Jamming with others ?

thecornman

• Members

I'd love to jam with others more. I was in a band for a while and we never played out but had a great time when we got together. Having no singer was the main reason we never even considered playing out and when we finally found one the band fell apart. Still it is hard for me to play in a jam. I have no place to play so it is contingent on the other members having a place, I am older and so people would expect me to be good and they would be wrong and my work and other commitments means the available times are limited. I keep looking for something that would fit but so far there hasn't been anything (though there is a new opportunity that might work). Maybe when I retire (which hopefully will be sooner rather than later) I can find someone who would be willing to hang out with a less polished player idn_smilie.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples

View Post

It's about playing live, for the crowd, not playing with the other musicians who are typically shuffling stumbling drug addled mumble{censored}s.

This, absolutely. I hate jamming, and jammers.

Whether you're a songriter, a lead guitarist or whatever, making real progress takes serious work and application. Jamming is for unemployable lazy misfits with grey ponytails and HUGE glasses*, who think no good music has been made since the last Cream LP.

You're jamming in a pub with a load of other freaks because NOBODY WANTS TO PAY TO HEAR YOUR CRAP!!

In my humble opinion, of course. smile.gif

EDIT *oh, and probably one of those leather hats too

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypeoples

View Post

It's about playing live, for the crowd, not playing with the other musicians who are typically shuffling stumbling drug addled mumble{censored}s.

This, absolutely. I hate jamming, and jammers.

Whether you're a songriter, a lead guitarist or whatever, making real progress takes serious work and application. Jamming is for unemployable lazy misfits with grey ponytails and HUGE glasses*, who think no good music has been made since the last Cream LP.

You're jamming in a pub with a load of other freaks because NOBODY WANTS TO PAY TO HEAR YOUR CRAP!!

In my humble opinion, of course. smile.gif

EDIT *oh, and probably one of those leather hats too

• Members

I love being in a well organize, well rehearsed, really tight band and I love to be on stage. I don't like unstructured jamming like open jams or blues jams, or playing where there isn't an audience. Unless I'm specifically learning songs, I almost never play at home alone.

• Members

I love being in a well organize, well rehearsed, really tight band and I love to be on stage. I don't like unstructured jamming like open jams or blues jams, or playing where there isn't an audience. Unless I'm specifically learning songs, I almost never play at home alone.

• Members

It took a lot of years, but I finally tired of playing exclusively alone and joined the rotation for our band at church. I play roughly every other week, which is enough. Having a goal (specific songs to learn in a specific time frame) means I actually have to practice, instead of just goofing off. I've improved quite a bit in the last 6 months as a result and am having loads of fun.

• Members

It took a lot of years, but I finally tired of playing exclusively alone and joined the rotation for our band at church. I play roughly every other week, which is enough. Having a goal (specific songs to learn in a specific time frame) means I actually have to practice, instead of just goofing off. I've improved quite a bit in the last 6 months as a result and am having loads of fun.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat

View Post

I really enjoy playing with others but I tend to get sick of the band drama pretty quickly which makes me want to go it alone. I was in a three piece a few years back that was doing great until we decided to all live in the same house.

Training your ear is job #1 IMO, no matter how many doodads and whirligigs are out there.

I played in bands MANY years and band drama was ALWAYS a drag. Didn't matter how successful or great the band was, there were always personality issues. These days ( I'm 63, REAL old) I enjoy having no drama. I write and record at home with no stress or conflict. That being said, after taking a 'jam' hiatus for a few years, I do get together with some old buds once a month. After not having the interplay with others, I do enjoy what sometimes happens. However, again, it also reminds me of the other guys' personalities and quirks which can be both positive and negative in a musical situation. I would think I represent the same challenges for them.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by billythegoat

View Post

I really enjoy playing with others but I tend to get sick of the band drama pretty quickly which makes me want to go it alone. I was in a three piece a few years back that was doing great until we decided to all live in the same house.

Training your ear is job #1 IMO, no matter how many doodads and whirligigs are out there.

