Need suggestions to what guitar to get

Snaplit

• Members

Starting out, if your goinna buy a nice guitar, get a classic one, a Fender or Gibson, depending on which you like best.

Your tastes are guaranteed to change but the classics remain. They are classics for a reason. Chances are if you choose right you'll keep it forever.

Try a bunch of Strats and Teles. Remember you can always change the pickups later.

For Gibsons, If you don't like Les Pauls, then try an SG Standard.

For amps, I think your on the right track for an apartment dwelling beginner.

If you are computer savy and like to tweak, try the Fender Mustang series and the Yamaha THR 10.

If your more of the twist a knob and go type, try the SS Voxes, Oranges, and Roland Cubes.

In fact, if you budget allows after you get the nice guitar, the big Cube is great for low vol practice and also plenty big enough to eventually play out with.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Yamaha THR10 is probably the perfect amp for your situation. It's pretty much made from the ground up to be an apartment/living room amp, works great as an audio interface and sounds excellent. Not to mention it's affordable enough that it leaves plenty of money to get another amp should you start gigging or jamming with friends.

• Members

First, what you are listening to on that video has far more to do with effects than any given guitar, in this case (mostly delay). There are a vast array of guitars that will do that given the right pedals. When you choose your guitar listen for what you want to hear clean. All else follows from that. Once you've chosen your guitar based on clean tone then and only then decide what pedals you need to achieve that sound.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Steadfastly

View Post

You should pay a lot of attention to the type of neck that best suits your hands. This can make a big difference in how easy or how tiring it can be to play your guitar.

What size hands do you have?.....big, small, average, big fingers or small ones, short or long?

True, but from what i have heard "surfing around on the interwebs" You can adapt to any kind of neck shape, it's mostly about preference, I might be wrong of course.

And my fingers, kinda thin and finger length seems pretty average (middle finger 10.5 cm/4.13" Pinky 8 cm/3.14" and thumb 7 cm/2.75", measured from center knuckle to tip)

Quote Originally Posted by STRANDMAN1

View Post

First, what you are listening to on that video has far more to do with effects than any given guitar, in this case (mostly delay). There are a vast array of guitars that will do that given the right pedals. When you choose your guitar listen for what you want to hear clean. All else follows from that. Once you've chosen your guitar based on clean tone then and only then decide what pedals you need to achieve that sound.

Yeah, it hits me it was a bad example hehe..

I want to be able to play this kind of music:

And metal smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lefchr

View Post

try to buy used off of craigslist or something so you won't take as much of a loss if you don't stick with it.

Yeah I know you can save quite a lot of money by doing so, but I would like my first guitar to be all fresh and call my very own, I appreciate the tip though smile.gif

• Members

This guitar: from used.guitarcenter.com

108505114 SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC USED GODIN FREEWAY CLASSIC NC

This Amp, somewhere else on sale.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-T...42-i2436051.gc

Sock the rest away or spend a few hundred on lessons or truefire, etc.

That guitar/amp combo will serve you well. When you are ready to play out or with band, get a bigger amp or line out/mic the THR. Start playing with other people at your level or above ASAP.

Details

• Members

OP, you don't need an expensive guitar, you just need a good one. Any of the higher-end Squiers, LTD ST 203, or decent Strat will work for you. Just make sure it is set up correctly. A Fender Mustang or Super Champ XD will work fine.

I have been playing over 30 years and I have used my LTD ST203 and a Fender Blues Jr. for a lot of gigs. I have used a Squier CV 60s with a Super Champ XD over a 2x12 cab, too.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Snaplit

View Post

True, but from what i have heard "surfing around on the interwebs" You can adapt to any kind of neck shape, it's mostly about preference, I might be wrong of course.

And my fingers, kinda thin and finger length seems pretty average (middle finger 10.5 cm/4.13" Pinky 8 cm/3.14" and thumb 7 cm/2.75", measured from center knuckle to tip)

Sounds like great guitar hands to me. It looks like you don't have to look for anything extra wide or narrow, so most necks you should find quite comfortable with. Now, you just need to go and find a guitar that suits you.

To be frank, a lot of guitars will play a variety of styles from country to metal. Find a guitar you're comfortable with first, then worry about what you're playing.

• Members

I'll give ingredients instead of the brand

Body: Mahogany (not too thick, a maple cap if thicker, if no maple cap, no thicker than an SG)

Neck pickup Seymour Duncan Jazz

Bridge pickup Seymour Duncan JB

If possible, have coil split option on the bridge pickup and have two separate volume controls for different blends. At least one tone knob, but I prefer two.

Then call me in the morning.

• Members

Oh, and +1 to whoever mentioned springing for lessons. This will be the best investment towards tone you can make. In this day and age, it's tempting to just learn from internet lessons, and skip the formal training. Problem there is, there's nobody interacting with you to tell you if you're doing it right or if there's a better way. It can cause you to develop really bad habits early on that will be tough to break later.

• Members

thumb.gif

on the diablo track, love's me the diablo theme

Seriously if I was a beginner, PRS SEs seem to be great all around guitars and are solidly built. But you best bet is getting in a guitar shop and plucking around. Have someone teach you a few chords and find what feels right.

Then buy a delay pedal, im not particular on starter amps so I wont really give a rec there...and get back to that diablo track. m/

+1 on the lessons too, just to get started then feel your way from there. Books, online resources.

• Members

There is a nice white MIM Strat in the Spam thread...

I'd 2nd the Reverend Reeves 2, as I own one, and it and the green Flat Roc in my avatar are my two first choices when I play, but lately I have just been taking the RG cause the railhammers have the " chug" for bottom, but still have bite and chime for the arpeggio/twang stuff....that said, I still think you can get otd for under $600 with a good used guitar, a new THR10 amp, and money left to learn. I snatched my RG2 used with case for $750, so they can be had used, but they are rare.

• Members

You can't go wrong with a Humbucking Strat (although, if your tastes run towards metal, I'd recommend throwing in a Dimarzio Super Distortion).

I'd recommend the Ibanez RG series before the Strat, through. They've got great necks.

What I would suggest doing is going to your local music store and have a salesperson recommend a nice amp. Then have him play some guitars though it so you can hear the differences.

Lastly, while it's true you can get used to any neck, I recommend for beginners a nice thin neck. I'd google the positioning of some open chords (Open C is relatively easy) and try the guitars with those fingerings.

In terms of effects, I'd hold off until you get better at the instrument. Starting out, you want your sound as pure and clean as possible. In fact, your going to want to practice with the amp on clean, no matter the genre.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Snaplit

View Post

Does anyone know any guitars with a (H-S-H) setup with coil split humbuckers option?

If your looking for versatility, you might like a MusicMan Steve Morse model. This clip runs through his #1 and also the Y2D model.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Quarter

View Post

If your looking for versatility, you might like a MusicMan Steve Morse model. This clip runs through his #1 and also the Y2D model.

I second this. This covers everything from rock to country cleans awesome. I don't think the bridge pickup is uber "metal" but it's tight and with the right amp you're set.

Archived