I just "discovered"......Mike Bloomfield.......WOW !!!!!

bernardo gui

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RogerF

View Post

I really dug Bloomfield's guitar playing on Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited album; his guitar solo on Tombstone Blues just smokes.

Absolutely. Bloomfield is ferocious, a force of nature. I think his playing doesn't necessarily open up for technical analysis, he's a pure feel dude, and the feeling is: blues and bennies, ptry much. Crank it up, drink eight cupsa cawfee, and you'll hear why Dylan hunted him down to put a stamp of no-doubt authority on his early electric stuff.

Bloomfield, Robby Robertson, and John Hammond Jr. played the nastiest tele {censored} imaginable back in the mid sixties. It's all worth digging into. They were all just trying to be Elmore James or Hubert Sumlin... Clapton and Beck raised the stakes a bit, sure, but there's a rawpowa with these guys that is ...I dunno, I'm gonna say indispensable and awe inspiring.

Oh yeah, wanted to add: first Butterfield Blues Album is just mindblowing. Bloomfield totally kills it on "Our Love is Drifting." Best tune on an album with NO duff cuts.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RogerF

View Post

I really dug Bloomfield's guitar playing on Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited album; his guitar solo on Tombstone Blues just smokes.

Absolutely. Bloomfield is ferocious, a force of nature. I think his playing doesn't necessarily open up for technical analysis, he's a pure feel dude, and the feeling is: blues and bennies, ptry much. Crank it up, drink eight cupsa cawfee, and you'll hear why Dylan hunted him down to put a stamp of no-doubt authority on his early electric stuff.

Bloomfield, Robby Robertson, and John Hammond Jr. played the nastiest tele {censored} imaginable back in the mid sixties. It's all worth digging into. They were all just trying to be Elmore James or Hubert Sumlin... Clapton and Beck raised the stakes a bit, sure, but there's a rawpowa with these guys that is ...I dunno, I'm gonna say indispensable and awe inspiring.

Oh yeah, wanted to add: first Butterfield Blues Album is just mindblowing. Bloomfield totally kills it on "Our Love is Drifting." Best tune on an album with NO duff cuts.

• Members

Bloomfield's time in the spotlight was fairly short, and he never reached the level of public attention and fascination that Hendrix did. Like many of his peers he developed a heroin addiction, and for a time around 1970 apparently stopped playing, killing the momentum of his career. It probably didn't help that he didn't get out of San Francisco much in the '70s. The last big label project he did, a band called KGB with bassist Rick Grech and singer Ray Kennedy, wasn't well received and sold poorly.

• Members

Little Steven tells a story on the Underground Garage about Bloomfield coming in out of the rain for the Dylan sessions with an uncased Tele, drying it off with a towel, plugging in, and warming up so ferociously that Al Kooper, who was under the impression that HE was playing on this session, put his guitar back in the case. Kooper then snuck onto the B3 and ended up playing the iconic organ part on "Like a Rolling Stone".

• Members

It always puts a smile on my face when someone discovers the music of a great player that came before them or they never got into the first time around. I can remember wearing out "The Super Sessions" album. Bloomfield came from a privileged family in Chicago where he hung around with a lot of the black blues players cutting his teeth before heading for the west coast. It is a shame he got swallowed up into a heroin addiction that eventually took his life and as stated already made him quit playing for a couple of years. I think if he would of lived when SRV broke and raised the blues from the dead creating one of the best blues periods in history he would of revitalized his career and his legacy would be much stronger. Here is a very interesting interview from Rollingstone magazine from 1968 before it became the sh!t rag it is today- http://www.jannswenner.com/archives/...eld_Part1.aspx

• Members

There was a great article in VG magazine years ago where a guy wrote the mag to tell

them of his story, and they saved it to when they were doing a history of Bloomfield.

It seems the guy had advertised his 72 Fender Tele in a trade paper (in CA I think) in

the late 70s or so. He gets a call and the guy says he is coming to buy the guitar. When the

guy meets him, to his surprise it was none other than Bloomfield.

As stated above, he came from a wealthy family. His father was the CEO (I think)

of a food equipment company in Chicago. So Mike had the funds to run all around town to the

blues clubs when he was teen.

Archived