Alternate strat pickup switches or switch relocation

moestock

• Members

Apologies if this is a beat subject but searching did not yield much..

Looking for options for getting the strat pickup switch out of the way of my apparently clumsy strumming. I'm used to playing acoustics and gibson types and I'm always batting the selector switch around. I can't be the first to have this complaint.

Was wondering if there are any options out there for moving the switch or installng a different type like a sliding switch, dial, or push buttons. I was considering trying to bend the knob part sideways, maybe remove the knob, but thats got bad idea stink all over it.

Strat in question is a Fender deluxe players MIM, so it has the push button for the extra two pickup combos, if that matters.
Any ideas? lets have em'!

• Members

About twenty years ago someone made a drop-in replacement Strat switch that used light-up push buttons to turn on the pickups (one button for each PU, you could turn any combination on). Too bad they never caught on (may have been made by the same people that made the Strat pickguard with the built in tuner), I can't even find a picture of it on Google.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
About twenty years ago someone made a drop-in replacement Strat switch that used light-up push buttons to turn on the pickups (one button for each PU, you could turn any combination on). Too bad they never caught on (may have been made by the same people that made the Strat pickguard with the built in tuner), I can't even find a picture of it on Google.
Was it the Starr Switch?

starr-switch4-lead-920x350.jpg

• Members

the strat switch is fine and easy to get to when switching pickups as is the les paul switch, you will get used to it in time . the jag switches are a pain in the butt , any individual switch per pickup is a pain in live situations cause you have to turn one off and then turn one on , i couldn`t see somebody like ritchie blackmore coping with it at the rate he switches pickups.

• Members

Thanks for the replies, was thinking there might be a common fix out there but I guess not. I pulled the tip off and it seems that might be enough at least in the bridge, and more importantly neck position. If I slice up my fingers too much maybe I'll clip off some of the metal nub and sand it smooth. And yes I think the volume knob is too close as well!

Archived