MrSully GreatDane Jkater and Stomias collab!

Jkater

• Members

Here's an instrumental song we just finished putting together. It all started with a keyboard track by MrSully which defined the song and GreatDane added a bass line to it giving it its feel. I then put the drums, greatly helped and inspired by GD's terrific bass groove and the combined tracks were sent to Stomias who worked his magic in a flabbergasting record time (one day! eek.gif ), finishing the song with all the guitars and some organ.

Enjoy! (whoever is still here...)

Collab MrSully GreatDane Jkater Stomias

• Members

this came out great, guys. thank you for letting me participate. for those of you who might be interested in more of the "backstory":

Jkater and i exchanged PMs a little while back and i learned that he was talking about doing an original collaboration with MisterSully and HCEG forumite, Riffy. when i found out that they didn't have a bassist in mind, i offered up my "all thumbs" approach.

shortly thereafter, i got a keyboard track from Jkater that MisterSully had put together. killer track and very sparse, so i had a ton of room to play. i tracked the bass line using my Fender Precision bass. i did three takes and kept the second take. from there, Jkater laid down a few drum takes before settling in on the one you're hearing. then it was over to Riffy...

... who unfortunately broke his hand just a day or so before.

with Riffy out of commission, we were faced with the challenge of finding someone who could lay down some solid guitar tracks without compromising the loose, fun vibe that we had managed to create. enter: Stomias. out of nowhere, he threw some super-tasty, authoritative guitar work down over our beautiful mess and magic was born.

at least one alternate version of this track exists with different guitar parts and slightly different mix, but this one is mix we all agreed on. it does a good job of highlighting each of our contributions.

so, there you have it. Jkater on drums. myself on bass. MisterSully on keys and Stomias on guitar(s). to me, it sounds like we all got together over at Jkater's place one afternoon, put back a few beers, broke out the instruments and hit "record".

i can only hope to get another chance to play with these guys. solid musicians, each one of them. thanks again, y'all!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Flogger59 View Post
You're a drummer, too?

It just ain't fair...
Ain't it though

A bit jazzy a bit funky, it did come out great. Good work all of you. One of the real cool things about the internet is the ability for several folks to collaborate even though they may never actually meet

• Members

Stomias, the more I listen to what you did, all the layers, all the subtle touches, the more amazed I am. I can not thank you enough for the gift of your time and great skills.

MrSully, with your uncanny, sixth sense for good song writing, you provided a terrific canvas and a great direction to follow.

GreatDane, what a joy to do collabs with you! You're not only an accomplished musician but your positive spirit and energy makes it impossible for anyone working with you to fail.

That was fun!

Also a nod to riffy who had been patiently waiting for the track and was the original recruit for the lead when bad luck strucked. Let those three fingers heal and get ready for a future collab!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jkater View Post
Stomias, the more I listen to what you did, all the layers, all the subtle touches, the more amazed I am. I can not thank you enough for the gift of your time and great skills.

MrSully, with your uncanny, sixth sense for good song writing, you provided a terrific canvas and a great direction to follow.

GreatDane, what a joy to do collabs with you! You're not only an accomplished musician but your positive spirit and energy makes it impossible for anyone working with you to fail.

That was fun!

Also a nod to riffy who had been patiently waiting for the track and was the original recruit for the lead when bad luck strucked. Let those three fingers heal and get ready for a future collab!
thank you, J! the feeling is mutual. i'm a little surprised there aren't more of these things happening around here. the tech is pretty cheap and easy, and there's some great talent on this forum.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Flogger59 View Post
You're a drummer, too?

It just ain't fair...
biggrin.gif

Believe me, Flogger, I'm glad I wasn't called to put the guitar tracks on this.

This is the drum I used, Roland TD-9. Since this pic, I replaced the snare with a bigger, better one and use the original snare as a fourth tom (which I didn't really need but, hey, it's there so why not?)

IMG_0437.jpg

Archived