Need suggestions to what guitar to get

Snaplit

• Members

I've read through all of the suggestions in this post and all are relevant which I am sure just makes it all the more confusing, however, I'm putting in my 2 cents regardless.

PRS Se Singlecut $400 if you look hard (hardtails are easy to set-up, keep tune)

Fender Mustang II amp less than $200 any day

I challenge anyone to do better than this for under $600.

prs-se-singlecut-scarlet-red.jpg

BAhbCFsHOgdmdUkiUGh0dHA6Ly9jNDM2NzkzLnI5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

here is what I did when I switched to electric guitar about 3 or 4 years ago :

- bought a strat because it was said to be the most versatile guitar : Fender American Series (800$ eBay). Couldn't set up the tremolo and intonation at that point. Played it a little bit and sold it.

- bought a Custom 72 Fender Telecaster. Theoretically versatile. MIJ (800$ eBay). Super neck and accurate intonation. Considered parting with it many times but it has a magic that makes me want to keep it every time I compare it to another. Shortcomings : dark sounding humbucker best for certain styles only.

- bought a Les Paul 60s tribute, 'cause it was said to be one of the best blues axe below 1000$ (paid 1200$ shipped actually). The nut was a bit weak. I ordered tools and material to make a proper bone nut. I made one and it's fantastic. Proud I am. Stays in tune. Sounds like a milion bucks with creamy P90 pickups. Doesn't get much playing though. Will probably keep it for a very long time. Even though I am into thicker necks now.

- deals I couldn't pass by on strats : Highway one + 50th American Series. Watched Karl Vereheyen's video on Youtube about tremolo setup. I managed to set up the strats properly. They play like a dream. Didn't like the wider string spacing on the early H1, sold it. The 50th doesn't get much playing at the moment but it's one of the best non custom shop ash strat. As long as finance allow I'll keep it around.

- found a nice 90s Gibson SG special in a pawn shop nearby (500$). My first HH guitar. Nicely balanced, thicker neck. That's when I found that my hands get less fatigue with thicker necks.

- got a great deal on Squier 50s Classic Vibe Strat. Set it up well. Definitely a keeper. You can't beat it for 200$ used.

- etc.

My point is : building a nice collection of used/bargain iconic guitars in the 200-1000$ range was the only way for me to actually find out for myself what the guitars feel and sound like. Some will stay, some have gone. If storage space and finances allow for, why not go down that path ? I'd recommend starting with hardtails, just a few ideas :

- Epiphone 339 (small bodied semi-hollow with splittable buckers)

- Squier Classic 50s Vibe Telecaster or Baja Telecaster

- Squier Stratocaster (either Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe)

- American Strat/Tele

- Gibson SG (epiphones are often neck heavy)

- Gibson Les Paul / Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top / Epiphone Custom Les Paul

To sum up, I'd get iconic stuff (good resale value) at a bargain price (used or discount).

Personally, I think extremely expensive guitars are for people who know exactly what they need in terms of tone, ergonomics and looks. I don't regret any day having a variety of decent to excellent guitars rather than one or two Custom Shop Items which I would be worried for any time they get played (dents, fret wear when practicing awckward bends, etc.)

Getting a new guitar every 6 months is a pleasure too...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterM4

View Post

A nice used "American" Strat !!! Covers all you asked for and more.

I wish that someone would have pointed me in this direction when I started out. American Standard Strat is a good investment.

Also adding a for for the Yamaha THR10 . Fender Mustang, Orange, and Vox good too, but the Yamaha has so much tone in such a small package. Also has the option of battery power when you want to take it to the living room, out on the deck, etc.

• Members

Agree would not be wise to spend a whole lot of money on a first guitar. You need to play a while and play lots of different guitars before making that kind of decision. You may end up like me, someone who likes variety, and prefer 5 or 6 moderately priced guitars of different styles over one very expensive one. Also agree it would be best to start with a hardtail bridge. You've made a wise choice on the amp. Get yourself a nice MIM Fender or Squire, PRS SE, Schecter C1, or a decent Epiphone and get playing. These guitars all play well enough and sound plenty good enough for a beginner. Hell they are good enough for me and I've been playing 40 years. You can have all the gear you need for a good while for well under $1000. Put the rest in the bank for a good amp later, or towards lessons if you decide you need to.

• Members

If you're a first time player and like metal and want something with versatility, then the PRS and Ibanez are good suggestions. Save the remaining money for a good amp and pedals. The USA strat is a good suggestion, but you really have to work up to that - and it doesn't really cover metal needs.

Archived