I played in bands MANY years and band drama was ALWAYS a drag. Didn't matter how successful or great the band was, there were always personality issues. These days ( I'm 63, REAL old) I enjoy having no drama. I write and record at home with no stress or conflict. That being said, after taking a 'jam' hiatus for a few years, I do get together with some old buds once a month. After not having the interplay with others, I do enjoy what sometimes happens. However, again, it also reminds me of the other guys' personalities and quirks which can be both positive and negative in a musical situation. I would think I represent the same challenges for them.

• Members

I think it's cool whether you play by yourself at home or garage or play with a band and do live gigs. I happen to play in 3 gigging bands and yes it can be a pain in the ass in terms of personal commitment and time management but that goes with the territory. Some people don't like that part of playing music and simply want to play for themselves or friends at home because they like the challenge and want to express themselves creatively. I know many people like that.

• Members

I think it's cool whether you play by yourself at home or garage or play with a band and do live gigs. I happen to play in 3 gigging bands and yes it can be a pain in the ass in terms of personal commitment and time management but that goes with the territory. Some people don't like that part of playing music and simply want to play for themselves or friends at home because they like the challenge and want to express themselves creatively. I know many people like that.

• Members

For me, I'd love to play with other people. I have two little ones (2 years, and a 6 month old) so my playing time is either after everyone's in bed or I wake up early some days just to play. And unfortunately, I have no friends that play. I'd love to have someone else learn licks from and what not, but my current situation doesn't allow it.

I guess that's why I started a solo acoustic blues course a few months ago.

• Members

For me, I'd love to play with other people. I have two little ones (2 years, and a 6 month old) so my playing time is either after everyone's in bed or I wake up early some days just to play. And unfortunately, I have no friends that play. I'd love to have someone else learn licks from and what not, but my current situation doesn't allow it.

I guess that's why I started a solo acoustic blues course a few months ago.

• Members

Learning to play by EAR is really important if you are Jamming /playing live or doing sessions. In all asspect of playing you have to know by ear what will work and what won't .Reading is great but most guitarist are 'nt very good reader even at the highest level player ( Steve Via and top studio players are the exception to this).Feel is also important as is not playing the same old riffs. Melodies and or melodic passages help make your playing stand out from the crowd. Playing with others helps you develop these chops and being aware of what others are playing at all time will guide you to play the right thing.

• Members

Learning to play by EAR is really important if you are Jamming /playing live or doing sessions. In all asspect of playing you have to know by ear what will work and what won't .Reading is great but most guitarist are 'nt very good reader even at the highest level player ( Steve Via and top studio players are the exception to this).Feel is also important as is not playing the same old riffs. Melodies and or melodic passages help make your playing stand out from the crowd. Playing with others helps you develop these chops and being aware of what others are playing at all time will guide you to play the right thing.

• Members

Making music (in any context) and performing may or may not be the same thing. I see it as two very distinct parts of the equation. I know of some mediocre musicians...not bad, just average...that are amazing performers. Fun to watch! They interact well with the band and the audience. But I wouldn't buy the album just to listen to the guitar player or lead singer -meh.

Conversely, there are some phenominal musicians that make extraordinary music that simply would suck the life right out of me if I had to listen to them live.

I was told by someone years ago that if I wanted to quit my 'day job' I would have to learn to put on a show.

I'm not a great musician. I'm an even worse performer. But I hugely enjoy playing music live in front of a crowd. To do what I enjoy the most I had to not only learn to be a better musician but I had to learn to be a better performer.

Some come by that naturally...me, not so easily.

• Members

Making music (in any context) and performing may or may not be the same thing. I see it as two very distinct parts of the equation. I know of some mediocre musicians...not bad, just average...that are amazing performers. Fun to watch! They interact well with the band and the audience. But I wouldn't buy the album just to listen to the guitar player or lead singer -meh.

Conversely, there are some phenominal musicians that make extraordinary music that simply would suck the life right out of me if I had to listen to them live.

I was told by someone years ago that if I wanted to quit my 'day job' I would have to learn to put on a show.

I'm not a great musician. I'm an even worse performer. But I hugely enjoy playing music live in front of a crowd. To do what I enjoy the most I had to not only learn to be a better musician but I had to learn to be a better performer.

Some come by that naturally...me, not so easily.

