Jamming with others ?

thecornman

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chipwich

View Post

I own a business, have a 2 year old, and the wife is expecting twins. Still, I manage to get in a couple of hours playing nightly when everyone has gone to bed. But the most fun is getting together with a couple of other guys to jam once a month. The 3 of us have been doing this for about 5 or 6 years now. We've never gigged, and most likely never will, but all enjoy playing together immensely. We think of ourselves lucky.

Sounds like a great place to be for sure!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by chipwich

View Post

I own a business, have a 2 year old, and the wife is expecting twins. Still, I manage to get in a couple of hours playing nightly when everyone has gone to bed. But the most fun is getting together with a couple of other guys to jam once a month. The 3 of us have been doing this for about 5 or 6 years now. We've never gigged, and most likely never will, but all enjoy playing together immensely. We think of ourselves lucky.

Sounds like a great place to be for sure!

• Members

I agree with everything Dave said. I remember even being in the Junior High School band and thinking 'It's so great to be a part of making this wonderful sound.' In fact today if I could find a big-band situation I'd love it.

I will say though, that I don't really like 'jamming', or at least what jamming usually ends up being with random people that just want to play.

• Members

I agree with everything Dave said. I remember even being in the Junior High School band and thinking 'It's so great to be a part of making this wonderful sound.' In fact today if I could find a big-band situation I'd love it.

I will say though, that I don't really like 'jamming', or at least what jamming usually ends up being with random people that just want to play.

• Members

Man, I'm all about "plays well w/others."

Frankly, sitting around playing alone holds abso ZERO interest for me. Every now and then it will occur outta sheer boredom, but, no. That's why I'm ALWAYS in a band if I can manage it. And better yet, more than one band. I haven't been in less than 2 bands simultaneously in decades, so long as one counts (as one should) church bands (which in my case actually play much more regularly-- at least once a week and sometimes more, than my original material rock bands).

For quite awhile a few years ago I was in 3 or or 4 or even 5 bands simultaneously: Crash Pad (main band: old school punk rock and roll originals; lead guitar/lead vocals), First Things First (church; lead guitar and occasional mandolin and rare banjo w/occasional backing vox), Hoyt and the Hotheads (roots/y'allternative originals; lead guitar or bass, depending, and backing vox), Cinnamon Hill (acoustic-oriented rawk; mandolin, guitar); Pedagogy (pop originals and covers; first bass, then lead guitar, and backing vox).

From a technical standpoint I'm a crap player. BUT I can be dropped into most rock/pop/nonjazz sitches and get along pretty well, adding something without taking away anything. At what turned out to be the last Hotheads gig a couple years back, I played bass in our trio set, but sat in on guitar w/zero prep/rehearsal, just totally winging it on original songs I'd never heard before, w/two other bands on the bill. One of the bands asked me to join them as a result, but at the time I was already too close to overextended.

• Members

Man, I'm all about "plays well w/others."

Frankly, sitting around playing alone holds abso ZERO interest for me. Every now and then it will occur outta sheer boredom, but, no. That's why I'm ALWAYS in a band if I can manage it. And better yet, more than one band. I haven't been in less than 2 bands simultaneously in decades, so long as one counts (as one should) church bands (which in my case actually play much more regularly-- at least once a week and sometimes more, than my original material rock bands).

For quite awhile a few years ago I was in 3 or or 4 or even 5 bands simultaneously: Crash Pad (main band: old school punk rock and roll originals; lead guitar/lead vocals), First Things First (church; lead guitar and occasional mandolin and rare banjo w/occasional backing vox), Hoyt and the Hotheads (roots/y'allternative originals; lead guitar or bass, depending, and backing vox), Cinnamon Hill (acoustic-oriented rawk; mandolin, guitar); Pedagogy (pop originals and covers; first bass, then lead guitar, and backing vox).

From a technical standpoint I'm a crap player. BUT I can be dropped into most rock/pop/nonjazz sitches and get along pretty well, adding something without taking away anything. At what turned out to be the last Hotheads gig a couple years back, I played bass in our trio set, but sat in on guitar w/zero prep/rehearsal, just totally winging it on original songs I'd never heard before, w/two other bands on the bill. One of the bands asked me to join them as a result, but at the time I was already too close to overextended.

• Members

I'm lucky that most of my friends can play enough guitar to jam. We love it! We are all bedroom players although a couple have played in bands when they were younger. We all have different levels of playing and enjoy not only the music, but creating something amongst mates. It's one of the things in my life I really look forward to. That said, I play guitar alone for the most part.

• Members

I'm lucky that most of my friends can play enough guitar to jam. We love it! We are all bedroom players although a couple have played in bands when they were younger. We all have different levels of playing and enjoy not only the music, but creating something amongst mates. It's one of the things in my life I really look forward to. That said, I play guitar alone for the most part.

• Members

many people on here also have said to them training and using your ear is not importent

Who the F*** says that? Your ear is the most important thing.

I love jamming with other people, and used to be in a bunch of bands. Playing with other musicians is more fun, a great way to learn, and super creative. It both tests you and brings out the best. That said, I'm just too busy to play with other people right now so I'm in woodshedding phase. I practice virtually every day, but rarely with other people. I miss it, but I have other priorities. I will go over to a buddy's house a couple times a year and play together for a bit, but that's all I can manage at this point. When the kid is a bit older and some of his issues have passed I hope to find more time to play with others.

