddy actually had Neil laughing about something eek.gif

Another surprise was that Alex (yes Alex) played the keyboard during The Garden (cut off the new album)

While I wonder how much longer they can do this. While they are not really OLD playing 3hr shows (yup they played pretty much a full 3 hrs 7:40-11 with a 20 min break) doing that plus the travel has got to be a grind as you get older. So while they might be able to do it they might not want to do it soon.

• Members

Got Lifeson? thumb.gif I saw them on this tour in St. Louis & Charlotte, and both shows were fantastic. In a recent interview Alex stated that he doesn't think he'll be jumping around on stage at 70, so that gives us eleven years to get our Rush fix before they park the tour bus (& Neil's BMW) permanently. There's talk, rumor and speculation that there will be a 2013 leg of the Clockwork Angels tour. If they get within 400 miles of my cornfield, I'll be there. Again. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by craigny

View Post

After all these years I've yet to get my ass to a Rush concert. I must.

Do it this tour, if you can. They're getting lots of praise for the new album.

Geddy and Alex have both mentioned their concern for Neil being able to do this for many more years. Neil has intimated that his style of drumming is very stressful on a body that isn't getting any younger, so it seems they'll keep going as long as Neil is reasonably happy doing it.

• Members

There's talk, rumor and speculation that there will be a 2013 leg of the Clockwork Angels tour. If they get within 400 miles of my cornfield, I'll be there. Again.

Same here better seats next time too

Geddy and Alex have both mentioned their concern for Neil being able to do this for many more years. Neil has intimated that his style of drumming is very stressful on a body that isn't getting any younger, so it seems they'll keep going as long as Neil is reasonably happy doing it.

It must be hard just to remember where everything is in his drum kit. Then again it's probably good mental exercise

Rush%20-%20Neil%20Peart%27s%202012%20kit

• Members

Daarrgh. I had to choose between Rush and The Who (couldn't afford both)-: And chose The Who (they were awesome). I figured this might really be the last time to see Roger and Pete.

I really want to see Rush again. Last time I saw Rush was probably 1990ish. Clockwork Angels is great. Hope they swing this way again.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by noisebloom

View Post

Do it this tour, if you can. They're getting lots of praise for the new album.

Yes im going to...if they hit near NYC again im there

• Members

Took my 11-year-old son to see them in DC. I hadn't seen them in 28 years, and I figured this might well be the last time.

I hope I have that kind of energy when I'm 60. They were amazingly solid. Lee's voice is IMHO better than it was back when he was full of helium- it just works better with the material. My son came away convinced that Peart is the best drummer of all time. (Admittedly he doesn't have a lot of experience to compare, but I can't argue too much with the conclusion)

When they started up 2112 as an encore the place went nuts.

• Members
Same here better seats next time too

It must be hard just to remember where everything is in his drum kit. Then again it's probably good mental exercise

Rush%20-%20Neil%20Peart%27s%202012%20kit

Not that my kit ever got THAT big...but I think you'd be surprised how easy it is. Usually drummers just add a piece or two at a time......one day the kits are just huge but you still know where everything is.

Like some guitarists with a massive pedal board...I have like three pedals (which don't get used often...and one at a time), so when I see some of those set ups I can't believe how they keep track of it all.

I'm sure it's the same....one pedal turns into two, into three, four and so on...and edge knows exactly what each button does. lol.

Archived