Did dick (yes, with a small "d") Cavett show Hendrix proper respect?

Jkater

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BryanMichael

View Post

Seriously? I think Dick was pretty cool. He is much less "snarky" than people like Letterman. In fact Dick kind of reminds me of being a cross between Bob Newhart and David Letterman.

Agreed. Back in those days there was a lot more of a culture clash between the "freaks" and the "establishment" types. I actually thought Cavett was sincerely trying to bridge that gap but at the same time being a little self-effacing as the "square". It did seem like the interview was completely on the fly and not rehearsed. Definitely a bit stilted.

It's remarkable to me that Hendrix, who seems a bit awkward and nervous in the interview, comes across so confident alone on stage with his guitar. Good stuff, thx for posting.

• Members

Very interesting inputs (notably GasMan's) and it makes me look at it quite differently.

Ok I take the "small "d" comment back. I was wrong and out of touch with the time. I think where I was coming from was: this guy is talking to a legend and doesn't realise it.

• Members

No way was there any disrespect as that was just Cavett's personality. Jimi appeared twice on the show and was scheduled to appear on the Woodstock show but he ran late. The Woodstock show had acts that went straight from Woodstock to the Cavett show and included- The Jefferson Airplane, Joni Mitchel, David Crosby and Steven Stills and was also the first time the word -{censored}- was said live on the air.

As far as Steve Allen goes he hated R&R and that was his idea of funny making Elvis sing to a Hound which really infuriated him. A bit of trivia =Allen was a frustrated song writer who I believe still holds the Guiness Book of Records record for writing over 10,000 songs! Yes that is correct lol, the only one I know is This Could be the Start of Something Big. So he had 9,999 bombs lmfao.

Ed Sullivan for how great and important his show was as stated was just interested in whatever would draw ratings and had no love for Rock.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jkater

View Post

Very interesting inputs (notably GasMan's) and it makes me look at it quite differently.

Ok I take the "small "d" comment back. I was wrong and out of touch with the time. I think where I was coming from was: this guy is talking to a legend and doesn't realise it.

hindsight on your part. And a "legend" to you. Sure...to many others as well....

But many people aren't star struck, and I appreciate that. I like interviewers who really don't give a {censored} (in terms of how "huge" the star is) about pandering to celebrities and will actually ask them interesting questions.

To me Jimi Hendrix was just a guy who happened to be good at guitar and create some amazingly good music. I don't think that means they should ever be above criticism or a little good natured ribbing as in this case.

• Members

I think Dick (Cap D) was perfectly cool. Hendrix was mumbling, probably high...I think Dick handled it fine. I mean maybe he would have acted differently if he knew Jimi was going to die and someday (like in 2012) be considered a guitar God...but I'm pretty sure he was unaware of that at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hendrix... "I can't practice, I just like to create" and "no, I can't read music at all". Talent to burn. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by axegrinder

View Post

I just stumbled onto this little snipet... makes me want to see the whole interview. They seemed to be getting along better here (Hendrix less nervous or more lucid??) idn_smilie.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gwLQAuHJv8

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Emory

View Post

i watched Cavett regularly, and agree he was somewhat dry and Uni prof, but his humor was at least 10 IQ points above the others. I saw no disrespect. Steve Allen was great too. Remember seeing Dylan for first time on his show, and Jack Kerouac. Plus Steve was a musician, a plus when musical types show up, eh?

Archived