Are used Carvin guitars worthless??

SPONGEBOB

• Members

I see them going so dirt cheap its a crime??.. I have a Carvin left handed, neck through single cut, with an ebony fingerboard.. Its called an SC 90... Made in USA, hard case and NO playwear.. Has a few hours on it at best.. However when I tried to sell it for $300 I never had even one response.. WTF???... A USA built neck through, ebony, Sperzal tuners, and I can't even get what people pay for used Agiles???.. Good thing its not mine, I was selling for a friend...
I told the guy I would have it sold in a few days.. yeah, good luck..
Never tried to sell a carvin before... The only other guitar that gave me this much trouble was USA built Schecter Custom Shop Hellcat... Incredible guitar with 3 mini Duncans... I finally traded it away being unable to sell it at any price.. Yet people will buy Korean and Chinese crap all day, as long as it says Fender or epiphone on the headstock... Are Carvins always so hard to move, or is it possible its because its left handed??.. bob

• Members

New Carvins are a good deal. Used Carvins are a great deal. Carvin is one of my favorite brands. I love their guitars. But it takes me longer to sell a Carvin than anything else. I usually break even or make a few dollars. But not much. Used Carvins hold their value. New Carvins depreciate quickly.

• Members

Not worth a lot of money on the resale market doesn't mean worthless.

They're excellent guitars that don't hold their value, unfortunately...I'd say be patient and eventually someone will come along, appreciate the quality and give you closer to what you're looking for.

• Members

They just dont have the cache of brands like PRS, Gibson, etc. Part of that problem is that :

1. You dont see a lot of artists playing them
2. You cant walk into a store to play one

I for one have never played a newer production Carvin. I know they have a return policy, but I have never pulled the trigger on a new one because I don't want to lose 50-70% should I decide to sell it down the road.

• Members

Sorry but I disagree with Carvins not holding value. Have you priced used Carvins on ebay ? I buy and sell guitars and Carvins always sell for a good price. Problem I have is when I pick a used one up I hate to part with it. Thats why my Carvin collection is growing faster than other brands. The one your selling being a lefty is an issue. Not many lefty's out there. I am left handed, but play right handed.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterM4

View Post

Sorry but I disagree with Carvins not holding value. Have you priced used Carvins on ebay ? I buy and sell guitars and Carvins always sell for a good price. Problem I have is when I pick a used one up I hate to part with it. Thats why my Carvin collection is growing faster than other brands. The one your selling being a lefty is an issue. Not many lefty's out there. I am left handed, but play right handed.

they certainly get listed for high amounts but if you go to completed auctions, there are a lot of them that don't sell at higher prices. That said, I agree it would probably sell right away at $300 if it were a righty.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SPONGEBOB

View Post

If anyone can use it, $250 takes it... bob

Shit...if we were neighbors, I'd loan you $250, assuming you're that hard up. If you can, wait til the economy improves(if it ever does)...NO American-made guitar of Carvin's quality should be sold for that pittance frown.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

Shit...if we were neighbors, I'd loan you $250, assuming you're that hard up. If you can, wait til the economy improves(if it ever does)...NO American-made guitar of Carvin's quality should be sold for that pittance frown.gif

No not hard up... Believe it or not, even at $250 the guy that owns it will be MAKING money, thats how little he paid... Looks as good as any Gibson/Hamer USA etc... Shades of that Schecter USA Hellcat I had.. A gorgeous high end guitar USA built, that sells for the same price as a used Korean made Agile... ridiculous... bob

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tlbonehead

View Post

they certainly get listed for high amounts but if you go to completed auctions, there are a lot of them that don't sell at higher prices. That said, I agree it would probably sell right away at $300 if it were a righty.

I always get what I ask for them or more, so thats all I care about. And your right, I would have grabbed it up too if it was a righty, in a heartbeat !!!

• Members

Definitely one of the best kept secrets in the guitar world.

The quality-to-price ratio & customization-to-price ratio are both excellent. They use gorgeous woods, and build quality is top-notch (and if either doesn't please you, just return it or ask for a rebuild. Impressive.)

They've also made some super ugly guitars (the shapes, mostly. Or someone with no design/color sense custom spec'd an ugly beast.
Used prices aren't rock bottom, but are a bit lower than Gibson/Fender/etc. Ideally, you have them build you your custom-spec'd holy grail and don't sell it. But you can also snatch up a used one at a good price. For the most part--as long as you're not the type to buy and resell within a year--everyone wins, imo.

Archived