• Members

many people on here also have said to them training and using your ear is not importent

I love jamming with other people, and used to be in a bunch of bands. Playing with other musicians is more fun, a great way to learn, and super creative. It both tests you and brings out the best. That said, I'm just too busy to play with other people right now so I'm in woodshedding phase. I practice virtually every day, but rarely with other people. I miss it, but I have other priorities. I will go over to a buddy's house a couple times a year and play together for a bit, but that's all I can manage at this point. When the kid is a bit older and some of his issues have passed I hope to find more time to play with others.

• Members

• Members

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire

View Post

Just go to the last Rocksmith thread and you will see a few there that said training your ear is not importent! Guess it is the old way of doing things for geezers.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BydoEmpire

View Post

Just go to the last Rocksmith thread and you will see a few there that said training your ear is not importent! Guess it is the old way of doing things for geezers.

• Members

I mostly play by myself now out of necessity, but I would love to play in a band again if I had the time to commit to it. Not only does playing with others push me to play better, but there's also just something about those moments when I'm playing with a group of people and everything comes together to sound "on." Full sound, everyone's doing their part... it reminds me of why I enjoy playing music in the first place. Then there's also the social aspect of it -- of course, rehearsals are about getting the songs down, but I was also friends with most of my bandmates so rehearsals were almost always a fun time for me and something to look forward to each week.

That said, I was never really a fan of jamming in the sense of one person playing a riff for 20 minutes while everyone else kind of noodles around it. I always preferred the more structured approach of let's pick a song and work on it. I don't think I'd do too well in a jam band.

• Members

I mostly play by myself now out of necessity, but I would love to play in a band again if I had the time to commit to it. Not only does playing with others push me to play better, but there's also just something about those moments when I'm playing with a group of people and everything comes together to sound "on." Full sound, everyone's doing their part... it reminds me of why I enjoy playing music in the first place. Then there's also the social aspect of it -- of course, rehearsals are about getting the songs down, but I was also friends with most of my bandmates so rehearsals were almost always a fun time for me and something to look forward to each week.

That said, I was never really a fan of jamming in the sense of one person playing a riff for 20 minutes while everyone else kind of noodles around it. I always preferred the more structured approach of let's pick a song and work on it. I don't think I'd do too well in a jam band.

• Members

I don't particularly like playing with other people. Its probably a result of me being such an introverted person. I've never really done much of it, so whenever I'm a situation where it happens, it ends up feeling really awkward. I'm also not a particularly assertive person when it comes to playing, so I get stepped on a lot, and I get annoyed. In terms of playing ability, I'm not a very good lead player, mostly because I've never cared enough to learn how to do it; in a jam, that means all I can do is provide backing for other people to solo over, and that's insanely boring. It doesn't help that most musicians I know aren't into the same music as I am, so I end up not even liking the music we end up playing. I also never really feel the need to show off stuff I do creatively, so I never even feel the need to play with others in the first place. It's just something I don't really care about, and when it happens, doesn't go well.

The only time I don't mind it is in situations where I'm writing with one or two people (at the very most) that I like, can work with, and share similar tastes in music. That's incredibly rare for me, and it's only happened a couple of times. I haven't been in a band in years and I haven't felt like joining on since.

• Members

I don't particularly like playing with other people. Its probably a result of me being such an introverted person. I've never really done much of it, so whenever I'm a situation where it happens, it ends up feeling really awkward. I'm also not a particularly assertive person when it comes to playing, so I get stepped on a lot, and I get annoyed. In terms of playing ability, I'm not a very good lead player, mostly because I've never cared enough to learn how to do it; in a jam, that means all I can do is provide backing for other people to solo over, and that's insanely boring. It doesn't help that most musicians I know aren't into the same music as I am, so I end up not even liking the music we end up playing. I also never really feel the need to show off stuff I do creatively, so I never even feel the need to play with others in the first place. It's just something I don't really care about, and when it happens, doesn't go well.

The only time I don't mind it is in situations where I'm writing with one or two people (at the very most) that I like, can work with, and share similar tastes in music. That's incredibly rare for me, and it's only happened a couple of times. I haven't been in a band in years and I haven't felt like joining on since.

• Members

I always tell my guitar students the best way to learn is to play with other musicians of similar skill level. There are some things you can only learn through experience.

Having said that, there's nothing worse than aimless jamming. It helps to establish a form from the outset, and a leader is necessary with larger groups.

• Members

I always tell my guitar students the best way to learn is to play with other musicians of similar skill level. There are some things you can only learn through experience.

Having said that, there's nothing worse than aimless jamming. It helps to establish a form from the outset, and a leader is necessary with larger groups.

• Members

I'd love to jam with others more. I was in a band for a while and we never played out but had a great time when we got together. Having no singer was the main reason we never even considered playing out and when we finally found one the band fell apart. Still it is hard for me to play in a jam. I have no place to play so it is contingent on the other members having a place, I am older and so people would expect me to be good and they would be wrong and my work and other commitments means the available times are limited. I keep looking for something that would fit but so far there hasn't been anything (though there is a new opportunity that might work). Maybe when I retire (which hopefully will be sooner rather than later) I can find someone who would be willing to hang out with a less polished player idn_smilie.gif

Archived