• Members

I've been a home hobbyist guitar player since '84 (although I've had a guitar around since at least '67). But I've always enjoyed playing with my stepson. Now my son is a bit of a dick when it comes to jamming. He'll come up with some rhythm backing that is so dull and boring that you can tell he's not at all into it. But with my stepson we'll go back and forth between rhythm and lead and some of the stuff we've created on the run would be good enough for pressing. wink.gif

And it's funny that just this last November, I got into a neighborhood band (about 8 members) and it is funny to see the different personalities trying to express themselves, whether it's them try to direct or sometimes with me, I'd just like them to back off and let me do what I want to do (especially since they may not understand what it is I'm actually doing). But it's fun. But so far we've just done the neighborhood block party and next May we're supposed to perform for the opening season of the Yacht Club. (Dingies and Kazzoos smile.gif J/K)

But yeah, I'd rather be in a band but by the time I got into guitar persistently, I was already 27, and by the time I was good, I was well past the garage band age. One thing that is cool about my neighborhood band is that two of the guys (especially the keyboard player) have been professional touring musicians (one of them I know for sure, it has been his life-long occupation). So we've got some folks in there that really know what they are doing. But unfortunately, they aren't the ones trying to direct the band. We've got a guy singing who's just fair, but has LSD icon_lol.gif. And his wife on bass supports his whims. But anyway, it's all good and I hope we can keep it together and I hope it leads to other ventures for me outside of da hood. wink.gif

• Members

I've been a home hobbyist guitar player since '84 (although I've had a guitar around since at least '67). But I've always enjoyed playing with my stepson. Now my son is a bit of a dick when it comes to jamming. He'll come up with some rhythm backing that is so dull and boring that you can tell he's not at all into it. But with my stepson we'll go back and forth between rhythm and lead and some of the stuff we've created on the run would be good enough for pressing. wink.gif

And it's funny that just this last November, I got into a neighborhood band (about 8 members) and it is funny to see the different personalities trying to express themselves, whether it's them try to direct or sometimes with me, I'd just like them to back off and let me do what I want to do (especially since they may not understand what it is I'm actually doing). But it's fun. But so far we've just done the neighborhood block party and next May we're supposed to perform for the opening season of the Yacht Club. (Dingies and Kazzoos smile.gif J/K)

But yeah, I'd rather be in a band but by the time I got into guitar persistently, I was already 27, and by the time I was good, I was well past the garage band age. One thing that is cool about my neighborhood band is that two of the guys (especially the keyboard player) have been professional touring musicians (one of them I know for sure, it has been his life-long occupation). So we've got some folks in there that really know what they are doing. But unfortunately, they aren't the ones trying to direct the band. We've got a guy singing who's just fair, but has LSD icon_lol.gif. And his wife on bass supports his whims. But anyway, it's all good and I hope we can keep it together and I hope it leads to other ventures for me outside of da hood. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thecornman View Post
Just go to the last Rocksmith thread and you will see a few there that said training your ear is not importent! Guess it is the old way of doing things for geezers.
I doubt you ever heard of the geezer named Fred Waring who was the leader of a big band back in the day. Mr. Waring found out that his young guitar player could not really read music He was just using his ear.
This was unacceptable and not a true professional so this guitar player, Les Paul was fired.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thecornman View Post
Just go to the last Rocksmith thread and you will see a few there that said training your ear is not importent! Guess it is the old way of doing things for geezers.
I doubt you ever heard of the geezer named Fred Waring who was the leader of a big band back in the day. Mr. Waring found out that his young guitar player could not really read music He was just using his ear.
This was unacceptable and not a true professional so this guitar player, Les Paul was fired.

• Members

I love jamming alone, or jamming at a show. Alone. Haha.

For co-jamming, it has to be a very specific type of person / people, with very specific (or very eclectic!) tastes. I'm a snob. Haha. But I'm not gonna waste my time jamming and not enjoying it.

• Members

I love jamming alone, or jamming at a show. Alone. Haha.

For co-jamming, it has to be a very specific type of person / people, with very specific (or very eclectic!) tastes. I'm a snob. Haha. But I'm not gonna waste my time jamming and not enjoying it.

Archived