Hamer Guitars Closes Up Shop

Special J

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMgT

View Post

Very sad. I love both my Hamers (Studio Custom, Newport Pro) - just another example of how simply making a superior product is not enough to survive in today's guitar market.

Or an example of giant corporations buying out competitors to squash the competition.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tommyld

View Post

Or an example of giant corporations buying out competitors to squash the competition.

But, if Hamer had been doing well they wouldnt have been bought by Fender. Apparently they werent representing much of a threat or Fender would have kept it going and enjoyed the spoils.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Kevman

View Post

But, if Hamer had been doing well they wouldnt have been bought by Fender. Apparently they werent representing much of a threat or Fender would have kept it going and enjoyed the spoils.

A few years ago, Fender bought all of Kaman music, which included Hamer, Ovation, Gretsch Drums, Takamine, LP, Toca and more. In doing so (along with other questionable decisions) Fender has overextended themselves financially. Hamer is not the first casualty, and not likely to be the last.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Special J

View Post

A few years ago, Fender bought all of Kaman music, which included Hamer, Ovation, Gretsch Drums, Takamine, LP, Toca and more. In doing so (along with other questionable decisions) Fender has overextended themselves financially. Hamer is not the first casualty, and not likely to be the last.

True. FMIC is trying to have a presence in every instrument market and segment, Their motivation may be to gain power over retailers or to control every available substitute for a guitar. Their acquisitions, for the most part, have not achieved that. It seems that they never developed enough resources to support the majority of the brands they acquired. As a result you have a number of brands that were simply in limbo for a while before eventually being eliminated.

• Members

Tthere really isn't a potential buyer for the name. Even assuming Gibson's finances would allow it they're presumably not interested in a brand whose products overlap with their current production line. St. Louis Music likely isn't interested. US Music Corp. owns Washburn, Parker, and Jay Turser, so they probably aren't interested either. Chances are if Hamer hadn't been part of the Kaman deal it would have gone out of business back in 2007-2008.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion1

View Post

I wonder how long before the Korean Hamer Slammers will be selling for $1000 on e-bay

Just saw one in a music shop on Tuesday. It was all punked out (festooned with cliched Misfits, Black Flag and biohazard stickers) and kind of beat up. They wanted ~$200 for it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DavidMgT

View Post

Very sad. I love both my Hamers (Studio Custom, Newport Pro) - just another example of how simply making a superior product is not enough to survive in today's guitar market.

Superior product often loses out in any market. VHS v. Beta, etc. etc. Marketing and popularity are big factors.

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]350481[/ATTACH] one piece maple top and one piece mahogany body. i just changed the pick up rings to the black shallow type, the original cream ones are quite high, now i can lower my pick ups and get even more tones from this thing.
this special is better than the PRS and Gibson guitars i have owned

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sgt mukuzi View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]350481[/ATTACH] one piece maple top and one piece mahogany body. i just changed the pick up rings to the black shallow type, the original cream ones are quite high, now i can lower my pick ups and get even more tones from this thing.
this special is better than the PRS and Gibson guitars i have owned
That's a beauty. I sold this '81 Special a few years back. Mine had a very skinny neck that I could never quite get on with. Great tone though. Those old DiMarzio PAF's rock.

81Hamer001.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Special J View Post
That's a beauty. I sold this '81 Special a few years back. Mine had a very skinny neck that I could never quite get on with. Great tone though. Those old DiMarzio PAF's rock.
people talk about skinny necks on old Hamers, the neck on mine is pretty standard thinkness wise but its not that wide. it takes a little getting used to after playing a wider necked beast. after about 5 mins on the hamer its just all so good.
when i bought it i wanted to see how low the action could go, it just kept getting lower, lower than my old Stienberger. amazingly well constructed, all the angles are spot on. i reckon the original guys at Hamer thought "these guitars are so well made everyone will want one"

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Special J View Post

81Hamer001.jpg
I think I have that one. It has dual Dimarzio SD's instead of rewound PAF's?
Did you sell to Chris Guitars?

Archived